Dirty Forums > underworld.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2019, 03:04 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Re: DRIFT Series 1 - New album, Nov 1, 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
Very crudely and broadly, I think the result of Rick and Karl so explicitly explaining what it is about their work that interests them is the realization that what they like and what we (or at least I) like about Underworld are not really the same thing.

started realizing this around the time of OWB and pretty much confirmed it for myself from then on. it sucked realizing that why I fell in and got so hyped were not for the reasons that rick and karl (mostly rick, eh) are in the game for. my high school brain bought into the idea of dirty, and with emerson's departure and an escalating fuss over perfectionism, polish, and control, subsequent albums seemed... less and less that. it was frustrating, and Barking saw me out of the fanboy zone for good. after the initial annoyance that kindred creative spirits aren't that so much, it's healthier to separate your POV and allow your heroes their own agency as to what their own work means! doesn't mean the processes you went through with it are less valid. if anything now you know it's a more original expression of where you were leaning towards anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khouri View Post
Indeed, the guys seem disdainful and even hostile towards the limitations that IMO have actually resulted in their best work.

interested in hearing more on this. i was not surprised to hear their dim view of the Riverruns, but it caused some indigestion nonetheless, especially as some of us have been saying it was their best work until all of this.