Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 07-13-2020, 01:26 PM
negative1

Re: Saved from the cutting room floor mix* - Underworld vs The Misterons
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamneorev View Post
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 with a 256gb SD card and Poweramp Pro loaded. Poweramp is a great music player, which can handle and output 24 bit audio if your phone has the capability for 24 bit playback like the Note 4. Since my car stereo ain't that amazing, but it does have a stereo 1/8" in, I load the SD card AND phone data with 320kbps MP3s. Most of them are 44khz and some are 48khz if they were converted from 24 bit files with 48+khz. This allows me to have a shit ton of music on me at all times while I am out. I do plan on picking up a bigger SD card.

As for headphones, I have Audio Technica ATH-M50Xs.

For home stereo listening, I use my studio computer with a Roland MX-1 24/96 audio interface/mixer into Tannoy Reveal 802 studio monitors, which sound lovely.
isn't it bizarre how almost no phones, have a headphone jack anymore.

i don't think i ever want to listen to bluetooth audio, or wireless. its just sounds like a hassle.

one of the reason i still use an ancient windows 7 phone, is it has
a headphone jack, and outputs at full volume to headphones and speakers.

i have a newer phone that i don't use that has a headphone jack, but the
output is terrible.

later
Old 07-13-2020, 03:00 PM
iamneorev
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by negative1 View Post
isn't it bizarre how almost no phones, have a headphone jack anymore.

i don't think i ever want to listen to bluetooth audio, or wireless. its just sounds like a hassle.

one of the reason i still use an ancient windows 7 phone, is it has
a headphone jack, and outputs at full volume to headphones and speakers.

i have a newer phone that i don't use that has a headphone jack, but the
output is terrible.

later
Yea, it really sucks the way phones are going, like we're going backwards. I also stay away from bluetooth. I recently picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab S5E tablet in which you have to use a converter cable from the charger input that has an 1/8" jack.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:47 AM
WhiteNoise
I?m good, I?m alright

I'm pretty certain this message board now discusses bitrates and lossy / lossless audio more than it does Underworld
Old 07-16-2020, 05:30 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteNoise View Post
I'm pretty certain this message board now discusses bitrates and lossy / lossless audio more than it does Underworld
Haha, I know! Well, we all need something to collect or improve upon in these crazy times.

But I really shouldn't have entered the fray...I was a 21 year old grad student listening to a CD player while the 18 year olds had new iPods. Old fart! I was fine with whatever bitrate I could download freely as long as it was listenable. I'm still pissed that my 2017 model car has no CD player and I have to rip to a USB (Bluetooth is poop). Where's the spontaneity of picking a daily album to listen to on your commute?

But I get it, we want and expect a certain quality now. Sure, I don't want to listen to music that sounds like crap. But as I said above, the latest remasters are often unlistenable, too. And as a producer, I'm very appreciative of anything released for free. Look, if you first heard "Born Slippy" on a dubbed cassette, a FLAC file might make your week. Or, you might always associate that first listen with the fidelity of it's time. I'm not interested in debating which "sounds better". Our listening experiences are unique.

By the way, been listening to digital versions of tracks from artists I first heard on some lo fi cassette dubs. Yeah, I hear new elements, but mostly I just enjoy the rediscovery and nostalgia. Upgrades are nice but the format debate is old and boring.

Last edited by holden; 07-16-2020 at 05:36 PM.