Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:33 PM
vacant
pretty

Help Me with my dissertation, please!
Hi Dirts.

I understand that this might not be the best place for this, but I think I'd get a wider range of responses then from RTSR.

Basically, as part of my Masters I intend to chart the difference and variations in versions of Rez/Cowgirl as recorded by the band and played live.
I'm not counting remixes not by the band (so all those on the Dirty Epic/Cowgirl EP can be considered) but I'm looking for a concise list of versions.

I have most of the 'album' versions, and I've got some of the Live Here Now CD's (as well as some other Live Recordings)

What I would appreciate is for someone to help me find a list of every version, no matter how subtle in difference of Rez/Cowgirl that has been played and recorded.

If people could furnish me with MP3's of any live shows they have (I only need the one track, not the whole show) then I'd be really greatful.

I appreciate that there may be concerns with copyright issues, although as I understand it you are allowed to sample portions of copyrighted material for educational use.

Likewise, if anyone has any thoughts and views they'd like to give me on Rez/Cowgirl (either/or) then that would be appreciated too.

Cheers
V.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:27 AM
Mike
born013

Re: Help Me with my dissertation, please!
Hey "V" (or whatever your real name is)..

Sounds like a nice topic for your dissertation, one im sure you will enjoy alot.

An old friend of mine, Liam, did a thesis on the differences with Dark & Long live / studio as part of his International Baccalaureate - this is the old thread, however the link to the actual thesis is old and expired http://www.borndirty.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2501

As far as a full complete list of Rez / Cowgirl, here are the ones i could find from the "songography":

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } cowgirl (album) 08:29 v, cd, cs
cowgirl (bedrock mix) 11:50 v, cd, cde
cowgirl (bedrock radio edit) 4:16 cd
cowgirl (cd single album) 08:55 v, cd, cs
cowgirl (future shock mix) 08:27 cd
cowgirl (future shock mix) 09:30 v, cd, cde
cowgirl (irish pub in kyoto mix) 11:45 v, cd
cowgirl (live radio edit) 03:39 cd, cde
cowgirl (winjer mix) 06:25 v, cd
rez 09:55 v, cd

Im sure there are loads more, including all the various LHN versions... but it should give you an idea.

As far as live recordings, with a massive number of bootlegs in circulation, most of them have Rez / Cowgirl in some form stretching from 1994 - 2010 - your best bet would be to join / explore rtsr trade to get the stuff you need.

Hope that helps a little bit.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:53 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

yeah, pretty much every time they play it live, there is some variation and differences. No two times are exactly alike. And like Mike says, there are a LOT of recordings of it over the years.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:54 AM
Dunwho
Big Time

Hey man, in the same boat as you concerning dissertations on UW at the moment.

If you want my two cents, and I am simply writing this from my own point of view without any specific, trained knowledge of musical composition, and/or electronic/dance music composition...so feel free to ignore this......

the idea of defining "variations" as referring to a composition in Rez/Cowgirl or any UW song for that matter is i think the wrong direction and missing the point in terms of how UW work musically and how electronic music composition has developed over the last 40 years.

Dance music developed and thrived on the principle of the loop as developed by experimental artists like John Cage and in new technologies like the sampler or loop machines, through Disco into house, acid, techno and onwards.. obviously UW becoming involved in this process in the early 90s.

UW songs are configurations of loops that are pre-composed individually and exist independently of each other. These loops create the songs as a whole but there is no obligation at any point to have one specific loop occur at a specific point in the song.. that is to say that as long as each loop exists at some point in the song, the song - even though constructed differently - is essentially the same as any other.

However if the song has an extra or new loop included in the composition... such as a new synth line or a different drum beat... or if the song is missing a loop such as in TMO you would often not have the spoken word interlude at the mid point of the song... then the song IS different and is not made up of the same amount of parts as another variation.

Furthermore there is the added and unpredictable element of Karls Vocals and Guitar playing. He may or may not sing the whole song for Rez/Cowgirl, as heard in the Rotterdam show 29-01-08 .... or he may end the song with a few lines from Skyscraper or River of Bass... or as heard at one of the Japanese festivals he may sing some Rolling Stones and U2 lyrics... and then the guitar may be involved in a completely improvised fashion.

This variance of composition means that as the Bang pointed out, every performance they have ever done of the song is pretty much individual and unique...

So what I am trying to suggest is that instead of looking at the variations of Rez/Cowgirl in terms of how it sounds or how it is constructed temporally, really the only way to do it is to identify the individual elements/loops that have been added to or taken away from the songs over the years and whether they occur in the recording/performance. And you can do this by taking the studio versions of Rez and Cowgirl as your control and identifying the individual loops in there first then working outwards.

I wish you the best of luck with what you are doing of course and I hope you can make a copy of your dissertation available to us to read when you are done.. It should be real interesting.