Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 12-04-2019, 10:55 AM
Dino3D
pants

Re: DRIFT Series 1 - New album, Nov 1, 2019
Still waiting my box to arrive to my local indie store...
Old 12-04-2019, 11:00 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by philth View Post
Threw the shipping box for my box set in the recycling bin, but took a few days to unwrap the box set itself. Don't see any part of the box set signed or numbered so I'm guessing I threw something out with the shipping box by mistake!
It's signed and numbered on the "Steam-powered man" insert that also has your download code.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:09 AM
philth
Sounding Like A Chainsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
It's signed and numbered on the "Steam-powered man" insert that also has your download code.

Mine isn't (unless I'm blind).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4561.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	459  

Last edited by TheBang; 12-05-2019 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Removed pic
Old 12-05-2019, 03:27 PM
mat
Bypass

Dude you just posted your download code (second picture, at the bottom) on a public forum!
Old 12-05-2019, 07:47 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by philth View Post
Mine isn't (unless I'm blind).
Not all copies were signed. After they sold out of the signed ones, they continued to sell the regular box set (not signed). When did you order? I think the signed ones sold out within the first 2-3 weeks. Also, look at your original order confirmation e-mail. It should say "signed & numbered". If it doesn't, then you ordered too late. If it does say "signed & numbered", and you got that, then they didn't send you the right one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat View Post
Dude you just posted your download code (second picture, at the bottom) on a public forum!
I've removed the pic now. Hopefully, he already redeemed it.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:58 AM
philth
Sounding Like A Chainsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Not all copies were signed. After they sold out of the signed ones, they continued to sell the regular box set (not signed). When did you order? I think the signed ones sold out within the first 2-3 weeks. Also, look at your original order confirmation e-mail. It should say "signed & numbered". If it doesn't, then you ordered too late. If it does say "signed & numbered", and you got that, then they didn't send you the right one.

I've removed the pic now. Hopefully, he already redeemed it.
Ah that’s fair. I ordered in July sometime so signed ones must have been sold out. Bought the tshirt bundle. And the code was redeemed on my account a while back so should be of no use to anyone else. 😀
Old 12-06-2019, 10:53 AM
lemonjelly
mouseman

the band have said on social media, emails etc they wanted to know fans thoughts. As I don't do facebook/twitter etc, here's a crucial bit of thinking I have had over the past week whilst reading the book, playing some of the discs, and anticipating the gig tomorrow. I'm inspired by the discussion about halfway through the book where everyone talks about the shifting the focus, via the project, away from the traditional record an album, release a lead single, then big event with the album (that quickly dies away after 3 weeks in most cases), and also the analogy of the series to tv series, which people (like Rick) come to sometimes years after the first series/pilot.
Rick talks about how the wow moments are unlikely to be the big expected ones, but are frequently found in unexpected times, places and situations.

my experience has been from the beginning, and I've religiously awaited every thursday and an email. I've then delighted in hearing something I've never heard before, and experienced the accompanying media. I engage with the track a lot for the week, and as releases pass, I relisten to prevous weeks releases, seeing a bigger whole, so in many ways I have new experiences all the way through the project.

but equally i know there is a collection of the project coming. and when this happens, I have all sorts of new experiences with hearing the music differently. My stereo is so superior to the pc speakers, so I hear so much that is new in these tunes. I therefore get to have brand new forms of engagement with each track, and each episode. wow!

not only that, but the box also has the equivalent of a full albums worth of other, previously unheard portions of the same project. WoW!

I also have this physical product, and as referenced in the artists discussion, I truly love the product. I don't mind streaming/digital, but the physical wins for me everytime. On this occasion, we're properly spoiled! the book, and the extensive notes are a phenomenal companion. again, wow!

So my interpretation (probably wrong, but hey ho) is that as artists, the band wanted to move away from the big wow moment. An unintended consequence, has been me experiencing a phenomenal ongoing series of wows, still happening now. every week for a year, and then repeatedly for the month I've had the box, almost daily I've had another wow. I know I'll have several wow moments tomorrow night when seeing the live version.

Genuinely, my re-istening to all 6 discs has been a delight. There isn't a single track I don't like. Some, heard in isolation didn't move me at first go, and these would'v e been listened to less frequently across the year, but they'd still have been there. With the box/discs, hearing sounds in the whole, I've really loved some tracks that didn't grab me before. This project has helped me engage in self reflection.

The version of appleshine continuum in the box is for me a vastly different track. I think the weekly release is just my favourite, but it is close. That's one amazing piece of music.

we know from the barking credits they sometimes view the forum, so perhaps they might see this.

one query, in the credits there aren't any references to altitude dub continuum are there? or is that me?
Old 12-07-2019, 03:49 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
I appreciate your reactions and generally agree. It's a special time to be a fan, to ponder and consider the Drift process.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:49 AM
bazwint
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonjelly View Post
The version of appleshine continuum in the box is for me a vastly different track. I think the weekly release is just my favourite, but it is close. That's one amazing piece of music.

The PCM Bluray vid is phenomenal. Crank it up!!
Old 12-10-2019, 09:55 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

Finally got my boxset and divers into the text commentary while listening to the discs. I don't have anything to add about the music itself at the moment, but their thoughts on the music are very interesting and create complicated thoughts for me. I need to dwell on it further to really articulate this well. Very crudely and broadly, I think the result of Rick and Karl so explicitly explaining what it is about their work that interests them is the realization that what they like and what we (or at least I) like about Underworld are not really the same thing. Indeed, the guys seem disdainful and even hostile towards the limitations that IMO have actually resulted in their best work.

(Mind you, I'm a comic book editor. It's my job and nature to impose limitations upon artists, with a view to creating something cohesive, digestible and lasting.)

So yeah, complex feelings about this new understanding of their creative worlds.