Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2023, 02:47 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Thing in a Book appreciation thread
So, my wife and I had our first child just under three weeks ago.

In the months ahead of her birth, I put together a massive 'chill out' playlist - for times when the baby was fussy, when we were tired etc. It contained all the obvious choices, and some lesser known stuff... and the baby hated it.

Brian Eno's "Music For Airports"? - garbage
"Rockabye Baby" compilations - trash
Bowie instrumentals - what is this filth?

BUT

She absolutely loves LOVES L.O.V.E.S. "Thing in a Book" - can't get enough of "Thing in a Book", put it on replay, 'Uh oh - we've hit the part when the kick drum goes away... that's the signal to make sure you've got the next song cued up ('Thing in a Book' - again).

"Second Hand" - no thank you, it's too short.

We've now listened to 'Thing in a Book" for hours

So what I'm saying is, please Rick & Karl... Please make another "Thing in a Book" -esque track. If not for me, than for my newborn.

...'215 Miles' is "fine", but it's no "Thing in a Book"
Old 10-23-2023, 03:13 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Re: Thing in a Book appreciation thread
I love this.
how does a three week old react to music so that it's obvious that they're reacting to the music specifically? not casting doubt, just curious. my experience with babies (two much younger sisters and extended family additions) is that outside stimuli is stimulating, but they tend to move on to the next impulse unless they're experiencing active discomfort. Not like I've played any music at babies, but it's hard to imagine them having preferences beyond the tangible needs and comforts.
Old 10-24-2023, 12:45 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

This is great. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-24-2023, 01:52 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

Ok, I know it sounds crazy, but to give a specific example from the other night -

It was 3:30 AM, we had changed the baby's diaper, fed her, and burped her. My wife was holding the baby, rocking her as she was singing over the "Rockabye Baby" version of 'Octopus's Garden'

Our baby just wouldn't stop fussing, it was now getting closer to 4 AM.

I promptly switched over to "Thing in a Book" - and she cooed / sighed, and immediately relaxed. She was asleep within MOMENTS.

So while not the most scientific of methods - it seems to work!

It's become the go-to method to soothe her. I literally played it back-to-back three times this morning.
Old 10-25-2023, 09:38 AM
AndyHarris
river

Friend of mine's baby wouldn't calm down without Propellerheads' "Go Faster"!
Old 10-25-2023, 01:16 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion View Post
Ok, I know it sounds crazy, but to give a specific example from the other night -

It was 3:30 AM, we had changed the baby's diaper, fed her, and burped her. My wife was holding the baby, rocking her as she was singing over the "Rockabye Baby" version of 'Octopus's Garden'

Our baby just wouldn't stop fussing, it was now getting closer to 4 AM.

I promptly switched over to "Thing in a Book" - and she cooed / sighed, and immediately relaxed. She was asleep within MOMENTS.

So while not the most scientific of methods - it seems to work!

It's become the go-to method to soothe her. I literally played it back-to-back three times this morning.
that's wild. yeah, thanks for sharing! Thing in a Book is one of those that keeps coming up whenever I'm having a pretty calm one, so it's no surprise, but still neat that a three month old would respond like that.

Last edited by dubman; 10-25-2023 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-02-2023, 08:55 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

congrats!

love TIAB! I also remember an appreciation thread for this one from like 20 years ago (on the old Dirty boards.)