crank
I'm a big sister

Re: Bungalow with Stairs album
what he said.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:03 PM
lowbit
future pundit

I was checking the board (this forum and thread in particular) virtually every day ever since learning about the Bungalow with Stairs disc back in September. I've had a browser window open on my desktop specifically for that purpose for the last two months. Unfortunately the first time I was unable to check the thread for a couple of days because I was traveling was apparently exactly when they decided to finally make the disc available.

But that's not really the point. This is a compact disc. They can press as many copies as they like, for minimal incremental cost. They can even go back and do another run, if it looks like their original assessment of interest was off. There are entire companies that exist primarily to provide that service inexpensively. Or if even that minimal incremental cost is too much, they could have put the disc up for sale in purely digital form, for virtually no incremental cost.

Any of those solutions would allow those of us interested in hearing the music (not owning some rare collectible – hearing and enjoying the music) to give them money for the privilege of doing so, to compensate them and support their art. Instead they chose to offer only a few copies that were left over from the show, leaving those who want to listen to the music and weren't lucky enough to be monitoring the site or the forums at the right time with no legitimate path to do so.

That's what I mean by making it so hard to get. It's ridiculous. And completely unnecessary.

Last edited by lowbit; 11-25-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:12 AM
purlieu
enofa

Yeah, I do understand all of that, I just think it's bullshit, really.
I'm a musician, I recently released a very limited run CDr. I don't have a large or strong fanbase, certainly, but once the last copy had sold out I put it online for anybody else to hear. Everybody has their own perspectives on it, and I'm not saying that Underworld 'should' do one thing, especially if the album was intended for the exhibition (although I'm sure I read that there are previously heard sections of this disc? Which would suggest that it wasn't entirely composed for the exhibition - correct me if I'm wrong), but my perspective is: if you're going to share your art, then share it. Don't make it only available for an exclusive group of people who can attend an exhibition in Japan, or happen to be online with a spare wad of cash for a particular few days. Don't make it a competition as to who can get it and who can't.

This isn't the 180 tracks they haven't released, because - one way or another - they haven't felt the time is right to release those. I respect that. I don't respect making it available to some and then simply closing the door on everyone else. And sadly, for anyone not living in Japan, the difference between the two groups seems to be financial (can't afford to get to Japan or pay the extortionate CD price? No music for you, m'laddo).
Old 11-26-2010, 08:05 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

<< I'm a musician, I recently released a very limited run CDr. I don't have a large or strong fanbase, certainly, but once the last copy had sold out I put it online for anybody else to hear. >>

Well how is that fair to the people who spent the money on your album? Aren't you just encouraging people to not pay for your next release? I'd certainly be questioning why I just spent $$ when it was available a month later for free.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:24 AM
purlieu
enofa

Because it was available as a mid-quality mp3 without the hand-made packaging, and the disc was sold at a low price. I'm not saying it's a model that's necessarily perfect for Underworld, but it highlights my perspective that music shouldn't just be for those who can afford it at the right time. The packaging made it collectable, which was an enjoyable project, but the music is art and I don't want the enjoyment of it to be part of some exclusive little club.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:08 AM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

http://www.underworldlive.com/shop/m...ArID=1&AID=872

Click Now... limited availability for sure - but I just ordered mine! YEAH!!!!!
Old 11-26-2010, 10:11 AM
lowbit
future pundit

For anyone reading who still wants to purchase one: There are more copies available on underworldlive.com right now, BTW.

(Yeah, I ordered one. And yeah, I still think it's ridiculous to not make the music more readily available.)
Old 11-26-2010, 12:26 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Well, after all that, I'm glad lowbit was able to get his copy.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:04 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

so tempted to order another copy...
Old 11-26-2010, 11:32 PM
lowbit
future pundit

Thanks TB. Since most of my favorite UW tracks tend toward the ambient/atmospheric side, I'm very much looking forward to hearing this disc!