mmm skyscraper
fac123

Re: The Simpsons - The Movie - 07.27.07
Sweet.....
Old 02-19-2007, 03:39 PM
grady
fac321

I love the shot near the end with Homer and the Pig where he's craddling it and blowing on it's belly.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

I really think this film will be shit. It should have been made 6 years ago, from the trailer it looks like theres to many ideas being checked around.

*Runs*
Old 02-19-2007, 04:11 PM
grady
fac321

Yeah, I have a feeling this is going to be a near miss, but I like to keep hope alive, mainly out of sheer enjoyment occassionally of weekly episodes.

This week's episode spoofing Michael Apted's Up documentary series of films had some great laughs.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:03 PM
Sean
Where in the world...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden
Can't believe we're debating cartoons worth... They're supposed to make you laugh, is all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grady
True they are just cartoons,
Okay....check yerselves, people. "Just cartoons"? Do you have any idea how much work goes into making an animated short, commercial, television show, or feature film? Or how many incredibly talented artists it requires to be able to pull it off? And I suppose that shows like the Simpsons and Family Guy have two strikes against them in that they're also comedies...Hollywood's least respected genre. All based on ignorance. Most any great comedian could also deliver a high quality dramatic performance, but not so many dramatic actors can deliver a high quality comic performance. Put simply, great comedies are about a hundred times harder to make than great dramas.

All that being said, I think it's hard to compare Simpsons to Family Guy to South Park to any other animated show on tv. They all just have very different approaches. South Park's put down of Family Guy seemed kind of failed to me because it was essentially criticizing a bird for flying. The comedic style of Family Guy is unabashadly to go off on tangeants as the opportunities present themselves, just as a bird's main mode of transportation is to fly. South Park is a more solid three act structure. The Simpsons falls somewhere in the middle, but probably closer to the three act structure again.

I hope the Simpsons movie is good. I honestly haven't heard anything about the film from friends working over there since they're all preoccupied with the fact that the studio's shutting down when they finish up the projects they're already working on.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:41 PM
grady
fac321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean
Okay....check yerselves, people. "Just cartoons"? Do you have any idea how much work goes into making an animated short, commercial, television show, or feature film? Or how many incredibly talented artists it requires to be able to pull it off? And I suppose that shows like the Simpsons and Family Guy have two strikes against them in that they're also comedies...Hollywood's least respected genre. All based on ignorance. Most any great comedian could also deliver a high quality dramatic performance, but not so many dramatic actors can deliver a high quality comic performance. Put simply, great comedies are about a hundred times harder to make than great dramas.
To quote myself Sean, So yeah, they're cartoons, but much greater thought and care goes into each episode of the Simpsons.

I do have an idea of the amount of work goes into creating an animated short, a feature, a commercial and a feature length film. I've been privy to people who've worked on the simpsons, as well as others in the film industry, the context of that quote is taken a bit too far, but I can understand your knee jerk response sean, esp. in light of the recent thread regarding animated films a few weeks back. I feel I've pretty well checked myself and have tried to avoid the simple breakdown you've made regarding the big three(Simpsons, S.P., and F.Guy).

Everyone one has their bias regarding the big three and you could almost draw and analogy to political parties with the shows in questions. But at this point in the evening I don't have the patience to do so.

So to answer your query, I do understand the amount of work, time and creative ingenuity that goes into constructing a 30 second shot, or a 30 second spot, or a 30 minute short.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:48 PM
den
100% of nothing

Send a message via AIM to den Send a message via MSN to den
As far as Simpsons vs. Family Guy goes, here are my thoughts. The Simpsons, partially becauase of their longevity (and speaking as a whole, not specific recent or past seasons), is a lot more characeter based. Think about how many episodes there have been about secondary characters, like Apu or Moe, that are more story driven. You actually care about the characters. Family Guy is more random and skit based, without the attachment. Besides Brian and Stewie, I feel like most of the other characters aren't that compelling, at least not to base a whole episode around. I'm not saying that one show is funnier than the other, they're just funnier in different ways.

One show I have recently enjoyed more is Futurama (also apparently coming back with new episodes). I think it has the development of the characters, but also a lot more freedom for random stories and parodies. My favorite episode is the one with the Harlem Globetrotter planet and the time crystals. Completely hilarious, but it also ends on a sad and touching note. And there's also that Fry's dog episode.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:32 PM
koisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by den
My favorite episode is the one with the Harlem Globetrotter planet and the time crystals. Completely hilarious, but it also ends on a sad and touching note. And there's also that Fry's dog episode.
While you were gone, the Globetrotters held a press conference informing everyone that I was a 'jive sucka.

Look people. Here's the facts: Season 3-8 Simpsons > Futurama > South Park > Family Guy > Season 1-2 Simpsons > Simpsons after season 8
Old 02-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Strawman
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by grady
You're correct. The show has been picked up for another two seasons.

link

With this renewal, that will take us to Season 19. And at the moment only seasons one through seven are available on DVD.

Actually the complete 8th season is now available....
Old 02-21-2007, 08:16 PM
b.miller
Gentleman Loafer

Send a message via ICQ to b.miller Send a message via AIM to b.miller Send a message via MSN to b.miller Send a message via Yahoo to b.miller
how come nobody ever splits the family guy into eras? I personally found their first run a lot funnier than once they were brought back.

and WHY isn't American Dad in any of these comparisons!!!!???! i am OUTRAGED!!!

or not.