Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 07-07-2019, 04:20 PM
iamneorev
pants

Re: DRIFT SONGS - New album, Oct 25, 2019
Also, it seems Karl has thrown a wrench in all of this as he calls them "albums" when talking about the Drift Songs boxset being comprised of "seven albums" in this video at 9:44

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=317946779092263
Old 07-07-2019, 04:46 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

This process seems indistinguishable from how an album is made, imo. here we have a spawl of tracks with a loose aesthetic goal, and at the end of this process they're going to curate it into a statement of what they've explored and created as a band, more or less.

Just because we're somewhat let into the process doesn't change what it essentially is. These are episodes, not EPs. it might be convenient in the RYM sense to classify them as such, but they don't really function as EPs do. The only thing that makes this seem like anything other than an album is the transparency in making it.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:06 PM
taotsu
taotsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamneorev View Post
Thank you.

I really threw a wrench in these Discog folk's thought process when they tried to use the band actually calling Drift Songs an album and not personally saying the Episodes were EPs. The band may call Drift Songs an album, but the single disc is actually a selection of tracks from the EPs and the 6CD being all the EPs together, thus making Drift Songs a compilation by Discogs' rules, NOT an album. I did link an article where it stated they would be releasing 5 EPs and an album, but they are saying that is not good enough.
I was actually going to add that, songs will be a compilation. Unless and even then I’d still say that, they make major changes.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:36 AM
purlieu
enofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamneorev View Post
Also, it seems Karl has thrown a wrench in all of this as he calls them "albums" when talking about the Drift Songs boxset being comprised of "seven albums" in this video at 9:44

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=317946779092263
Seven??
Old 07-08-2019, 07:33 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

one of them is a DVD though. so I think the musical part being 5+1 is still accurate

interesting thing from that interview...looks like they know what they're going to be working on post-Drift?
Old 07-08-2019, 01:06 PM
purlieu
enofa

Yeah, I noticed that, and I don't think the interviewer did, because otherwise she'd have been straight in there asking what he was talking about!
Old 07-08-2019, 04:02 PM
iamneorev
pants

I also caught that and was like, "Hey interviewer, you gonna go further with that comment? ...Hello?!?!"
Old 07-08-2019, 04:14 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

Finally put together my tracklist. This isn't a prediction of what UW will do, just what I'd do with the available material if I were the curator. It's about 2 minutes too long so assume an edit somewhere. I suppose this is an attempt to emulate the structure and flow of past Underworld albums.

1. Universe of Can When Back
2. Listen to Their No
3. Custard Speedtalk
4. This Must be Drum Street
5. Appleshine (Film Edit)
6. Dexters Chalk
7. Altitude Dub
8. Schipol Test
9. Poet Cat
10. Border Country
11. Dune
Old 07-08-2019, 05:35 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

I feel like Soniamode is a definite.

EDIT: ah, not a prediction. guess you dont like Sonia?
Old 07-08-2019, 06:39 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

WWUD?

I do agree with the idea of them not including border country in the same way that STITI didnt have nuxx. they talked like it's a good live tool when intro'ing it and they historically cared much more about the integrity of the album's statement than shoe-horning fan favorites. almost every album has its goofy duds while we rave about how great the B-sides are.

if we're thinking about the overall place underworld are in aesthetically and sonically, and how that would be represented in an album, knowing how they've constructed their albums before, i think these are the current tiers the tracks are in

Definite:
Another Silent Way --> Low Between Zebras
It's that which kicked the whole thing off, and the mission statement as chaser. seems obvious to me.
Listen to Their No
literally sold as the single
Dexter's Chalk
Hyde's most distinct vocal performance and seems like the more rounded "banger" of the group, even though we all love BC, yes yes...
Soniamode
They seemed really excited giving us this one and they even let us in on their tweaks with it.
Appleshine
You just don't do a 50 minute riff off of this without thinking that this is the main flag of The Sound.
Altitude Dub
I vote for this being the (edited) goofy dud of the album. it'll work with like 10% of people, everyone else will hate it or make their peace with it. this is the ring road, the trim, the surfboy...

Probable, or at the very least wouldn't be surprised:
Custard Speedtalk
You really could retrofit this to be that nice 3rd track jam that breaks up the banger energy and gives us that full-view UW. Karl's lyrics really grate on me in places though but that's neither here or there...
This Must Be Drum Street
Played out live and i think it's quite liked, and requires tilting the head a bit to get it. that synth is just too out of place for me and i firmly believe that "do you wanna buy my car" is trying to evoke something out of nothing, but that's not stopped them before and I'll probably get used to both as essential to the thing.
------------
Dune
Again, would probably need to be re-structured and added to. but this is the sola sistim, the jumbo, the tongue, the moon in water one of the album if it makes it.
Universe of Can When Back
Seems too good to ignore but it's a bit spare and almost like it's either ASW or this one.
Hundred Weight Hammer
Count on them to make the very brave and utterly terrible decision to include this based on how buzzed they were on the process of making it, but also overweening chutzpah. Though if this is included Altitude Dub is out.

Outside chance, but nah:
Border Country
I'm probably underhyping it for the sake of my argument above. this could be the Dino 3D near-end inclusion like khouri had, or it could be left off entirely.
Brussels
They gave us this as a magical result of last minute frenzy and it probably belongs to that moment. don't see it making it onto the final product unless they make it a little more elegant. those melodies are powerful though, might get cannibalized into something else.
Pinetum
Just spends too damn long being empty. structurally it's for the tension, and it works, but album-wise it's just too much real estate.
Schipol Test
It's good, but there are many similar options in front of this. this is the quintessential b-side to me.
Poet Cat
really???

Nope:
Threat of Rain
great track, but en-tirely for the fans
Molehill
fuck off

Last edited by dubman; 07-08-2019 at 07:59 PM.