Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:56 PM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

Re: Oblivion with a Hundred RiverRuns Off
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j View Post
Feel like the entirety of the "Big Sister" release should be on here. That one's so gorgeous (especially the last say, 15 minutes) and maybe one of their greatest things ever.
I agree, I say the entirety of "Big Sister" is the greatest thing from that era, when judging a work as a whole. I mean, AHDO is very good and I love OWB, but I think "Big Sister" is great from start to finish (what I meant by considering something as a whole). To me, the best things Underworld has made are Dubnobasswithmyheadman, Second Toughest in the Infants, 'Big Sister', and Beaucoup Fish. Not sure what to pick between Beaucoup Fish and 'Big Sister', but damn is 'Big Sister' brilliant.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:59 PM
rudydaduck
pulsar

ancient fat farm coat (from the radio show/with the welsh dialect lessons)
a favorite of mine and impossible for me to find since i lost it in a move 2 years ago.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:34 PM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champiness View Post
I think I'd put the cutoff date a little later - somewhere around the void in activity (as much as you can call it with Underworld) following the 2008 radio show? Quite a few of the tracks that made it on to Barking (ie "Moon In Water") were very much a part of this era
I was going by official releases. There may be some tracks that have leaked out in live shows or on radio shows after that, but Holding The Moth is the cut off for me.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:40 AM
gingerorb
river

- Peach Tree
- Ansum
- Beautiful Burnout
- Glam Bucket (Live)
- Luetin
- Play Pig
Old 03-13-2012, 09:23 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

why
the fuck
has no one said Vanilla Monkey

i found the 12" in a store a couple of weeks ago and flipped out

anyway

-JAL
-Born Slippy 2003 (Down)
-Vanilla Monkey
-Food A Ready
-Little Speaker
-Headset
-Luetin
-Ansum
-Strumpet Groove
-Glam Bucket
-Beautiful Burnout (unfaded) [makes a world of difference, this]
-Between Stars (this ones iffy)
-Cuddle Bunny vs the Celtic Villages
-Mercury
-You Do Scribble
-Swing Up High [Radical Version]
-To Heal
Old 03-16-2012, 07:02 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

Okay, this is going to be the nerdiest question I've ever asked on this board, but is it appropriate to include anything from Bungalow With Stairs? You know what, fuck it, I know the answer is no. I know I hadn't heard Tokyo<>London 1 until the 2003 Peel performance but I KNOW IT DOESN'T COUNT $(%&)(#*@
Old 03-17-2012, 06:35 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappys Curry View Post
I agree, I say the entirety of "Big Sister" is the greatest thing from that era, when judging a work as a whole. I mean, AHDO is very good and I love OWB, but I think "Big Sister" is great from start to finish (what I meant by considering something as a whole). To me, the best things Underworld has made are Dubnobasswithmyheadman, Second Toughest in the Infants, 'Big Sister', and Beaucoup Fish. Not sure what to pick between Beaucoup Fish and 'Big Sister', but damn is 'Big Sister' brilliant.
All the RiverRuns are excellent, but add me to the fanwagon for "I'm A Big Sister...", just gorgeous. That 2005-06 era holds a special place in my heart - perfect blending of hard electronic and avant garde classical ambient (inc. "Breaking and Entering")
Old 03-17-2012, 10:39 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

i disagree with both of you. it's not avant-anything, it's pretty damn decent but not a patch on the other two (which i think actually are perfect)
Old 03-18-2012, 03:42 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
The others are clutch, too. You're avant-everything, Dubby!

I think we're all in need of some new, pure Underworld to discuss. Bring on the Olympics
Old 03-22-2012, 02:11 PM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
Okay, this is going to be the nerdiest question I've ever asked on this board, but is it appropriate to include anything from Bungalow With Stairs? You know what, fuck it, I know the answer is no. I know I hadn't heard Tokyo<>London 1 until the 2003 Peel performance but I KNOW IT DOESN'T COUNT $(%&)(#*@
No, i dont think so. And neither the demos for Barking or anything that ended up on Barking. I think theres a period from AHDO to OWB with everything inbetween and the singles associated that defined a sound. I dont think the collaboration stuff on sound tracks for Breaking and Entering or Sunshine should be in there either.