Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2011, 08:22 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Re: Underworld in Writing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champiness View Post
What is this in reference to? The only thing I can think of is this one video I saw of Moaner where Karl had a pink dress on.

well - I think what he means is...

if you look back, Karl did have kind of a "costume" specific to each tour (although he wasn't really wearing anything too "costumey" like say... PopMart era U2)

I can't remember each of them off-hand, but like - the "disco ball" style shirt during the OWB tour...

oh - and there was the performance (forget when/where - but I want to say it was in Japan) where Karl came out in a wedding dress

...and he does always wear shell-toe Adidas
Old 01-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Andrea
light at heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by big screen satellite View Post
yes i do, she sent me all of her Underworld stuff as she knew i was a big fan (i paid for it!), she was a fan back from the Freur days and used to write to Karl very regularly, she met them a few times and used to call him up for chats on the phone, i have transcripts of calls she made!!! (she was more of a 'stalker' than normal fans!!). She got on obvioulsy very well with Karl back then and the Uw team used to write to her about gigs, and send her stuff...

its a nice bit of fan corresepondence...
Oh, I see! But I must say, if I had private letters like that from a band I like I would never sell it, never ever!
Old 01-25-2011, 07:11 AM
Dunwho
Big Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champiness View Post
What is this in reference to? The only thing I can think of is this one video I saw of Moaner where Karl had a pink dress on.
Yea well in fact the big wedding dress is not one that I am going to go near because IF it had a meaning then itd certainly be something very conceptual or surrealist or something...

But what I am talking about is what Joethelion was saying, that I feel Karl's choice of clothing has complimented the aesthetic of the show over the years.

For instance if we are to look at the shiney reflective jacket he used in the OWB tour he would use the handheld camera looking in real close to the mirrors on the jacket creating an abstract effect on the big screen as he danced and moved. .. thats just one example.

His black and white striped shirt is worth looking at too i feel especially in relation to a lot of the visuals they were using around that time.. and why he may have started wearing it again on the recent tour.

But im not going to get too bogged down on clothing.. this study is about the show as a whole.

anybody's views on this would be cool to hear though
Old 01-25-2011, 04:57 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

I believe the wedding dress was due to a lost bet.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Dunwho
Big Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Oh, I forgot I already processed the Slow Bells video. It's in the Beautiful Burnout ArtJam torrent on RTSR, but I've also uploaded it here now:

http://www.mediafire.com/?bwbgy1j55hw0i20
Thankyou so so much for this!

Quote:
That makes a whole load of sense!
Old 01-28-2011, 04:06 AM
Dunwho
Big Time

Wooo! Just got the go ahead to pretty much focus the whole dissertation on Tomato and the UnderworldLive Show as a platform for looking at the development of Visual Music in Audio Visual Art!

It took ages to convince them that what I had was worth doing and they have finally let me at it!

So happy!

Thanks to everyone who has been helping so far and emailing me on the side, I will definitely be needing more help in the future... you will get an acknowledgement!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Dunwho
Big Time

Question: The "wheel of Light" used by Cruickshank at the Oblivion Ball in Japan... was it/or has it ever been used anywhere else??

Check it out here... http://www.facebook.com/video/video....id=21193697848

Thanks to Todd for this video.. nice work!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:52 AM
ThingInABook
vision

Quote:
i think we had this topic on the chat some weeks ago. i read somewhere that the dress was called 'oblivion ball dress' and he used it cos he needed something fancy to wear at the oblivion ball, since it was, well, a ball.

oh, dunwho, i've a tomato gasbook at home (it's a large format book with tons of pictures, including an exhibition in spain). do you want some images of it?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Dunwho
Big Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThingInABook View Post
do you want some images of it?
DO I!?!?!? That would be fantastic! What was the title of the exhibition? Just so I can look it up.

If there was an introduction essay or a forward to the exhibition catalogue or anything that would be the most valuable thing to me.

But photos would be great!! Thanks everyone for being so helpful. I am really overwhelmed!
Old 01-28-2011, 12:30 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

If you're interested in buying the Tomato Gas Book, there are some cheap used ones here (including a UK seller):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

If you want to buy it new, these guys still have some:

http://www.zakkacorp.com/display.php...gazine=gasbook

If you also want the Tomato Gas DVD (Onyx Pearls), they also have that:

http://www.zakkacorp.com/display.php...agazine=gasdvd