Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 07-08-2005, 05:58 PM
Animal Boything
mouseman

Send a message via AIM to Animal Boything
The good albums of 2005
Hi, everyone. Good to be back. I'm a little surprised there isn't a thread like this already. Maybe there is and/or I'm dumb.

Anyway, this isn't intended as a top ten list or anything, let's just say a few words about the new albums we're digging so far this year, and see where it goes.

M.I.A. - Arular This is both the most exciting debut album and the best dance album I've heard since probably the Avalanches. It seems almost like a cliché to mention it now since it's topping so many critics' lists already, but holy shit, I can't get enough of this record. It's everything I love rolled into one. I can see this being a real "love it or hate it" sort of thing, because it's so raw, but I'm fully convinced of its worth.

Stephen Malkmus - Face the Truth This is like his eighth great album in a row if you count the Pavement years, so it's hard to think of anything new to say, but it doesn't make it any less great. It's not his best ever, but it's plenty good enough for me.

Spoon - Gimme Fiction Not the best Spoon album (I still think that credit goes to Girls Can Tell) but this band continues to amaze me with their originality and their always good, often great tunes. I keep hoping these guys are going to blow up and sell ten million records, but they seem to hover slightly below the radar. If you haven't already, check them out.

Lou Barlow - EMOH The original lo-fi indie rocker (of Dinosaur Jr., Sebadoh and Folk Implosion fame) Has released a real solo album after years of groups and pseudonyms, and it's quite good. Several of his old bandmates make appearances, and there's a surprisingly awesome cover of "Round-n-Round" by Ratt. And a song about his cat.

Alaska! - Rescue Through Tomahawk I'm always hyping this largely unknown trio to people, mostly because they're nice enough to play a lot of gigs in my shitty town, and because their guitarist fucking shreds. (He's on that Lou Barlow album a little bit too, as well as on the last Folk Implosion record.) Their first album was a little better, I think, but I'm always happy to hear from them. There aren't enough cool guitar bands in America right now so these guys are a precious commodity. They're going on tour with Dinosaur Jr. Pretty soon, and apparently they'll be selling a single which contains a new version of their old song SS, more like the live version, and that makes me want to shriek with joy because that song was always the highlight of their amazing live shows. Bonus fact: the girl who plays the drums is really cute.

That's it for now. I'm usually a bit slow to buy new releases. What have you got?
Old 07-08-2005, 06:15 PM
gambit
magic city writer

Re: The good albums of 2005
Out Hud - Let Us Never Speak of It Again - Out Hud's sophmore album is an album of the year contender. Remarkable work, and I doubt I need to say much about them around here.

Gorillaz - Demon Days - The cartoon band returns with a stunning album. Dan the Automator out; Danger Mouse in, and what a difference. Personally, I feel this album is not only much more varied than their debut but also much much better.

LCD Soundsystem - LCD Soundsystem - James Murphy is a master in this debut. It's indie rock meets indie electronic, but even though Murphy puts together great songs, the album doesn't seem to gel. Still, great work altogether.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:58 AM
entropy
river

konono nr 1 - congotronics
queens of the stone age - lullabies to paralyze

ivan smagghe - fabric 23
alan braxe and friends - the uppercuts
damian lazarus - suck my deck
m.a.n.d.y. - body language vol 1
Old 07-09-2005, 04:38 AM
Dave
is floating

I mentioned
Martha Wainwright - Martha Wainwright ,
Eels - Blinking Lights and other Revelations, and
Blueprint - 1988
in the New Discoveries thread.

I'll add to those these favourites from '05...

Iron & Wine - Woman King [ep] - A little different than his previous albums, not as quiet, but just as good. I hope it's a sign of things to come from his new album and collaboration with Calexico

The Lucksmiths - Warmer Corners - This is an aussie band who I heard a lot about but never bothered to check out. I'm glad I did. Sort of like Postal Service but less computer, more guitar.

The Books - Lost and Safe - Third album from these guys. Sort of hard to describe, experimental percussion with sampled dialogue but with an acoustic base which keeps it flowing. Plus more actual singing than their previous two albums.

Sufjan Stevens - Illonois - Ok, i think I read somewhere (pitchfork?) that he was planning to dedicate an album to every US state. If thats true its kind of amazing that he decided to make Seven Swan's in between Greetings From Michigan and this one. But it's probably not true. Great pop-folk.

+ Lemon Jelly - '64 - '95

Dave

Last edited by Dave; 07-09-2005 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:58 AM
Eikman
a life less extraordinary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave

Sufjan Stevens - Illonois - Ok, i think I read somewhere (pitchfork?) that he was planning to dedicate an album to every US state. If thats true its kind of amazing that he decided to make Seven Swan's in between Greetings From Michigan and this one. But it's probably not true.
it is true
Old 07-09-2005, 05:30 AM
desperado
river

Royksopp - The Understanding deluxe - one of must have albums from this year.
Oh and welcome back dirty.org I hope you (Scott & Yannick) are working hardly on tweaking this forum becouse old look and scheme was much better
Old 07-09-2005, 05:41 AM
undarrenworld
bungalow

[color=red]No [/color][color=black]- Waiting For The Sirens Call[/color]
The Chemical Brothers - Push The Button
Deep Dish - George Is On
Old 07-10-2005, 10:52 AM
GforGroove
marca libre

Isoleé- We are monster
Miranda! - Es Mentira
Out Hud - Let us Never speak of it vagain
Ok Cowboy - Vitalic
Demon Days - Gorillaz
Today- mixed by Superpitcher
Krazee - Silvie Marks & HAL9000
Beck-Guero
The Life Acuatic - OST

for now..
Old 07-10-2005, 11:37 AM
Scott Warner
delicious candy taster

Send a message via AIM to Scott Warner
Never Let Us Speak Of It Again by Out Hud
We Are Monster by Isolee
Ok Cowboy by Vitalic
1981 by Markus Guentner
Less Than Human by The Juan Maclean
Old 07-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Alatt Született - Taking breakcore to a whole new level, utterly amazing stuff.

Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake Its Morning - When hes not wasted and slagging off John Peel and live aid.

Kid Carpet - Ideas And Oh Dears - A collection of 18 very unique sounds all pretty much made from kids instruments and weird samples.

M83 - Before The Dawn Heals Us - Proves he can do it on his own.