Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

Re: Underworld "The Anthology 1992-2012" and "A Collection": Release Dec. 4, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion View Post

...and someone mentioned that "Simple Peal" was different - but I don't really notice any differences (between the "Anthology" "Barking" "Underworldlive.com" and "Beautiful Burnout ArtJam - The Art of Underworld" releases
That might be me you are talking about. I mentioned that, but others say that isn't the case, so I should listen to the Barking version and the Anthology version back to back. I had thought that one section that lasted for only a short while was different. I'll double check.

About Oich Oich, someone was talking about how it had a video in '93...I'm curious about Oich Oich (one of my favorite UW tracks)...I've heard some call it a STITI era track and others call it a Dubno era track. Which era is it? Does it belong to one or the other, or did it emerge in between the end of the Dubno era tracks but before the creation of the STITI era tracks?

Also, about the Big Meat Show, it is too bad about the vocals being cut off at one point. It is a demo, though. But I'm glad that a different version of the leaked track was made available. It is nice to have another version of it. I still like the Dubno DAT demo better. Hopefully the CD version of Big Meat Show will have an edit of the cut off lyrics and a better ending (it does fade really fast).
Old 12-13-2011, 01:58 AM
Mike
born013

Re: Underworld "The Anthology 1992-2012" and "A Collection": Release Dec. 4, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappys Curry View Post
About Oich Oich, someone was talking about how it had a video in '93...I'm curious about Oich Oich (one of my favorite UW tracks)...I've heard some call it a STITI era track and others call it a Dubno era track. Which era is it? Does it belong to one or the other, or did it emerge in between the end of the Dubno era tracks but before the creation of the STITI era tracks?
I don't think it is so absolute. If your talking about when it was released on CD, then i would call it a STITI era track... And the atmosphere certainly fits more into the STITI.

Although you could also argue that Juanita, Air Towel and NUXX were being played in some of their early shows - they could have even been written at the same time as some Dubno era tracks...

The music timeline seems complex. They have always been creative - writing tracks, shelving tracks, bringing back tracks that were written 10 years ago to complete them...
Old 12-13-2011, 02:49 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Re: Underworld "1992-2012 The Anthology " and "A Collection": Release Dec. 4, 2011
Like Mike said, it's hard to say sometimes. For example, for Always Loved a Film, would you consider it an AHDO era track, RiverRun era, OwB era, or Barking era? Because it had versions appear in each of those. For simplicity's sake, I'd categorize it for when it was officially released.

But even then, Oich Oich is cloudier than your average track. As someone mentioned, on the Footwear Repairs jacket, the music video is listed as 1993. So would that count as an official release before its first official audio release in 1996? I don't know.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:19 AM
gaborez
everythingeverythingevery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappys Curry View Post
Somewhere in my loft is a copy of 'Kiteless - A Tomato Project' which in case anyone doesnt know was a VHS released way back before Footwear Repairs. I think Footwear Repairs is this Kiteless project plus later STITH vids (oh, and Dirty apparently).

Anyhoo, the Kiteless VHS came out in 1994 and has the Oich Oich vid on it. In fact i think snippets of Oich Oich may've been used between the other tracks too (?). It was great at the time to get a brand new track on the vid

I guess that puts it deffo in the dubno era... It being so old i wasnt so excited when it appeared with Pearls Girl, but Cherry Pie made me very happy
Old 12-14-2011, 03:42 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Re: Underworld "1992-2012 The Anthology " and "A Collection": Release Dec. 4, 2011
yea - Oich Oich is definitely a 'dubno' track... not only did they perform it live back then, it was also 'finished enough' to be put on an official release (although, as a video first.) To me it even "sounds" more like a dubno song than a STITI
Old 12-15-2011, 06:48 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

I think it's best not to question the track choices at all, they're weird across the board. Like I don't understand how "To Heal" is on the second disc in lieu of something like "JAL to Tokyo" or "Always Loved a Film" as it's totally different (and much shorter) than everything else on the set (at least until disc 3)

either way - gives me an excuse to hear all these oldies again. seriously wondering if my kids are going to be looking at me someday the way I did my parents when they listened to Huey Lewis & the News or Steely Dan. still love everything here
Old 12-16-2011, 09:14 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

The Anthology is now on Spotify.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:37 PM
negative1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty0900 View Post
yeah, but the US doesn't allow access to
disc 3, bonus tracks.does the UK?

later
Old 12-18-2011, 12:31 AM
lament
sniffin the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty0900 View Post
It's also on Rdio, but with the shorter Bigmouth and Jumbo.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:49 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by negative1 View Post
yeah, but the US doesn't allow access to
disc 3, bonus tracks.does the UK?

later
No, just the two disc ones and as lament said, with the shorter Bigmouth and Jumbo