Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:44 AM
testudo
JunkiesCriminalsFugitives

Location: The international territory and the mighty infamous
It's not war, just the end of Underworld
Anyone else notice the high emphasis with musicians in try to go super pop lately.

The new Manics album is a poppy explosion just like the new Underworld... anyone else see any other artists doing this?
Old 09-07-2010, 06:50 AM
Postal
river

Re: It's not war, just the end of Underworld
I'm not quite sure how Barking qualifies as "super pop."

Everyone they're collaborating with might be well-known, but mostly within their own fields. I wouldn't call High Contrast pop anymore than I would Squarepusher.

Other than being more danceable, the new Underworld album still sounds like a creation of Karl and Rick: imagist poetry set to a techno beat. They probably won't go high into the radio charts, and they probably don't care if they do.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:02 AM
testudo
JunkiesCriminalsFugitives

Location: The international territory and the mighty infamous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal View Post
I'm not quite sure how Barking qualifies as "super pop."
As Scott said.. Underworld have always been POP. This album is POP PLUS. Don't get hung up on semantics, it will hurt your head.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:22 AM
purlieu
enofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal View Post
I wouldn't call High Contrast pop anymore than I would Squarepusher.
Despite him making simpler, more accessible music to Squarepusher's glitchy drill type stuff?
Old 09-07-2010, 10:45 AM
cacophony
disquietude

the lady gaga effect?

this is definitely the poppiest release yet. it may not be "pop" to the semanticists, but it's pop for UW.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:50 PM
mmm skyscraper
fac123

at least there aren't a bunch of guest vocalists
Old 09-07-2010, 02:17 PM
kagenaki koe
children are futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm skyscraper View Post
at least there aren't a bunch of guest vocalists
"And now, Underworld's latest single, Always Loved a Film featuring Kanye West/Lil Wayne/Eminem........keep a look out for the single version with Justin Beiber singing the chorus!!........."
Old 09-07-2010, 02:17 PM
cacophony
disquietude

*vomit*
Old 09-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Rog
the fuckest upest

Quote:
Originally Posted by testudo View Post
As Scott said.. Underworld have always been POP. This album is POP PLUS. Don't get hung up on semantics, it will hurt your head.
as much as i love scott for what he is to the forums.......underworld has never been 'POP' its just so much more than POP. and even pop plus....in words that i could never descrbe unless i cold ask some of the eloquent amonst us to describe it for me....pissed as iam

wher's janie?
Old 09-07-2010, 03:59 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

I don't think I've ever heard Underworld on a POP station and I'm pretty sure this album won't change that trend. Its a very approachable album in that the lyrics *kinda* make sense and the beats are what someone who has "never heard of Underworld" (actually they would say, "I've never heard of Underground, are they good?") would expect it to sound like after I described it to them. That's neither here nor there when speaking to how good of an album it is though. There is plenty of approachable artwork that is FANTASTIC! You don't need to reinvent the genre every time you make a new album.

What always set Underworld apart was that they did what only a few other electronic bands could do... and better. Underworld were wildly original in a time when it was becoming easy to manufacture simple beats and layers. Each one of their tracks contained more layers selected with the utmost care than other artists used on their entire album. Its no surprise to me that a healthy amount of dance fans never got into Underworld. It was almost too much.

This album sits somewhere in the middle. Its still cleverly complicated, quite original, and well crafted. Its catchy as shit; I don't even like Scribble but I sing it full out when it comes on. Why? Because its so damn catchy! But still, this album is the bridge for the 'I don't get thems' and the 'I totally get thems'. I think its quite good and have been playing it on a loop (baking dog?) for a week now.

Where else you gonna hear a song about a fly, bird, and bad dream as an opener?

Last edited by potatobroth; 09-07-2010 at 04:08 PM.