Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > bound.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:38 AM
Tom
BttKBtKt!

Send a message via AIM to Tom Send a message via MSN to Tom
Re: Dune
Just finished them all. Wow.

5 and 6 were very, very cool. Teg = Teh Bizniss.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:52 AM
adam
blue

I fucking told you. When he first goes into slow motion realm I shit my pants.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:53 AM
adam
blue

It absolutely a coincidence that I started my first post in this thread and the previous one with, "I fucking told you." I just flipped back to see if I referred to Teg in the first post, and lo and behold. I know I swear a lot, but that's still pretty weird.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:56 AM
Tom
BttKBtKt!

I'd be quite happy to read an entire book dedicated to Teg kicking everything to bits.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:11 AM
adam
blue

MINOR SPOILERS AHOY

One of the things that I love is the richness of the galaxy he's described. Like, you could just read the glossary to the first book and have some pretty interesting ideas. The Orange Catholic bible and all that.

It is a terrible pity he didn't get the chance to wind up the series himself. Supposedly his son is working on the final novel from his notes, but my instinct is to stay away. This isn't, perhaps, fair to his son, but it is out of respect for his father's work.

The thing about the first one is the sense it gives you of watching genius at work. I mean, through out the entire novel, you're getting glimpses of brilliance set against brilliance. Leto is involved in a chess game of such complexity you can barely grasp it. And the snatches of insight into their trains of thought, doom, I think, any translation into film to failure. They can grasp the surface of the book, but never the substance.

Paul's duel is riveting (He gives water to the dead!). As was his blinding. I loved The Prophet character.

I loved the descriptions of their hyper-senses, like when they're detecting secret passages by wind drafts and such.

And, the, of course, there is the litany against fear:

"I must fear. Fear is the mind killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will let my fear pass over me, and through me, and when it is gone I will turn the inward eye and see its passage, and only I will remain." <-- that's from memory, and I'm drunk, but it's pretty close, no?
Old 08-17-2006, 12:33 AM
Tom
BttKBtKt!

More spoilers.

I really liked the Bene Tleilax. Especially in 5 and 6, where their inner workings are more explored. Fanatics, Immortality through cloned genetic memory - Awesome.

I also really liked the idea, and the implied results, of the scattering. Humankind expanding outward infinitely and evolving into new things.

After reading them in such rapid succession, it's kind of hard to recall specifics from the earlier books.

You're right when you talk about the richness in his work. It's a living galaxy.

His son best not fuck this shit up.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:52 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

just finished book 4, and although I sort of had a hard time getting into it in the beginning ([COLOR=sandybrown]not entirely surprising since most of the main and supporting characters from the previous books are now long gone[/COLOR]), I managed to grab me more and more as I kept reading.
I'm off to the bookstore for book 5