Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > world.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Deckard
issue 37

Re: Bang
Quote:
"Repairing the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) near Geneva will cost almost £14m ($21m) and "realistically" take until at least next summer to start back up."
Disappointing. I just hope everything goes right next time round. I've recently been reading up a fair bit on some of the things scientists are hoping these experiments will shed light on, if not confirm or rule out - supersymmetry and string/M-theory, the Higgs field, hidden dimensions, etc. It may take years to analyze, but right now I feel like it can't come soon enough, so the sooner these collisions start back up, the better.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7734251.stm
Old 11-17-2008, 09:15 PM
luminary
mouseman

http://hasthelargehadroncolliderdest...eworldyet.com/

http://www.okkana.com
Old 11-18-2008, 02:46 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Err, is this my thread?
Old 11-18-2008, 04:07 AM
Deckard
issue 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminary View Post
Ooh, look, some geek humour under the bonnet too...
Code:
<script type="text/javascript">
if (!(typeof worldHasEnded == "undefined")) {
document.write("YUP.");
} else {
document.write("NOPE.");
}
</script> <noscript>NOPE.</noscript> </div> <!-- if the lhc actually destroys the earth & this page isn't yet updated please email mike@frantic.org to receive a full refund -->

Last edited by Deckard; 10-20-2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: removed google analytics code - didn't notice that first time round!
Old 10-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Deckard
issue 37

A piece in the (UK) Times that's just........ bonkers!

(There's actually a spoiler to a recently-started US TV series in there, but I can't tell you which one without giving it away, so... umm.... if you've started watching any new series lately, just stick to my quote below and don't click the link )

A particle God doesn't want us to discover

Quote:
Explosions, scientists arrested for alleged terrorism, mysterious breakdowns — recently Cern’s Large Hadron Collider (LHC) has begun to look like the world’s most ill-fated experiment.

Is it really nothing more than bad luck or is there something weirder at work? Such speculation generally belongs to the lunatic fringe, but serious scientists have begun to suggest that the frequency of Cern’s accidents and problems is far more than a coincidence.

The LHC, they suggest, may be sabotaging itself from the future — twisting time to generate a series of scientific setbacks that will prevent the machine fulfilling its destiny.

Last edited by Deckard; 10-20-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:11 PM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
A piece in the (UK) Times that's just........ bonkers!

(There's actually a spoiler to a recently-started US TV series in there, but I can't tell you which one without giving it away, so... umm.... if you've started watching any new series lately, just stick to my quote below and don't click the link )

A particle God doesn't want us to discover

It's always interesting to hear theories like this from minds that understand concepts which, frankly, I never will. But what does make me most hesitant to buy into this is the implication of conscious intent in the sabotage of the machine. I'm intrigued by the concept of the boson creating repurcussive ripples through time, but I just don't swallow the idea that it's acting with intelligent purpose. Great, compelling article though.
Old 10-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Deckard
issue 37

Perhaps this is also what lies behind the torturous movie-making process of Terry Gilliam... beset by problem after problem - a blockbuster God just doesn't want him to make!

I've scrubbed the rest of this post cos I've just realised I have absolutely no idea what I'm blathering on about! Suffice to say, I'm more inclined to accept that these problems result from this being the biggest, most ambitious machine ever built.

We'll have to wait and see though...
Old 10-20-2009, 02:28 PM
//\/\/
slogging it out

the quote at the end of this story is the best word on this part of the collider story!
Old 10-20-2009, 03:15 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Appealing to the lunatic fringe?

You do recall you are a member of this forum right?

Old 10-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Deckard
issue 37

Quote:
But Prof Cox, ex-keyboardist for 1990's pop group D:REAM, dismissed the hysteria in rock-star style.

"Anyone who thinks the LHC will destroy the world is a tw—," he said.
Brian. Cox. Rocks.