Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 05:20 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Re: kode 9 + spaceape - memories of the future
no, as far as i've read online, and from my own perceptions, these lyrics, in their delivery and heavy, weighted presense, specifically imply some deep meaning. don't get my tone wrong. i'm not mad about not finding meaning. i'd be happier if the lyrics were further abstracted/cut-up/dubbed out. i absolutely don't need to find meaning, but i feel that with this LP, the implication is the lyrics are meaningful. your own posts point to the overall theme of the lyrics being a commentary on London and post-hardcore/rave mindest. You've gone so far as to point out a thread of virus/viral = bass metaphor, which to me, says these lyrics have meaning deeper than what i'm getting.

Karl's voice is not on every single UW track from start to finish and he vary's his delivery.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:26 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

if MC's are vital to dubstep, why are 90+% of the tunes instrumentals? the MC is why Grime has been a failure.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:27 PM
kid cue
ryooong

but that's a connection that i make just from being deeply, deeply into this scene. i read metaphors into Source Direct beats and the Evil Dead samples in "Scotty". it's not because i'm referencing some higher-up who states that the lyrics are intended to mean these exact things (although i'm sure they'd agree with my interpretation anyway).

i'm not sure what you've been reading, but bloggers (read: bedroom theoreticians) love this sort of rhetoric. Kode9 is into it himself, he's into putting the vibe into words. but that vibe is there in the music too. and, i'm willing to be that a lot of people blogging about this record are also deriving meaning from the lyrics just because they relate to the scene and the sound, not because they think they should be, and happen to get it.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:29 PM
kid cue
ryooong

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub
if MC's are vital to dubstep, why are 90+% of the tunes instrumentals? the MC is why Grime has been a failure.
MCs are vital in the DANCE. you go to a proper dubstep rave and there is an MC. it doesn't matter if it's Crazy D or Juakali or just some other DJ. there is an MC for hype just like there are rewinds.

grime has always been an MC based music. grime MCs are alienating to most audiences, but without MCs, grime would not be grime.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:32 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

do you honestly believe with his style and delivery that he (spaceape) doesn't believe his lyrics are deeply meaningful? it's not just listeners placing meaning on his words, it's explicitly implied in the way he presents them. this is not the same vibe as a live MC in dubstep. i've not been to an event with an MC, but i've heard at least 40hrs of sets that have MCs and never do the MCs approach anything like Spaceape's stuff. if this were typical MC babble, then i'd be able to let it go, but it's not.

what do you believe again, are his lyrics supposed to be nonsense and thrown away? or do you believe the lyrics are supposed to have deeper meaning?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:36 PM
kid cue
ryooong

i'm not sure it's explicitly implied - but ok, i agree that Spaceape sounds like he really is going for "real meaning". but what i believe is that what the lyrics are "supposed" to be shouldn't really matter to the listener. if you can glean some meaning from the lyrics, then fine. if not, they just have to sound good in the mix. personally, his lyrics mean about 5% to me what they probably mean to him, but that's ok with me. i hear the record the way *i* want to hear it, i make the connections *i* feel are relevant.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Aaron Contreras
meditate on bass weight

I really haven't enjoyed this album. I like 9Samurai but I mostly like the version with Spaceape on it. On the other hand, Spaceape sure seems to repeat himself a a lot on different tracks. Whassup with that?

Grime is pretty fucking lame. I've listened to more than I ever wanted to - and I've tried to like it - but goddamn most of those guys sound like twats. Please point me to Grime tracks that will turn me into a fan.

This album feels like they were trying to cash in / strike while hype was up. It doesn't have the same complete feeling as Various Production or Burial.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:42 PM
kid cue
ryooong

what grime have you listened to? i heart grime.

that Various Production album, now that was lame. Massive Attack for the 00s. "Hater" rules though.

there's a version of 9 Samurai with Spaceape?
Old 01-09-2007, 06:01 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

i wouldn't call Various Prod. grime. a few cuts, yes, but not in general. i have the last 6 months worth of Logan Sama shows on my laptop and Grime, in general, is much less interesting sonically than dubstep.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:16 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

chosen one by riko and whatshisname is the single greatest grime track in my opinion. anything else come close to this?

kid cue, you like(d) Def Jux didn't you? you seem like the type.