Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2007, 11:26 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Love vs. Hate or New Rave vs. Old Rave.
Do both actually suck? I do feel nostalgic listening to old (89-92) rave tracks and will admit to being a grumpy old man "not as good as in my day" complainer when talking about "new rave" or whatever. I want to hate this compilation (http://www.play.com/Music/CD/RCS/3-/...e/Product.html) that pits Old Rave on disc 1 agains New Rave on disc 2, but both tracklistings look pretty good and i know i like about 6 or 7 tracks on disc 2 already. Actually want to get this disc now to see which one I prefer and how much memories and predjudices plays a part. Looks like a cheesy cash-in compilation may have been able to 'get the balance right'.

Disc 1

Baby D - Let Me Be Your Fantasy
Bizarre Inc - Playing With Knives
Shades of Rhythm - Sound of Eden
Altern 8 - Active 8
Moby - Go
LFO - LFO
True Faith ft. Bridget Grace - Take Me Away
Sonz of a Loop Da Loop Era - Far Out
House Crew - Keep The Fire Burning
Kicks Like a Mule - Bouncer
Shut Up and Dance - £20 To Get In
Lennie De Ice - We Are IE
2 Bad Mice - Bombscare
SL2 - On a Ragga Tip 07
Edge 1 - Compnded
Zero B - Lock Up
Djs Unite - DJs Unite
Krome and Time - This Sound is For The Underground
The Prodigy - Out Of Space

Disc 2

Klaxons - Bouncer
Kicks Like a Mule - Gravitys Rainbow
Gossip - Standing In The Way of Control (Soulwax Nite Version)
Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip - Thou Shalt Always Kill (Knifehand Chop mix)'
Bloc Party - Banquet (Boyz Noize mix)
Plan B - No More Eating (Hadouken remix)
New Young Pony Club - The Bomb (Phones mix)
Kasabian - Shoot The Runner (Shakes remix)
Simian Mobile Disco - The Beat
Uffie - Pop The Glock
Mylo - Paris Four Hundred (Etienne De Crecy mix)
The Sounds - Tony The Beat(Rex The Dog mix)
Tiga - Youre Gonna Want Me
Jaydee - Plastic Dreams (Switch remix)
Trisco - Podium (Max Graham mix)
MSTRKRFT - Work On You (Original mix)
Gossip - Jealous Girls (New Young Pony Club mix)
Friendly Fires - Your Love

Last edited by BrotherLovesDub; 04-22-2007 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:49 AM
mmm skyscraper
fac123

Re: Love vs. Hate or New Rave vs. Old Rave.
The Uffie track is pretty funny.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:45 PM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

Interesting marketing concept, this. Might give it a try as at l can guarantee I will like 50% of what's on there, which is rare for an album these days
Old 04-22-2007, 12:49 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

mstrkrft, gossip, klaxons - all terrible in their unique ways.

i've rarely been so flusted by anyone as much as uffie. pop the glock is kind of crap, but get drunk enough and tracks like "dismissed" become fantastic to listen to and the hollertronix baiting is completely ignored (while it's impossibly cringe-worthy otherwise).
the only track that isnt intolerably ridiculous and just really ridiculous is "hot chick." yes, she rhymes fuck with fuck, but i've got a strong suspicion it can't be about flow at all.
but it's still pretty stupid.
just that the music completely overtakes it. the production is aggressive and hard, and the beats sound great`

thing is though, i dont think anyone does this and expects it to be seen anything but glittery trash. so is she really an idiot, or is the casual trashiness of it simply being completely unpretentious about what it is?
Old 04-22-2007, 03:49 PM
thee carp dreamer
done up like a kipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman
mstrkrft, gossip, klaxons - all terrible in their unique ways.

i've rarely been so flusted by anyone as much as uffie. pop the glock is kind of crap, but get drunk enough and tracks like "dismissed" become fantastic to listen to and the hollertronix baiting is completely ignored (while it's impossibly cringe-worthy otherwise).
the only track that isnt intolerably ridiculous and just really ridiculous is "hot chick." yes, she rhymes fuck with fuck, but i've got a strong suspicion it can't be about flow at all.
but it's still pretty stupid.
just that the music completely overtakes it. the production is aggressive and hard, and the beats sound great`

thing is though, i dont think anyone does this and expects it to be seen anything but glittery trash. so is she really an idiot, or is the casual trashiness of it simply being completely unpretentious about what it is?
dude, she's hot.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:33 PM
Aaron Contreras
meditate on bass weight

Klaxons are a rock band with some samples that go 'Hey DJ'. They're not even up to EMF levels of crossover. Plus, they fucking suck live and need to learn how to put on a show or go the fuck away.
Bloc Party is Rave-anything? WTF? And Plastic Dreams blew up like...13 years ago?

It's all marketing, innit?

Last edited by Aaron Contreras; 04-22-2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:15 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Jesus Christ...

new rave isn't 'rave'... its just a 'catch all' term for Bands that use strobe lights in their sets...

what a stupid concept... Rave back in the good old days was just that, music by dance acts played at Raves... (ok so it crossed over to teh mainstream, but it was still music for Ravers) this new rave shit is bands sampling some drum beats and going on tours... its just indie fucking rockers... (its nothing similar at all)

nothing beats the old rave music... this album: its a nice marketing concept but its still shit...

if you want new rave go and buy a new rave compilation, if any exist, if you want a rave album - there are loads about.... don't buy this though because you can't compare the two
Old 04-23-2007, 03:29 AM
lukeyd
j00 makes kitteh scared

Send a message via MSN to lukeyd
new rave as a term is entirely retarded, but then pretty much everybody hates these genrefication attempts anyway. some of the music that comes under the banner is lots of fun tho. soulwax, new young pony club, the rapture, klaxons. all good, all pretty different. i've even seen some people class lcd soundsystem as new rave, which james murphy would find hilarious.

it's indie music (nme/mixmag translation = music with guitars) that you can dance too (nme/mixmag translation = music with synths). if some indie-head (nme/mixmag translation = someone who likes guitars and dislikes clubbing cos it doesnt have enough guitars) made up the term 'new rave' just so he could start use a glowstick, then good for him. while you're at it, give me a glowstick, they're fun

the dj heralded as 'the champion' of new rave is apparently erol alkan, who is actually just a tech/house dj who sometimes puts a remix of a franz ferdinand track in his sets so the nme-reader fans at his club night durrr (which is an excellent way to spend your monday night) don't feel like they are betraying their allegiance.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:12 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

I like it how most of the nu-rave stuff on that disc is all remix stuff. Hmm. I also blame tv show Skins for this explosions in nu-rave bollocks.

Haven't the rapture been doing this for a long time?
Old 04-23-2007, 09:24 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

i think i prefer to call it "Blog House"

haha, wikipedia took down the Blog House entry! any way, it's not a rehash of old rave so the name is ridiculous. there are some undeniably fun tracks on disc 2 though.