Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:16 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Drift Ep. 2...wishes and predictions
Hey all,

Since apparently Thursday is the start of the next Episode of the Drift project, I thought it'd be fun to discuss what you think/hope the next phase will entail.

Leaning towards a specific style, or more experimental? More guest artists?

Personally, I really enjoyed the weekly new releases for EP. 1, but as stand-alone tracks, some (Dexter's Chalk, Universe of when can back) resonated more than others (Low between zebras, A very silent way). However, placed side by side, it feels cohesive and I play it straight through (though I'm still not very into Very Silent Way).

The RiverRuns (which is what I'd compare these occasional, self-released collections of non-album tunes) had a fair amount of variety between tracks, but distilled/generalized down, they each have a distinct mood and a prevalent genre(simplifying, but for me, LBT is "happy"/dance; PFE is "melancholy"/electro; IABS... Is "soothing"/ambient. Just one guy's opinion, please debate that classification!). Wondering if Drift 2 will take it in a similar direction, such that each Episode has a style or mood in common? Or will it be fairly random and any linkage is just assumed by the listener?

I will always appreciate the banging tracks, so hopefully more of those... though puelrely ambient UW is great, too.

Last edited by holden; 01-22-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:09 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

Re: Drift Ep. 2...wishes and predictions
Border Country is still out there. I'm hopeful we see more of apple shine. There's also that track used in the VW play the road and the drift trailer still to come. Assuming there's more than 2 drift episodes, I figure we'll get at least one of those in this batch.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:35 PM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

I mean... honestly, even after all these years - I still hope that "Five Points" is going to get some kind of release.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:56 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion View Post
I mean... honestly, even after all these years - I still hope that "Five Points" is going to get some kind of release.
My theory is that "Five Points" was a Darren track. It sounds a bit like "Scorchio" that he did with Digweed.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:20 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

I'm a big fan of this quick+dirty, does-it-jam, get-them-out approach. More of that! I don't think they've fully stretched out in banger mode for some time and it'd be nice to see them stay loud and loose for awhile. That sax on Universe of Can When Back is exactly the attitude I want spread out.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:10 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubman View Post
That sax on Universe of Can When Back is exactly the attitude I want spread out.
Definitely one of my favorite parts from the first episode when that comes in.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:38 PM
potatobroth
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethelion View Post
came here for this. wasnt disappointed.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:57 AM
atticinsane
river

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpig View Post
Border Country is still out there. I'm hopeful we see more of apple shine. There's also that track used in the VW play the road and the drift trailer still to come. Assuming there's more than 2 drift episodes, I figure we'll get at least one of those in this batch.
Karl was on the BBC Radio 6 breakfast show this morning and said that 'Apple Shine' was going to be the first 'Drift episode 2' track, slated for release for later today (6pm UK time).

link to the Radio show (go to around 2:08:30 for the Underworld stuff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00024md

Last edited by atticinsane; 01-24-2019 at 06:02 AM. Reason: added link
Old 01-24-2019, 12:34 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

the idea of them folding in old unreleased tracks that only nerds like us know about is very exciting
Old 01-24-2019, 02:53 PM
taotsu
taotsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j View Post
the idea of them folding in old unreleased tracks that only nerds like us know about is very exciting
Indeed. And gosh, I would gladly take more rehearsals! And pay for them. Not that I’m rich, they too need to feed their families and I gladly pay some for a couple of flacs! (And Apple shine is dope! Great start!)