Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > interupt.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:57 PM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

Whatcha playing right now?
Hmm this forum is not getting nearly enough love. I know there must be a lot of gamers among us here.

Well it's always fun to have a what are you listening to/reading/playing right now thread so here goes.

I'm currently playing:

Alan Wake - Just started this today as I found a limited edition on sale while on holiday for about 15 euro. Really nice, comes with soundtrack and "Alan Wake Files" book and Making-of (have not watched that yet). I was playing today with a friend and we played through the first two episodes. So far it's been really great. The atmosphere is very well done and I can't wait to see what happens next. The graphics are awesome as well, and the emphasis on lightness/darkness as a gameplay mechanic as well as a story element works really well.

Dead Space - Just found this on sale for 7,50 euro yesterday. I had been wanting to get it for a while cause it got pretty good reviews but I try to buy my games as cheap as possible I've only played half an hour or so so far, but still, it's pretty scary, although predictable at the same time. Seems pretty by the numbers but well executed nonetheless.

Shadow Complex - Actually I had played this before but kinda lost interest. Thought I'd give it another try and I find I'm enjoying it at least a bit again. It's basically Super Metroid but with a more generic future/military design, but it plays really fluidly and looks quite pretty. I like the 2d gameplay on this, which is a nice old skool change from the usual 3d stuff.

Just finished playing World in Conflict on the PC. This was another game I'd been playing before lost interest in for some reason. I picked it up again though and man am I glad I did. This is just one of the best RTS games I've played, and a big part is how well the story is told. All the voice acting is just top notch and there's some really good characters and writing that really make you care for the battles more than in any other rts. It's really more focused on action that your classic base-building, resource gathering gameplay and when the action gets going it can get really intense, especially with all the tactical firepower (artillery barrages, airstrikes, carpet bombing) at your disposal.

so...what are you playing right now, or what notable games have you played recently?

Last edited by King of Snake; 06-17-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:00 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Re: Whatcha playing right now?
Left4Dead2. Been playing that for a while. It's fun to kill zombies, and fight other people on Vs.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:30 PM
dubnobasswithme
koob!

portal 2 co-op with a buddy of mine from high school and then elder scrolls iv: oblivion a second time through so that i can do the dark brotherhood guild quests

uw0006
Old 06-18-2011, 03:32 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

Ah Oblivion. I tried to play that and also recently Fallout 3 but I just can't seem to get into these games at all. But then I guess I just don't really like most "western style" rpg playing, having grown up on Zelda and Secret of Mana mostly
I did like Planescape Torment back in the day and Star Wars KOTOR but everything in Oblivion seemed just so generic. Mind you I only played it for a couple of hours so maybe it gets better but I just don't think it's for me.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:27 PM
dubnobasswithme
koob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Snake View Post
Ah Oblivion. I tried to play that and also recently Fallout 3 but I just can't seem to get into these games at all. But then I guess I just don't really like most "western style" rpg playing, having grown up on Zelda and Secret of Mana mostly
I did like Planescape Torment back in the day and Star Wars KOTOR but everything in Oblivion seemed just so generic. Mind you I only played it for a couple of hours so maybe it gets better but I just don't think it's for me.
it took me a little while to get into oblivion (more than a few hours if i recall correctly). once i was in though, i was hooked : ) same went for fallout 3, but that was largely due to the fact that i had a serious ammo shortage for the first chunk of the game. once i was in the bullets, things went a lot better.

i'd never thought about a east/west distinction in rpgs, but you're totally right that the two differ drastically in styles. thanks for the observation!

uw0006
Old 06-20-2011, 12:59 AM
Bargo
pants

LA Noire
I really am loving this game quite a lot, the plot has dragged me in and I do like the way that it's split up into individual cases.. each is a little bite-sized chunk of around 1-2 hours worth of gameplay which is perfect for me because I just can't do epic gaming sessions anymore. The DLC is also well worth it, the two new cases released thus far have both been exceptional.

Duke Nukem Forever
The single player is merely average.. not quite the shit-fest that all the reviews are making it out to be, but still not exactly good either.. but the multiplayer is great fun! Really takes me back to the old Duke3D deathmatching days.. it's great to have a multiplayer FPS again that's just plain chaotic and fun. Fuck I love using pipebombs.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:16 AM
froopy seal
amazinglytogetherpinniped

Send a message via ICQ to froopy seal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bargo View Post
it's great to have a multiplayer FPS again that's just plain chaotic and fun. Fuck I love using pipebombs.
I still like Unreal Tournament for LAN games with non-techie friends. Low specs, air full of bullets, cool head-shot announcements = great for cheap fun.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:51 PM
the mongoose
talks to God

Child of Eden - fantastic music/rhythm based shooter that you control using the Kinect sensor (ie waving your hands to target enemies, and then pushing your hands like using the Force from Star Wars in order to make all the targeted foes explode). Very immersive and emotionally investing experience.

LA Noire - Crazy violent and thought provoking period crime drama with a dose of Who Wants to be a Millionaire thrown in for good measure. Like naked women? Like mutilation? If you answered yes to both these, than this game will be right up your alley (or a similar alley with a blood trail full of clues leading the way).

UFC Personal Trainer - Very responsive and intuitive alternative to going to the gym to work up a sweat. This Kinect controlled exercise game gives you the option to jump into a series of simple, yet effective activities based inside of the famous Octagon of the Ultimate Fighting Championship branded sport of MMA (mixed martial arts). But you can also go futher into the personalized fitness rabbit hole and select a 30 or 60 day regimen of workouts that are all slightly different each time to add variety and keep you engaged in achieving your goals (fat loss, strength, or endurance). Squats, pushups, curls, stretching, and MMA all rolled into one hell of a workout each day.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Yannick
Mew Mew

just bought a new xbox360 a few weeks ago...so far

L.A Noire: just completed the story mode, really good overall quite impressed with the facial animations.

Mortal Kombat: just completed story mode too... I use to be quite addicted to the arcade, skipping school to go play like, barely reaching the control lol... i'm quite happy with this version, the story line was so so but I didnt expect much, visually the thing is amazing and quite fun replay wise, I now started the 300 challenge tower, its kinda silly at first but it really force you to explore much more of the game, where in the past i'd usually play with the same 3-4 character and wouldn't bother much with the rest. I still havent subscribe to the xbox live gold, but I will soon and get my ass kicked online lol.

other games I got...

Need for Speed : Hot Pursuits... enjoying it so far, quick racing satisfaction
Gears of Wars 2... I just played GOW 1 on pc... expecting a lot from this one
Halo 3... haven't started yet... played 1 and 2 on the old xbox...
Left for Dead 1... I have L4D2 on the pc.. so I felt like trying the original...
Ninja Gaiden 2... haven't unwrapped it yet lol, #1 kicked my ass on the xbox I never finished it
Virtua Fighter 5... played a little so far...
Old 08-08-2011, 05:40 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

I've totally been going retro lately:

Zelda: A Link to the Past (on my original SNES)
Final Fantasy 3 (US vers. on the SNES)

Last new game played was Portal 2 on the mac.