Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > static.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Caprice
pants

I think I'm going to do it this time.
Recently, I received my letters back from the Universities I applied to and was not admitted to either. So in lieu of that I want to give myself a vacation. Trip Hop has dominated my life for the past 2 years now it seems like. I'm very interested in Bristol and visiting it. I sympathize so much with the music and art I've encountered there in my life. I've been listening to Drum n Bass and Trip Hop for about 10 years now, but it wasn't until I got Portishead's self titled that things really started to feel to me. The music I make and want to make has such an influence from it. One of the best songs I've made is a Portishead inspired track collaborating with my friend Katie. It seems like now, it would benefit me much to visit Bristol, and Portishead and feel the culture there. Take a week, 2 weeks, maybe longer to get to know the city and the surrounding area then bring that knowledge back to my land in Kentucky here.
I was looking at my schedule and decided that it would be best for me to go in August. I have different travel plans about to be proactive in the US here, then I will calibrate myself for the journey to Bristol. It then occurred to me the term "August Bank Holidays." I've only now begun researching the August Bank Holiday system and how to enjoy it. But I ask you fellow Dirty's the best way to coordinate the August Bank Holidays. How to enjoy them and such. I suspect it goes on in every city, with every city having different plans to enjoy it. Also, I've heard Europe is great to visit in August.
I have no interest in visiting London, or the surrounding cities. Possibly Romford for an Underworld encounter. But I would also like to travel through Spain and France. My Spanish is pretty good and my French is navigable. I also have a friend in Germany but it is wishful thinking to accomplish so much. If the train fares are reasonable enough I will try to accomplish it all, but Bristol is the main target here.
If any Dirty's can give me some good traveling advice for an American I would appreciate it. I have a passport already, and have debated on traveling out of Canada for cheaper airfare. My plan is to get there with a large backpack and rough it. Staying at Hostels if I have to and making money where I can performing on the street for cash to eat. Areas to watch out for and not be a target of crime I would appreciate as well. I assume times are tight all across the world.
Anything to watch out for, look out for, or enjoy please post in this thread. I would like to visit the old stomping grounds of Massive Attack if anyone knows where .

Thanks
Old 05-28-2011, 04:54 PM
//\/\/
slogging it out

Re: I think I'm going to do it this time.
a. august bank holiday = just a day off work (no sense of celebration)

b. Romford's a bit of a crap-hole, and uw probably won't be there/only live near there judging by karl's rural hints and pics. in short, London is a better day out.

c. No cities surround London

d. Europe is awesome no matter where you go (apart from Belgium - though they have the best beer to balance things out)
Old 05-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Caprice
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by //\/\/ View Post
a. august bank holiday = just a day off work (no sense of celebration)

b. Romford's a bit of a crap-hole, and uw probably won't be there/only live near there judging by karl's rural hints and pics. in short, London is a better day out.

c. No cities surround London

d. Europe is awesome no matter where you go (apart from Belgium - though they have the best beer to balance things out)
a. good to know

b. i dont care

c. The UK is roughly the size of Michigan

d. and here i thought it was the Germans!

thanks
Old 05-29-2011, 04:43 PM
//\/\/
slogging it out

d. nope - Belgians have it covered, believe me!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:39 AM
froopy seal
amazinglytogetherpinniped

Send a message via ICQ to froopy seal
That is, don't believe him.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Caprice
pants

Update:

Looking into Couch Surfing along the way in Bristol. I have confirmed with my friend from Normandy I can come to stay with him for however long. We want to explore the Basque country of Spain as well. I still want to give Bristol at least two weeks of my time to learn all I can. Been trying to figure out where Special K's cafe is.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:01 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

to get right to the point, those bristol guys were influenced by early hip hop from NYC and early 80s rnb and some rare groove. you'd be better served watching Wild Style, smoking a joint and spending your valuable time in England visiting a decent city.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:07 PM
stimpee
Administrator

Bristol is decent, but its not worth 2 weeks. You can see it in a weekend...
Old 06-06-2011, 04:12 AM
Caprice
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub View Post
to get right to the point, those bristol guys were influenced by early hip hop from NYC and early 80s rnb and some rare groove. you'd be better served watching Wild Style, smoking a joint and spending your valuable time in England visiting a decent city.

I plan on doing the latter of the two. The matter is that I know they were influenced by early East Coast Hip Hop and Soul and R&B. But I feel there must be some uniqueness about Bristol that allowed this consequential new genre of music to thrive. Along with Drum n Bass. That is what I want to go investigate for my own good.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Deckard
issue 37

This year's Bristol International Balloon Fiesta is 11th - 14th August 2011. If you find a decent spot, it's usually quite an impressive sight, providing it doesn't rain - a dry weekend is by no means guaranteed, especially in August! Not sure if your trip will overlap this weekend at all?

As for the uniqueness of Bristol, on the surface it's just another English city in many ways. A bit more laid back perhaps, quite a wealth of creative talent (certainly in terms of animation), and there was definitely a thriving alternative scene when I grew up. But don't expect some magical ambience to hit you! If you hunt out the birthplace of Tricky and end up in Knowle West, you'll know what I mean! (Ditto Portishead - great music, shame about the place!)