Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2009, 10:28 AM
geoff
lay it on me two donuts

Re: A doubt..
If Best Mamgu Ever isn't "intimate" enough for you, well ... something wrong with you.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Maethodik
river

Youìre right. I really love best mamgu ever. I was talking about new works after OWB.
I hope you're right. I only feel the sensation that these tracks are less mature in sound.
I really, really hope that is only my problem.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:55 PM
the mongoose
talks to God

I think that with Oblivion With Bells they made some great steps in the right direction; so if they really do release a happy 80's pop sing-song disco album I will be a bit bummed out actually. But I'll still check it out of course because I trust their musical judgement and usually there is a whole variety of different tunes on the LP. Although, Diamond Jigsaw is, in my opinion, taking the lyrics and synths almost into the embarrassing "gettting too old to be cool for the kids" territory..............of which songs like "Un---da---neath--tha--raaa-dar" never had to worry about back in the day when everyone was doing piles of cocaine and no one could compare it with all of the brilliant shit to come like Dirty Epic, Cowgirl, Sappys Curry, Blueski, etc. What might have been a good idea for a song on Change the Weather in the 80's is not going to gel as well with new or existing fans........ instead I would suggest they go with something more unique and personal kinda like Moon Under Water, Pecan Sandies, You Do Scribble, Food A Ready, Back in the Fears, and Between Stars.
Diamond Jigsaw is not a bad track in it's structure or execution, it's just not my taste in music really. To each his/her own.

Last edited by the mongoose; 08-13-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Dunwho
Big Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOHN rODRIGUEZ View Post
I wish they would use more percussian, or a least percussian sounding sounds things or something.
Yea the percussion has really taken a backseat in what iver heard lately...
Old 08-13-2009, 07:37 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

intricate percussion is something you work out in the studio. straight kicks are much easier to match and improvise around in the live setting. once rick gets his headphones on and starts getting deep in the machinery, you can guarantee the tracks are going to get progressively more intricate w/r/t percussion and atmospheric layers.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:07 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Nooooo Diamond Jigsaw is one of the best! I really hope it makes the next album, 80's synths and all! I don't see it as being anything like "Underneath the Radar", and even if it was, it is fine because that song ruled anyways!!
Old 08-13-2009, 10:29 PM
the mongoose
talks to God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j View Post
Nooooo Diamond Jigsaw is one of the best! I really hope it makes the next album, 80's synths and all! I don't see it as being anything like "Underneath the Radar", and even if it was, it is fine because that song ruled anyways!!

Actually what I was saying is that Underneath the Radar is just fine, as is Doot Doot and Lemon Interupt, because it was novel and unique for it's time. This new song sounds like something off of the Cocktails movie soundtrack mixed with a dash of Chariots of Fire. It is a bit catchy after a time or two, so hopefully they can tone it back a bit and still have a good track....I'm thinking something along the structure of 8Ball. I could handle that.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:24 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunwho View Post
Yea the percussion has really taken a backseat in what iver heard lately...
Oh shut up Miss Gram.rr.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:57 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

look Underworld have moved onwards... get over it

if we start with dubno, it was a dance classic of the 90's, but stiti was a change in direction and even more acclaimed, then we had ahdo and again it was different - those who loved the two previous albums dissed it because it was a change - owb was, well, i think Rick & Karl's own personal album of what they wanted to release for them... it was perfect for the time - and it stands well

now we're at a different stage - uw have so much stuff in the can that they can release what they like for who they like.

why not let them release a bunch of uplifting choons that have a happy feel - these new tracks and new direction are more 'band' than 'dance' group, sure they work well on the dance floor and that's where uw want to get back to, big happy dance tunes - they started out together 30 years ago in a proper band and why not get back to it - Karl is more than just a lyricalist - he's an acclaimed musician and was a pretty tidy singer back in uw mk I days... so let the boy sing and play

uw are not going to release Born Slippy II neither are they gonna make Juanita II, whatever you liked before, good - enjoy it, most have stood the tests of time and remain timeless classics but don't hanker after the old days, move on - this is where uw are at now - its quite possible that uw can release a bunch of chart(type) tracks alongside RRP type melodic music - they are clever chaps you know

i'm really looking forward to the new stuff - i'm especially looking forward to the worked up version of Diamond Jigsaw which i suspect will see a big release and daytime radio play - its that kind of tune - if it loses some fans here - it'll certainly attract some new converts elsewhere

there is no 'Underworld sound', the only constant really is Karl's vocals, everything else has moved along - even if it means going backwards with the sound to steal the 80's electro styles - hell, UW were there in the 80's its not like some of these young upstarts that weren't even born in the 80's release cod-80's electro crap - uw's TIME IS NOW
Old 08-14-2009, 07:08 AM
Mike
born013

I agree with Matt, particularly about getting hung up on the real classics like Juanita etc. All the albums progressed, moved on etc and i still love listening to AHDO, OWB etc.. If anything, Rick used to always talk about getting a 'groove' back into the songs, and OWB demonstrates that perfectly - yeah it may not be easy listening, but theres some top quality material!

Did you mean Between Stars as the daytime radio potential release matt? it definatly seems the more commercial of the two, i really like it and i would be really proud as a fan if it got a release... miles more potential then TMO ever had and i really think it would give Born Slippy a run for its money in todays charts.

RRPs dont do it for me, i guess i always saw them as a B-Side collection, work in progress etc.. some really nice tracks, im not keen on the way the tracks are mixed i guess im a purist when it comes to releases