Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

Royksopp's New Album - Senior (Sept. 13th)
Who else is looking forward to this release? I really like Melody A.M., but I don't like the second and third releases from them too much. I think Senior will be pretty good, though. It is a counterpart to junior. Instead of being bubbly and poppy, it has a more reserved, darker nature.

This has news on the new album: http://royksopp.com/tag/senior-news

Taken from there:

Quote:
Röyksopp are set to release the counterpart to last year’s critically acclaimed Junior album on the 13th September. More introspective and freeform than its poppier partner and fully instrumental, the Nordic electronic pioneers Svein Berge and Torbjorn Brundtland recorded Senior at the same time as Junior and it finds Royksopp in fine form.
Royksopp explain:
The two albums (’Junior’ and ‘Senior’) have a kinship, in that they represent Röyksopp’s two very different artistic expressions. ‘Junior’ – with emphasis on vocals, accessible melodies and harmonies, has the energy, the inquisitive temper and confident “hey-ho, let’s go!”-attitude of youth, whereas ‘Senior’ is the introverted, dwelling and sometimes graceful counterpart – brimfull with dark secrets and distorted memories, insisting “I’m old, I’ve got experince…”. Senior’ is furthermore an album about age, horses and being subdued – with devils breathing down your neck.
Senior was written as a complete set of tracks, each designated to take a specific part in the bigger piece. All individual tracks have been made with the intent of coexisting with the other tracks on the album.
Each track is equally as important as its predecessor and successor. We feel that none of the tracks should be regarded outside of this context, ie. separated from the rest of the album. Quite a “brave”/stupid thing to do in this day & age of iPods and cherrypicking, one might suggest. We couldn’t agree more – hell that’s even probably why we did it.
Senior is forthcoming 13th September on Wall Of Sound UK, PIAS Europe, EMI Scandinavia & Japan, USA TBA.
Releases the same day as Barking. What a good day for Electronic music!
Old 08-09-2010, 08:26 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Re: Royksopp's New Album - Senior (Sept. 13th)
Yeah, I'm ready for Senior! Junior was way too poppy and polished, and though Understanding has some great tracks, it didn't capture the spirit of their debut for me.

I've been enjoying the Track of the Month free downloads on Royksopp's site, especially their versions of Steve Reich's "Counterpoint Electric". If the new record is anything like some of these freebies, it should be very very good.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:52 PM
dubnobasswithme
koob!

certainly looking forward to it as well!

uw0006
Old 08-10-2010, 02:49 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappys Curry View Post
I really like Melody A.M., but I don't like the second and third releases from them too much.
Kind of sums it up for me. Fingers crossed this isnt a pile of poppy dogshit.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:37 AM
Andrea
light at heart

Is it Röyksopp´s Adventures in Barbieland or Señor B’s Adventures in Barbieland?
http://royksopp.com/tag/senior-news

...or is it Junior´s
Not a big fan but Across the Graveyard is great. Hard to believe they can ever top it.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:45 AM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

http://royksopp.com/blog/news

The Drug is a song from the new album and I like it! It is good, not some techno pop stuff like their last two albums. Click the link and check out The Drug.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:36 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Don't like Senior at all, horrible ambient noodly stuff that goes nowhere at all.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:05 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

I'm lovin' "The Drug" track that's going around. Haven't heard anything else from Senior, and will not until I have the proper release.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty0900 View Post
Don't like Senior at all, horrible ambient noodly stuff that goes nowhere at all.
Well, everyone has different musical tastes. I hope I like the album when it releases. Some people were really disappointed by Heligoland, but I think it is a really good album by Massive Attack. I rank it third, ahead of Protection and 100th Window.

Heck, musical tastes can be so different; Glam Bucket is my least favorite song on OWB (not really counting Cuddle Bunny, that is just an experimental track amongst the songs), and I've seen one person say that is there favorite track on OWB.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:17 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappys Curry View Post

Heck, musical tastes can be so different; Glam Bucket is my least favorite song on OWB (not really counting Cuddle Bunny, that is just an experimental track amongst the songs), and I've seen one person say that is there favorite track on OWB.
All I can say is try listening to it loud. If you're not really paying attention or listening too quiet you won't really get much out of it. It's one of those tracks. I felt the same for a while.

As for Royksopp...I only have Melody AM, any of their other stuff worth checking out ?? I've heard mixed reviews. I really loved the first two tracks of Melody AM, especially "So Easy", although I guess they pretty much stole it wholesale from Burt Bacharach, so I'm guessing there aren't any other tracks like that in their discography...still??