Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:00 AM
starfox203
mouseman

Why so much dislike for Beaucoup Fish?
This was the album that I first discovered Underworld, when Cups was featured on a random music collection.

Seriously though, Cups is an incredible song that has so many ups and downs and directions, it could almost be an album in itself. Then there's the sheer awesomeness of King of Snake and Jumbo, not to mention Bruce Lee - a non-traditional rock song that screams to be played so loud. Bruce Lee is way ahead of it's time anticipating the video-game punk rock of the late 2000's.

Push Upstairs is the single and it very catchy, but completely works. And Kittens and Moaner simply melt my brain. Moaner is one of the best album closers in history. A song so intense and amazing with an insane beat, structure and lyrics that I instantly feel hungover after it ends.

Winjer and Skym are much needed ambient breaks and perfectly placed in the sequence to give you a rest.

Push Downstairs is a nice diversion. Non-harmful but doesn't add anything.

The only song I don't like is Something Like A Mama, which I just removed and now doesn't impact the album at all.

The threequel of Dubno, Second Toughest and Beaucoup Fish is a run of subsequent albums that rank up there with The Beatles and Led Zeppelin.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:05 AM
gaborez
everythingeverythingevery

Re: Why so much dislike for Beaucoup Fish?
i like it
Old 09-09-2010, 10:11 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

More or less agree with you. The problem for me is that many of the better tracks were just done a lot better on Everything, Everything. "Cups" is still amazing and I like "Jumbo" in any form. "Kittens" is pure bliss and it's hard to forget how intense "Moaner" is. IMO it's just a little more spotty than the last two albums and is kinda easy to get burned out on. But it compares well with classics like "Dig Your Own Hole" and is better than any of Fatboy Slim's albums (which BF is inexorably linked to in my mind)
Old 09-09-2010, 10:36 AM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

The best thing about this album is the sequence of the songs. They were perfectly placed - which IMO most of the other UW albums lack. I do agree with Moaner being one of the best album closers as well. My biggest gripe though is the version of Moaner they placed on the album. The end of the track just abruptly fades - it's like coitus interruptus!

Something Like a Mama is probably the weakest link, but it does have some good breaks and drums. My suggestion is to take this track out and insert the full version of Moaner found on the single at the end and you'll have complete bliss.

Last edited by ultradave; 09-09-2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: coitus
Old 09-09-2010, 10:44 AM
cacophony
disquietude

i absolutely adore BF. it's brilliant, start to finish. and as 3495yaddayadda noted EE one-upped BF by doing every track better. the only low point is something like a mama but that's not enough to turn me off of the album.

on a song-by-song basis that album probably has the most 10/10 tracks for me. i love it.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:47 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

Cups and Jumbo make my top 5. BF is wonderful.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Spooky Shoes
Sole Man

The only problem I had with BF was the inclusion of Moaner, thanks to This I had already played it to death so for me the album closed on a low note.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:33 AM
khouri
khondo dweller

The only Beaucoup Fish songs I dislike are Bruce Lee and Push Downstairs. The former simply doesn't work, in my opinion, and is a huge distraction from the flow of the album. Push Downstairs just sounds awful; a bad, bad song and one of the few Underworld tracks I genuinely hate. If "Please Help Me" had been there in its place, BF would be the better for it.

I wasn't crazy about Something Like a Mama at first but its grown on me over the years.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:11 PM
testudo
JunkiesCriminalsFugitives

Location: The international territory and the mighty infamous
BF is my fav album. I wish Emerson would come back (despite the disparaging comments made by Rick and Karl).
Old 09-09-2010, 12:14 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

skym is completely silly, winjer too but less so, the rest is great.