Dirty Forums > headset.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2009, 01:18 PM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Re: Aphex Twin - New album
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lx_Nen View Post
How times change... I'm really jealous now, but back in about '94 I walked out on the Aphex Twin after about 5 mins of what may (or may not, it was kind of hard to tell) have been the legendary 'playing discs of sandpaper on turntables' gig at Megadog.
Supposedly after 5 mins of doing that, he then put some ambiance on and then blended some mics before switching to machine gun gabber. Seen him play under a typically daft name with a laptop and I was blown away with the sounds coming out of it. Sure stuff released as The Tuss was being played 5/6 before its release.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:53 PM
Eikman
a life less extraordinary

i must say, as much as i love the early twin, this is probably going to suck as much as 80% of the stuff he has done over the last decade....

Old 03-20-2009, 05:58 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

The Tuss and a handful of tracks from Analord are as good as anything he's ever done.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:29 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

so does anyone have any idea what his live show is like these days?
Old 03-21-2009, 03:46 AM
Eikman
a life less extraordinary

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Snake View Post
i saw him 2 or 3 years ago and he was mostly playing some drill'n'bass, mixed up with some pop/rnb (i heard missy elliott somewhere in his set) and some of his more popular tracks. if i remember it was all done with a laptop and seemed more like a dj set. i was disappointed.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:37 AM
Jan
vision

Quote:
http://forum.watmm.com/index.php?showtopic=43785
This is missing the first 20 minutes, though. There is another, complete bootleg but it sounds very bad.
The intro is awesome: http://www.sendspace.com/file/1oox01
uw#0523
Old 03-29-2009, 06:22 AM
froopy seal
amazinglytogetherpinniped

Send a message via ICQ to froopy seal
Quote:
The Aphex Twin Mega Torrent on The Mixing Bowl contains live sets from 1992 to 2006. There are some bootlegs from 2008 on there, too (simply do a search for "aphex twin" and sort by date).
Old 04-06-2009, 04:12 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

so, me and Stimpee saw Aphex Twin this saturday. We actually also met him in person cause he was staying at the same hotel as us
Anyway I was impressed with the show, even though I'm really not all that familiar with his work (I only own the ambient works 1 cd, and he played only one track of that) but the sound was solid and progressed from some calmer electro/breakbeat stuff to absolutely batshit insane loud&distorted at the end. I had to move to the back about halfway trough cause it was getting too hot and too loud in the middle of the crowd. The video screens were showing a combination of a spinning AFX logo, psychedelic patterns and computer rendered versions of Aphex's face being distorted in various ways, and getting more and more evil as the set progressed. For some reason during the last track they were showing what looked like a autopsy/dissection on a human body, which was pretty gross.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:38 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

that sounds a lot like his set at Coachella last year.

at that show - it started out with some hiphop (he even played Public Enemy) then it went into electro (even some cheesy stuff) then like... it got a bit more spooky & was stuff more like the "Tuss" album

at that point we left to catch another show... but I heard a boot of the performance and after that - he played harder, more distorted stuff (so probably was good that I left)

he's definitely someone that I think you kind of "have" to see - if at least for a solid 20 min
Old 04-06-2009, 10:29 AM
Jan
vision

I was a little disappointed by his set. Just a few Aphex tracks (Fenix Funk 5, Mookid, some older stuff), but mostly generic gabber/hardcore... Didn't like the visuals either, some fooling around with the AFX logo and a 3D image of his face. And the scat videos were awful... I'm not easily disturbed or anything like that, but I fail to see the artistic value in just wanting to shock people.
Best set of the evening was Squarepusher. He played a good mix of new and old tunes; sadly it ended after just an hour. There is an awesome bootleg of a recent concert floating around and it's pretty similar to his set at STRP.
Close second was Venetian Snares, who played a better gabber/breakcore set than AFX. Of course there were tracks from is recent album Filth, but I also noticed Gentleman and Sajtban from Detrimentalist, Mouth from printf (I had hoped for this), something from Making Orange Things and The Chocolate Wheelchair Album, Hajnal and Második galamb from Rossz, Szycag from Meathole (yes!!!), and Pink + Green.
Vibert gets the third place, his first set was okay (mostly some downtempo stuff, also a few tracks under his Vibert alias). For his second set he played some brilliant drum and bass. I think it was mostly his own stuff, but I didn't know any track names. No Plug tracks. Hopefully he'll release another dnb album in the future.
The AFX set really was the weakest of those I saw.

Quote:
I noticed that most people weren't wearing ear plugs. In the past I've suffered from acute hearing loss (unrelated to music listening, almost back to normal now) and tinnitus for life is not something you want to have as a concert souvenir. There are musician ear plugs (for example the Etymotic ER-20), and they are pretty good.
uw#0523