Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:18 AM
Julia Massey
river

Music Licensing - Caliban's Dream
Greetings from Ho Chi Minh City,
I'm a film-maker currently editing a film for a very high profile non-profit organisation here.
The film aims to raise awareness of how Vietnamese donors are helping put in place initiatives to help children born into disadvantaged circumstances. I wanted to use the track Caliban's Dream with the film. Can anyone offer any advice as to who I might approach for permission to use this track?
Many thanks,
Julia
Old 10-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Mike
born013

Re: Music Licensing - Caliban's Dream
I would first try the music rights society of your region, which in Vietnam is VCPMC - http://www.vcpmc.org/vcpmc/

I am not by any means an expert on this, but I think that film makers don't necessarily go to artists to ask permission to use their music, they go to the owners of the rights (publishing company for example).

However, most countries have a Music licenicing organisation such as VCPMC in Vietnam and collect royalties from you on their behalf.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:06 PM
vacant
pretty

Re: Music Licensing - Caliban's Dream
Mike, You're right, licensing requests should always go to the rights holder, generally the publishing company.
For Caliban's Dream the Publisher is the London Olympics Organising Committee (LOCOG), sub-published by Universal Music. As I'd imagine LOCOG is all but disbanded now, Universal should be your first port of call.

v.