.nuxx (new version)

Pearls Girl
Moaner

last three in severe cumulo nimbus
Old 09-16-2010, 06:07 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

Re: Kentish Town Forum 16-09-2010
its an entire show of heavy hitters now?
Old 09-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Spooky Shoes
Sole Man

I made the mistake of making assumptions about this gig as I seem to remember "One Off" and "Exclusive" being banded about. I assumed that there would be more from Barking, what was aired was excellent, Diamond Jigsaw got a lot of people moving (Considering that most people there may, if at all) only heard it in the last couple of days.

KOS onward almost felt like another act, I left during Moaner....Which worked out quite well in my favour, got the last singed "wnjr" Tee, which my wife will only be allowed to wear on special occasions.

Between Stars & Diamond Jigsaw as much as I enjoyed them split they set in two Ooooh/oh. Not sure if it was the rigidity compared to the other B stuff...

http://i56.tinypic.com/33arjw2.jpg <-- Looks like Steve & Mike are praying.

http://i51.tinypic.com/s3q64z.jpg

Last edited by Spooky Shoes; 09-16-2010 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Pic
Old 09-16-2010, 07:25 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky Shoes View Post
I assumed that there would be more from Barking, what was aired was excellent,
More?? They played over half the album. Louisiana and Moon in Water will never be played live. Hamburg Hotel, although it's had a (some?) live performance, is probably not going to show up much, if at all. Grace doesn't really lend itself to live either, I think.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:46 AM
David Hughes
river

First post here but just wanted to share my photos and video (more to follow) from last night.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/djahugh...th/4998270906/

What a gig!

Cheers,

David
Old 09-17-2010, 02:31 AM
//\/\/
slogging it out

mate (who i should have been stood beside) reports 'sound was a bit iffy and they fucked up born slippy, but still good)
Old 09-17-2010, 02:31 AM
Spooky Shoes
Sole Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
More??
Yes, quantified too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Hamburg Hotel, although it's had a (some?) live performance, is probably not going to show up much, if at all.
As you see it wasn't an entirely unreasonable assumption, but that is all it was, an assumption.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:39 AM
Liverpool Street
river

Am I the only one who found this gig disappointing? Far too much off Barking which alienated most of the crowd. There were no surprises or memorable moments for me in this gig, no Banstyle or the like chucked in. I'd love to hear what others think. Am I being too hard or maybe my expectations were set too high?
Old 09-17-2010, 02:54 AM
Spooky Shoes
Sole Man

I didn't think it was so much alienation, more lack of familiarity as the album was only released a few days ago.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:01 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

i wasn't there obviously.... but it was billed as a Barking launch gig... so five songs from the album - all of which were the upbeat numbers, plus Downpipe, which by all accounts only just missed being included on the album, isn't a bad return for your money... i wouldn't have expected a much different playlist... and as much as i like the mellower tracks - it would have brought down the mood to play the others in a show like this....

not sure what people are expecting... for most people this will be the first time that these songs have been played to them live...Underworld are not doing gigs for 'hardcore fans' at the moment (or any more ?) (go back home and dig into the live archives for these types of gigs... even dig out the Tokyo CD - thats epic enough...)

Obviously you still get the crowd pleasers of moaner / bs etc... sounded like an upbeat set... they've been doing these tracks for years, so its easy to make them sound the same... the newer stuff is taking time to get right and for the main, the guys seem to be perfecting these without wanting to mess around with the 'old' established tracks to give hardcore fans a 'geeky' - 'wasn't that unique' moment....

at the moment you are not going to get any Underworld gigs with long interludes and epic tracks... they've done that over many years... the type of audience that likes to see UW these days (i.e. the festival goers) needs quick fix - quick beats guick thrills and this is what this gig does... ticks all those boxes

its memorable big tunes with singalong / dancealong anthems...

it might not be UW of old, but this is a new era Underworld - doing whats wanted of them by the majority - and in these hard times... the guys seem to be enjoying giving people what they want, its not like its shit music... its a new Era Underworld - but its still Underworld - and I think the team are really enjoying it....