Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2010, 08:14 AM
mmm skyscraper
fac123

Re: Royksopp's New Album - Senior (Sept. 13th)
I really like Happy Up Here (datassette remix).
Old 08-23-2010, 08:41 AM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j View Post
All I can say is try listening to it loud. If you're not really paying attention or listening too quiet you won't really get much out of it. It's one of those tracks. I felt the same for a while.

As for Royksopp...I only have Melody AM, any of their other stuff worth checking out ?? I've heard mixed reviews. I really loved the first two tracks of Melody AM, especially "So Easy", although I guess they pretty much stole it wholesale from Burt Bacharach, so I'm guessing there aren't any other tracks like that in their discography...still??
I listened to OWB last night and Glam Bucket isn't bad. I warmed up to it more over the years. I guess it's my least favorite track on the album. The other one I feel is the least impressive is To Heal. I like both Glam Bucket and To Heal, and I like Cuddle Bunny, but those three tracks would be my least favorite tracks on the album. They are low tier, you could say. Middle tier tracks for me are Boy, Boy, Boy, Ring Road, Holding the Moth, and Loads of Birds. Upper tier tracks from OWB (my favorite tracks) are Crocodile, Beautiful Burnout, Good Morning Cockerel, and my two most favored tracks, Faxed Invitation and Best Mamgu Ever.

As for Royksopp's 2nd and 3rd album, try checking out the majority of each album on youtube. I'm sure you can find at least most tracks from both albums on youtube, and hear the songs for free. Then you can decide if you want to purchase either one, or both. Melody A.M. is great, but the 2nd and 3rd album; I don't think the same. Some kind of techno pop on those albums. On Amazon, you can buy The Understanding for $5 (their second album). So if you like some of the songs on it, you can't go wrong with a $5 album (btw, it is the MP3 download store, I'm not talking about the physical album purchase).
Old 08-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Drix
Re-Member

I think The Understanding had a lot of great tracks on it. Not as good as an album as Melody, but definately some great material there. Didn't quite feel Junior though. Great as radiomusic, but not my cup of tea.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:42 AM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drix View Post
I think The Understanding had a lot of great tracks on it. Not as good as an album as Melody, but definately some great material there. Didn't quite feel Junior though. Great as radiomusic, but not my cup of tea.
Ditto. I still cannot understand the dislike for The Understanding(I SWEAR, that just happened, I'm not trying to artsey/poetity or anything), I think many were expecting Melody A.M. Pt. II. I also think the extra B-sides were great too, other than that one song titled "Just Go" or "Go Away" or something. I said out loud, "WTH was that all about?" and removed from my music library.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:05 PM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

I just bought The Understanding. I was turned off by song samples I heard on iTunes. But with the new album coming soon, I decided I should buy The Understanding and give it a fair chance. I found it for $5 on Amazon MP3 downloads. I dl'ed it last night. I'll give it some listens before Senior hits. I should listen to Junior more. It has some good tracks. I have a feeling that Senior will be my second favorite album of theirs. I doubt it'll beat Melody A.M., though.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:12 PM
bas_I_am
vision

I couldnt listen to Junior or The Understanding as albums. But when my player is on shuffle, there have been many times i've been struck by a song and caught by suprise when I look down and see it is from The Understanding.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Senior/dp/B0...9&sr=1-1-spell

30 second samples of the albums tracks there. Give it a listen!

Sounds solid. I think I'll easily prefer this over Junior (I hardly listen to Junior). I just bought The Understanding off of Amazon MP3 downloads. I'll give that some listens, but I'm not expecting too much (I didn't buy it for a long time because I felt it didn't sound too good based off of the 30 second samples). I'm giving it a fair chance now. Senoir has the potential to be my second favorite Royksopp album, with Melody A.M. of course remaining in the top spot. I do not expect Senoir to be a better album than Melody A.M., which is a pretty darn good album.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:16 PM
unwound floors
power before passion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappys Curry View Post
Well, everyone has different musical tastes. I hope I like the album when it releases. Some people were really disappointed by Heligoland, but I think it is a really good album by Massive Attack. I rank it third, ahead of Protection and 100th Window.

Heck, musical tastes can be so different; Glam Bucket is my least favorite song on OWB (not really counting Cuddle Bunny, that is just an experimental track amongst the songs), and I've seen one person say that is there favorite track on OWB.
You don't rate Mezzanine as one of their best albums!? That's possibly the best thing to come out of the nineties, IMO!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwound floors View Post
You don't rate Mezzanine as one of their best albums!? That's possibly the best thing to come out of the nineties, IMO!

Hehe, no no, I said I put Heligoland at third, AHEAD of Protection and 100th Window. So Heligoland, for me, is behind Blue Lines and Mezzanine. Blue Lines is my second favorite MA album, and Mezzanine is my favorite MA album, and one of my favorite albums in general.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:06 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Agree - the samples sound very solid. Moody, even. Much more in the vein of Meldy AM than Understanding or Junior. Their second Lp had its moments, sme driving dance tracks, but the most recent was pop-craptic. I like my Royksopp to be icy, arctic, insomniac, introspective.