Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2016, 11:49 PM
iamneorev
pants

Re: Ova Nova - single release, Sept. 30, 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino3D View Post
I can't understand the CD disapperaring. Every big band has at least 1000 fan who wants to buy a CD single. If little indie bands (like Frost) can manufacturing 250-500 pieces of CDs, why a big band like UW can't? Never understand...
The Prodigy are the same, there was only promos when it came to the singles. We did get The Night Is My Friend EP and there was a special EP for HMV stores if you ordered the album and an RSD 7 inch. But none of the singles were released physically. They eventually released a full CD with the remixes, live tracks, and extra tracks collected. The Chemical Brothers were the same as well. Singles and remixes were only released digitally. I miss the good ol' days of singles packed with extras.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:20 AM
purlieu
enofa

It's the same with pretty much every band now. I remember there being a handful of CD singles five or six years ago but they just don't exist anymore. They were never particularly profitable for labels so it's not surprising that they've gone.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:15 PM
negative1

Quote:
Originally Posted by purlieu View Post
It's the same with pretty much every band now. I remember there being a handful of CD singles five or six years ago but they just don't exist anymore. They were never particularly profitable for labels so it's not surprising that they've gone.
bjork, pet shop boys, new order and many other bands are still going strong with
singles, 12 inch releases, and boxsets.

new order has had 4 cd singles, a vinyl boxset, a remix album, and 7 and 12 inch
singles for their releases. along with digital for all of them. not including an
exclusive japanese boxset (with a cassette), and exclusive japanese cd singles
and japanese vinyl.

pet shop boys have been releasing several cd singles and vinyl along with
digital singles.

bjork of course, has tons of releases.

thats just 3 bands, so where exactly are singles disappearing too.

later
Old 09-02-2016, 02:23 PM
purlieu
enofa

Intriguing. You raise an interesting point bringing 12"s into it, I would expect vinyl editions of Underworld's singles as, despite the rise in digital for DJing, it still seems to be the favoured format for dance music. Bjork has been favouring collectable multimedia release formats for a while so there have been a number of CD and 12" issues for her remixes, although not much seems to have come from Vulnicura.

In general though, I think the New Order and Pet Shop Boys CD singles are very much the exception to the norm. They're probably also lucky to have the sort of legacy where a large enough portion of their fanbase are avid collectors to make them a worthwhile option.

Or maybe they're just daring enough to do something a bit old fashioned because they or their fans want it. Underworld haven't done all that much trend-bucking in a while, sadly. Although there are some hefty 10 track promo discs around that I wouldn't mind picking up, I do agree that having proper 'retail' singles would be a really good idea. Even if they just put a few hundred of the thousands of promos aside to sell through the site. Obviously a reasonable amount of time and money has gone into designing them and getting glass master discs manufactured, it definitely seems like a wasted opportunity.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:23 AM
testudo
JunkiesCriminalsFugitives

Location: The international territory and the mighty infamous
Dear Dirties, etc...

I am wondering if anyone has an extra copy of this single or can point me in the right direction to obtain it.

Ova Nova is by far my favorite song of UW. ( as seen here: https://www.borndirty.org/forums/sho...highlight=nova )

I was too late for buying any of the copies on ebay.

Thank you so much!

Ride the sainted!

PS. also feel free to PM if there is any other info you have that doesn't seem right to post

Last edited by testudo; 09-07-2016 at 11:25 AM. Reason: the PS
Old 09-07-2016, 12:19 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

It should be available for digital purchase by the end of the month.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:02 PM
iamneorev
pants

Ova Nova is now available digitally...
http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/ova.../0060255715644
Old 09-30-2016, 12:27 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

It's also available on all other digital platforms, such as iTunes and Amazon. Also, for once, it's also available simultaneously in the US and Japan.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:24 AM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

The Pig&Dan Remix is brilliant.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:53 AM
BishBash
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by purlieu View Post
I think the New Order and Pet Shop Boys CD singles are very much the exception to the norm. They're probably also lucky to have the sort of legacy where a large enough portion of their fanbase are avid collectors to make them a worthwhile option.
I think you're right. In New Order's case, their older fans remember when they had to buy singles in order to own all the tunes because singles often weren't even on albums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
It's also available on all other digital platforms, such as iTunes and Amazon. Also, for once, it's also available simultaneously in the US and Japan.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultradave View Post
The Pig&Dan Remix is brilliant.
What have they done to the vocals??

So it seems that all the Barbara singles remixes are now out there in DL format for everybody to buy. Is that right?

[Incidentally, off topic: how do you embed youtube videos?]

Last edited by BishBash; 10-08-2016 at 03:27 AM.