Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > bound.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:46 AM
GforGroove
marca libre

Re: currently reading?
Im reading Against the Day by Thomas Python. Its so huge.. i don't know when im going to finish.. Is fun: anarchist from the 1900's with a crazy dog flying in a zepellin.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:58 AM
grady
fac321

Not too get too nerdy here but one of my co-workers also works at Powell's books here in Portland.

This past weekend the fluttering gossip around the store involved the arrival and customer, Cormac McCarthy. Apparently he was in this past Saturday, the 10th. The giveaway to his true identity finally came after a few hours of speculations when the credit card he was paying for his purchases said, Cormac McCarthy.

All that nonsense aside, a segment of the adaptation of The Road is being shot on the Northern Oregon coast. Perhaps his arrival in the area is to visit the production of the film?

Last edited by grady; 05-16-2008 at 05:17 PM. Reason: word play
Old 05-16-2008, 03:09 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

BOOM! - Tom Brokaw. A must read for everyone.

Race - Marc Aronson. Why this is not available in every public library is beyond me.

Bonk - Mary Roach. Not as good as Stiff and Spook. It kinda grossed me out.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:24 AM
m.g.
teh n00b

I know... I often posted here about Henning Mankell's novels, but I think that he's one of the very best authors in crime fiction. Just finished Firewall (which is the last in the Wallander serie) that I nearly couldn't stop reading it in the last 3 days. Amazing.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:40 PM
grady
fac321

A Wild Haruki Chase - Reading Murakami Around the World

A book of essays by translators of Haruki Murakami's work. Many of the pieces are from a symposium on Murakami's work for a year or so back. Some interesting pieces throughout.

Murakami also has a new book of non-fiction coming out next month here in the states called, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. An excerpt from the book was published in the most recent issue of the New Yorker as part of it's summer fiction issue. (Unfortunately, the New Yorker did not make the piece available online.)

link to the book.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:12 PM
Strangelet
rico suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady View Post
A Wild Haruki Chase - Reading Murakami Around the World

A book of essays by translators of Haruki Murakami's work. Many of the pieces are from a symposium on Murakami's work for a year or so back. Some interesting pieces throughout.

Murakami also has a new book of non-fiction coming out next month here in the states called, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. An excerpt from the book was published in the most recent issue of the New Yorker as part of it's summer fiction issue. (Unfortunately, the New Yorker did not make the piece available online.)

link to the book.

to a clear fan, can I ask what is the deal with this guy? Why would I want to read his books, and what should I start with?

- Mark Twain

Old 06-16-2008, 03:11 PM
grady
fac321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelet View Post
to a clear fan, can I ask what is the deal with this guy? Why would I want to read his books, and what should I start with?
The deal with the guy is that he can write pretty engaging, entertaining, and intriguing novels and short stories from time to time. He's not perfect, but is pretty darn enjoyable when he's on. You may want to read his book to experience a strange blend of science fiction, pop culture iconography, music, cooking, and history all balled up into one and written by a Japanese writer.

I would recommend starting with the novel Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. If you like that, try a short story collection like The Elephant Vanishes.

Murakami recommendations seem to vary from person to person though and a good discussion can be found over in the following thread.

link

Reading the collection of essays by his translators has made the need to revisit some of his novels and short stories again in the near future a priority.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Strangelet
rico suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady View Post
I would recommend starting with the novel Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.
picked it up. thanks mate.

- Mark Twain

Old 06-17-2008, 04:19 PM
grady
fac321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelet View Post
picked it up. thanks mate.
Cool. I'm curious to know your reaction.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Caprice
pants

The Art of Happiness