Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > world.

Old 09-15-2008, 02:49 AM
Deckard
issue 37

Crunch
Where is this all heading?

I still feel things need to get a lot worse before they can start getting better, and the combination of the banking/housing/oil/credit crises rolled into one is a daunting prospect.

Anyone feeling the pinch in their own lives? I've definitely noticed my clients having less to spend, plus the rising cost of food and energy eating into my monthly outgoings.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:41 AM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

Re: Crunch
I think we are all pulling our belts a little tighter, but of course the knock-on effect of that is less consumer spending, less profit for businesses, more redundancies and so on. Bring back Keynes, I say! (Except our governments have no money to inject into the economy because they are still fighting senseless, expensive wars instead.)

It's gonna be a rough ride for a year or two.

Meanwhile, I am planning to dig up a patch of my garden and grow my own veg next year. Yes, really. Me.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:07 AM
Deckard
issue 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBurnout View Post
Meanwhile, I am planning to dig up a patch of my garden and grow my own veg next year. Yes, really. Me.
You mean, you... a city-type!!?

Funnily enough I was going to do that a few years ago too.

Then we got this chap...

...which quickly put paid to that idea.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:07 AM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBurnout View Post
I think we are all pulling our belts a little tighter, but of course the knock-on effect of that is less consumer spending, less profit for businesses, more redundancies and so on. Bring back Keynes, I say! (Except our governments have no money to inject into the economy because they are still fighting senseless, expensive wars instead.)

It's gonna be a rough ride for a year or two.

May I suggest a few bunches of cilantro? The medical benifits are compelling.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:50 AM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

Cilantro = the difference between good salsa and great salsa. Especially when you make your own.

I tracked down the recipe for Chipotle's Roasted Corn Salsa a couple of weeks ago and the first batch was good but once I added about 50% more diced cilantro when making the second batch, the result was godlike. Yes, godlike.

Sucks about those banks btw.

Last edited by Future Proof; 09-15-2008 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Confusion over v. impt details concerning my salsa. My-my-my-my, my-my, my-my, my my salsa.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:05 AM
gambit
magic city writer

I was laid off from my job in February, and (after a temp job) I'm still looking for another job that doesn't involve flipping burgers or wiping up someone's poop. So yeah, I'm feeling the pinch.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:06 AM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOHN rODRIGUEZ View Post
May I suggest a few bunches of cilantro? The medical benifits are compelling.
I had to look this up and realised it's corriander leaf in UK English. Yes! Will do!
Old 09-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Rog
the fuckest upest

well, as a vegetable grower for a number of years i feel very sorry for the poor bankers...........though i don't think the two are connected?

actually, the capitalist pigs are getting what they deserve i just don't want a penny of my tax going to help any of them out...i hope the whole global capitalist system falls apart
Old 09-16-2008, 03:16 PM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog View Post
well, as a vegetable grower for a number of years i feel very sorry for the poor bankers...........though i don't think the two are connected?

actually, the capitalist pigs are getting what they deserve i just don't want a penny of my tax going to help any of them out...i hope the whole global capitalist system falls apart
Come the Revolution, up against the wall, bang bang bang! (c) Tooting Popular Front

Sorry I got side-tracked on the vegetable gardening thingy.

Well, Marx always said that capitalism would eat itself, and that seems to be what has happened to these greedy gits. Pressure-sell mortgages and re-mortgages to people who can't afford to repay them, then sell bonds on those mortgages, then speculate on the bonds and so on ad nauseam. South Sea Bubble anyone?

Edit: Lovely quote here:

Quote:
"When Sir Isaac Newton was asked about the continuance of the rising of South Sea stock? ---- He answered 'that he could not calculate the madness of people'. (Spence, Anecdotes, 1820, p368)

Last edited by BeautifulBurnout; 09-16-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:23 AM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

More views from the Left on the current crisis and the future of capitalism:

Crunch Time