Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > world.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Sean
Where in the world...?

California overturns ban on same-sex marriage
I'm sure many of you have already heard about the fact that California's Supreme Court has overturned a ban against same-sex marriage. It's a great step forward that I personally feel is long overdue.

And today, the Pope reiterated the church's stance that "only unions between a man and a woman are moral". As far as I'm concerned, there was a time and place for advocating only male-female marriages, but it's looooong gone. I tend to look at these things from an evolutionary point of view, and while in the distant past it was a necessity for human survival that we procreate, we really don't face any threat of extinction from dwindling numbers at this point in human history. So marriage between a man and woman that's centered around the idea of populating the planet with our species has rightly evolved to be much more of a social foundation in which procreation is no longer necessary for survival. In fact, there are probably too many people on the planet as it is, so if anything, we could do with a little less baby-makin'. In my opinion, this is one of those issues where the church will end up clinging to the mindset of the past loooooong after the practicality of that mindset has gone bye-bye - like when they executed people who said things like the earth wasn't actually at the center of the universe.

In this current reality, I think that what's important to marriage's survival is more that it be between people who love each other, and who are willing to take on the commitment that pledging your companionship to someone for a lifetime requires. It's an institution that helps us mature as a society by teaching us the importance of being responsible for someone and something other than ourselves, being faithful to them by honoring our publicly stated commitments, and being there to support each other through difficult times. These values are absolutely essential to our positive survival as a society, but are not unique to a heterosexual relationship the way that creating a baby is.

So bravo to my home state of California, and let's hope it catches on.

Last edited by Sean; 05-16-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:16 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Re: California overturns ban on same-sex marriage
I kind of feel all pressured now to be committed. Isn't that an oxymoron(s)(s)?

Old 05-16-2008, 04:02 PM
cacophony
disquietude

i actually forgot that california had a ban. it seemed like such a gimmie for equal rights for gays since so many of the equal rights laws were already in place.

i have no doubt that christian conservative states like georgia and alabama will follow up with homophobic tightening of legal language forbidding such sin.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Deckard
issue 37

I don't fully understand the way laws are passed and overturned over there, but is there any way that the Supreme Court's decision might be reversed, making same-sex marriage illegal again?
Old 05-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
I don't fully understand the way laws are passed and overturned over there, but is there any way that the Supreme Court's decision might be reversed, making same-sex marriage illegal again?
There's always that chance.

"A conservative group said it would ask California's Supreme Court to postpone putting its decision legalizing gay marriage into effect until after the fall election. That's when voters will likely have a chance to weigh in on a proposed amendment to California's constitution that would bar same-sex couples from getting married."

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1
Old 05-16-2008, 11:13 PM
Sarcasmo
apocalypso

Send a message via Yahoo to Sarcasmo
The Governator has said he'd fight any proposed changes to the California Constitution.
You dodged a massive fucking bullet, man. The really huge Super Mario kind with the eyes on the side, where you had to run and duck into the little divot to avoid shrinking. You did that. You got into that divot, and you're still super sized, and you can break blocks with your face. Now get out there and step on some fucking turtles!!
Old 06-15-2008, 02:02 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ

(?): Hey, let's go to CA & get married.

jOHN: What?

(?): No, no. Listen. Then, once it's all final, we go to the divorce court and ask for the paperwork to get a divorce.
We can get in the papers as the first gay couple to divorce.

jOHN: That's already happened.

(?): WHAT?

jOHN: Send me your picture. I'll get you in papers, heading's going to read: Goofy B.

Last edited by jOHN rODRIGUEZ; 06-15-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Deckard
issue 37

and they say romance is dead!
Old 06-16-2008, 11:50 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
and they say romance is dead!

ooops, I know. I think I kind of got into some trouble with that one.

I change that film soundtrack wedding song thread thing to B. Idol's The Dead Next Door. It's still never going to happen.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:02 PM
beh
CLT

I went down to SF City Hall on Mon to see the two old lesbians get married. Actually didn't see anything, was outside with the revelers (and protesters).

But this moment will go down in history. It will always be etched in my mind, just like the 2004 "marriages" I saw at City Hall. (I'm not a Gavin Newsom fan [SF mayor], but his 2004 decision was truly courageous.)

I've seen such beauty, love, commitment, excitment, and the fulfilment of equal rights this past week that it has brought tears to my eyes. The city, especially the Castro, has been a-buzz.

Gay Pride in SF next week is going to be special.

I'm proud to be a Californian.

Brad -- homo living in the Castro, SF who does NOT believe in the concept of marriage (but does love the Underworld!).

Last edited by beh; 06-19-2008 at 09:13 PM.