Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:41 AM
domsgotsideburns
mouseman

Re: DRIFT Episode 5 "GAME"
I don’t know if anyone has pointed it out yet, but Tree and Two Chairs— they entirely removed the piano that runs through the whole track. I’m gutted. The interplay between the piano, minimal techno sounds and percussion put this track to a very high spot for me, personally being close to one of the best DRIFT tracks. Yet one of these integral layers have been removed. It hurts to know that the definitive version of this track has ended for the worse, in that it’s much more monotonous. I guess that’s the beauty of DRIFT— right?
Old 09-24-2019, 11:11 AM
Dino3D
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by domsgotsideburns View Post
I don’t know if anyone has pointed it out yet, but Tree and Two Chairs— they entirely removed the piano that runs through the whole track. I’m gutted. The interplay between the piano, minimal techno sounds and percussion put this track to a very high spot for me, personally being close to one of the best DRIFT tracks. Yet one of these integral layers have been removed. It hurts to know that the definitive version of this track has ended for the worse, in that it’s much more monotonous. I guess that’s the beauty of DRIFT— right?

Where is the piano? In which version? I can't hear it on the film version and on the EP version.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:35 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

yeah I'm not sure what you're referring to there either
Old 09-24-2019, 11:52 AM
domsgotsideburns
mouseman

Compare 0:46 on the single (video film edit) and GAME versions. The former starts with a piano chord that continues for practically the rest of the track, whereas the latter doesn’t include it at all. Side by side, it’s pretty jarring.

Last edited by domsgotsideburns; 09-24-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:51 PM
invisibleplan
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by domsgotsideburns View Post
Compare 0:46 on the single (video film edit) and GAME versions. The former starts with a piano chord that continues for practically the rest of the track, whereas the latter doesn’t include it at all. Side by side, it’s pretty jarring.
Oh yeah! I hadn't noticed initially but it's now missing the jazzy keyboard bits all the way through... wonder why they took it off?? I guess at least still have the other version available as a 'single' track...
Old 09-24-2019, 03:05 PM
blue

yeah - calling it the 'piano' confused me. I hear what you're talking about now

Last edited by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j; 09-24-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:18 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

I agree the video version is much stronger. How weird.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:26 PM
blue

the good news the tracks are otherwise identical so you can easily just swap 'em out
Old 09-24-2019, 10:36 PM
domsgotsideburns
mouseman

My bad for the confusion, but yeah I had to swap it out once I noticed. The change left me dumbfounded, thinking “when will the keyboard come in???” only to realise it wouldn’t...

Regardless of this unfortunate change, I’ve found episode 5 to be the most odd one yet. Toluca Stars is growing on me still (it’s one of the first that hasn’t clicked with me immediately), Mile Bush Pride is very sleek and OwB-esque but as the weekly release it seems oddly short. Imagine a Box is amazing in my opinion— I don’t think Underworld have really made anything like it. The psychedelic sounds clash with Karl’s dissonant vocals to create a very intriguing contrast between the two. It’s peculiar but mesmerising. I’m wondering how it’ll be reimagined for the sampler. Tree and Two Chairs is sadly barebones in its “definitive” form but the original holds up as one of the most creative DRIFT works. The lounge influence may be cheesy to some, sure, but listen to it on high quality headphones and the subtle interplaying with every layer requires further notice. It’s brilliant. Give Me the Room is techno by the numbers, not so sure about it yet— and S T A R. S T A R! Karl’s spoken word doesn’t get any better than that. It’s satisfyingly short, addictive and has high replay value.

I eagerly look forward to the box set and maybe there might even be some more changes with the definitive versions on there (I’m looking at you, Tree and Two Chairs!).
Old 09-25-2019, 02:09 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Digital purchase and streaming versions of Ep 5 came out yesterday, and it's identical to the free download last week.

So, to recap:

Toluca Stars and Tree and Two Chairs with the missing piano parts are available to stream or purchase (up to 24-bit lossless) in the digital single versions.

The long version of Mile Bush Pride is available (in 320 Kbps MP3) as the free download.

Give Me the Room with the wonky stereo imaging, and S T A R with the last verse aligned to the downbeat are only available on the YouTube videos.