Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2008, 01:48 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Mogwai post unedited pitchfork review before pitchfork does
this is either the most hilariously overwrought work of hatred and parody on the part of Mogwai, or... i dont know....

Quote:
Dear dear me, it seems that there has been a second unfortunate Mogwai related leak this week. This was forwarded to us by an anonymous source, it is the unedited Pitchfork.com review of The Hawk Is Howling.
go to http://mogwai.co.uk/ for the full body because it's a huge, track-by-track dissection and it's too big to post here. for best results, scan until you find something priceless. there's a lot.

incidentally, if anyones heard it what do you think?
Old 09-02-2008, 01:31 AM
grady
fac321

Re: Mogwai post unedited pitchfork review before pitchfork does
That seems like a fitting mockery of a Pitchfork dissection via the Mogwai crew. I haven't even listened to the album enough to get through the description of the first track, nor do I have the patience to do say at this hour.

You only have to go to the second paragraph on the first track:

Quote:
There is a yearning and loneliness in the track, which builds slowly and deliberately (albeit with more than an obvious nod in its introduction
toward The Cure’s 1980 single “A Forest”; this is most notable at 00:34,
00:51, 1:17 and 1:34 into the piece). It seems a sure bet that this
generally happy-go-lucky Scottish combo had to engage some serious soul
searching in order to come up with a title for the track that reflected the
heaviness and overall mood they were attempting to put forth. And, yes, they almost succeed.
As for the new album. I've listened to it twice thus far and like. I'm not wow/blown away by it, but have enjoyed each listen. The past two weeks I've been listening to most of my Mogwai collection gearing up to see them perform live this coming Wednesday. They're starting the US leg of their tour in support of the new album here in Portland.

Last edited by grady; 09-02-2008 at 01:33 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:03 PM
IsiliRunite
de la Michigan

Send a message via AIM to IsiliRunite
what is a good album to introduce Mogwai to new listeners?
Old 09-12-2008, 12:29 AM
grady
fac321

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsiliRunite View Post
what is a good album to introduce Mogwai to new listeners?
I generally go with Rock Action as a good introduction for friends.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:43 PM
pafufta816
mouseman

Send a message via AIM to pafufta816
i'm a fellow portlander as well, how was the show?
Old 09-13-2008, 01:45 AM
grady
fac321

Another Portlander in the land of dirty? This seems like a first I think.

The show was good, the crowd, not so good. Since the show was part of the opening night of Music Fest NW there seemed to be an abundance of tourist like people hopping from venue to venue via the power of their red bracelets that gave door entry to venues per the show not being at capacity.

Luckily these people drifted away as soon as the first few songs wrapped. You could see the look and body language of the people expressing a sense of confusion. "Was this it?" "Just five guys on stage?" At one point I overheard, "I thought these guys were supposed to be good."

As it was the first show of the tour, there seemed to a be one or two snags with some lighting cues and timing. It's hard to discern whether this can be attributed to the venue or the crew. I wasn't quite sure what to expect from mogwai live and at points I was reminded of the few times I've seen Spiritualized live and how the music just seems to wash over the audience as a wall of sound. This is not meant to be a negative in regards to the show, just an observation.

Quite a few songs were played off the new album and two in particular I was quite happy to hear live, The Precipice and Scotland's Shame. I've included a photo of the set list my friend took with his i-phone after the show. I approached the sound tech to look at the list. He would not part with it as he needed the notes on it for the next night's show, but also mentioned that they would be changing things up night to night.

set list

Someone in the audience also recorded most of the show and has uploaded the videos to youtube.

Last edited by grady; 09-13-2008 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:38 PM
beh
CLT

Saw 'em in SF on 9/8. Bloody brilliant. I haven't heard the new album outside the live tracks I heard, thought they were great. And 2 Rights Make 1 Wrong live is always worth the price of admission. Really looking forward to the new album on the 23rd.

(I did get a t-shirt, don't normally buy concert shirts, but the one I got was really ironic -- a girl holding a finger to her mouth making a 'shh' sound.)

bh

Last edited by beh; 09-17-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:41 PM
beh
CLT

For those asking about shows -- http://youngteam.co.uk/brightlight/eng/gigs08.php .

Beware of red.

bh

PS. Bobcat was huge to end the show.

Last edited by beh; 09-17-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:43 PM
beh
CLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady View Post
I generally go with Rock Action as a good introduction for friends.
This one is tough. Rock Action is my favorite Mogwai album but it's probably the most different than the others. Perhaps Mr. Beast, or just get the new album in a week.

bh
Old 09-18-2008, 08:53 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

being a later fan of mogwai i'd have to say rock action def. felt like a weak album for quite a long time after being introduced to the near perfect happy songs for happy people
'true' fans will tell you CODY is life itself and by now they've lost the plot but i wasn't too thrilled with that one. happy songs was the way in for me, and the progression into mr beast and now this one is really beautiful.