Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > treatment.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Kennrr
mouseman

No Country for Old Men
so saw this yesterday, thought it was an amazing film, but can someone give me the spoiler or summary of the end? when that sheriff was talking, i was tired and kinda slept through that and than... you know.

anyone want to explain it to me?

it was great film and the pacing was superb up to when the sheriff visits that guy with the cats...
Old 11-10-2007, 10:35 PM
grady
fac321

Re: No Country for Old Men
I haven't seen this yet as Portland is one of the second/third class release tier cities, but having read the book, and quite a few reviews, I have a feeling the film's screenplay adheres to the book's closing scenes too.

I know a person here has seen it.

ahem

b.miller

cough

cough
Old 11-11-2007, 09:44 AM
b.miller
Gentleman Loafer

Send a message via ICQ to b.miller Send a message via AIM to b.miller Send a message via MSN to b.miller Send a message via Yahoo to b.miller
yeah... but if you slept through the scene, maybe you should just see it again to figure out what it means. it's not like it's a bad movie that seeing a second time would be too boring to do.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:48 AM
justy
river

There is, of course, the novel to seek out as well.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:38 AM
Scott Warner
delicious candy taster

Send a message via AIM to Scott Warner
I saw this last night with Aaron and a few other people from work and I thought it was pretty great. In the last 1/4 of the film I think it goes a little bit off as the Coen's fantastic moviemaking clashes with some of what I assume is the more philosophical moments of the source material and instead of carrying the momentum of what's come before it just sort of ends on some deep thoughts, mannn; I guess my reaction here was I get it rather than feel it.

But, the vast majority of this film is highly recommended. It's intense.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:13 AM
grady
fac321

This was an interesting experience watching this film as it produeced somewhat similar emotions/reactions as when I read the novel. There are points in both the novel and the film that one becomes enthralled and wrapped up in the intensity of the moment. I feel it's somewhat difficult to go into greater detail and elaborate on some of what I'm trying to get at without spoiling some of the story so I was stop there.

However this film is something that feels like the perfect marriage of two different mediums. You have the incredibly talented filmmakers and a wonderfully crafted novel from a great writer.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:56 PM
grady
fac321

A week or so back, the Coen Brothers along with Josh Brolin and Javier Bardem were on Charlie Rose. The entire show is available online. It's worth a watch.

link
Old 11-22-2007, 07:07 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennrr
so saw this yesterday, thought it was an amazing film, but can someone give me the spoiler or summary of the end? when that sheriff was talking, i was tired and kinda slept through that and than... you know.

anyone want to explain it to me?

it was great film and the pacing was superb up to when the sheriff visits that guy with the cats...
How to make your own Dirty spoiler: http://www.darktrain.org/dirty/forum...ead.php?t=4298 (the sticky at the top of this forum)
Old 11-24-2007, 07:33 AM
Scott Warner
delicious candy taster

Send a message via AIM to Scott Warner
This isn't much of a spoiler:

Tommy Lee's character is basically saying things ain't like they used to be, and the way things are now shocks him so much he doesn't want to carry on doing what he was doing. Think about the speech at the beginning and what he says at the end.

Bottom line here is that it's not a Hollywood ending for sure.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:21 PM
cacophony
disquietude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Warner
Tommy Lee's character is basically saying things ain't like they used to be, and the way things are now shocks him so much he doesn't want to carry on doing what he was doing. Think about the speech at the beginning and what he says at the end.
which is interesting considering the conversation he had with the wheelchair bound fellow, who illustrated that things are exactly the way they used to be. the details may be different, but going back to his ancestors there had always been violence and inexplicable pain and cruelty. and i think the point illustrated in the sherriff's dream that he recounts at the end, is that time keeps moving on and there's always light waiting for you, no matter how long the path is. just like chigurh's fascination with the paths coins take, life takes a similar path, just goes where it goes and ends up where it ends up and everything along the way is just details. at least that's what i got from it, and i appreciated the way the message was woven thoughout.

i realize you weren't commenting directly on this. your comment just brought this to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenPea
I found myself rooting for Chigurgh the whole movie, basically idealism gone wrong. The only man in the movie that doesn't act like an animal trying to survive or get rich but following his rigid set of principles and the rest of the world be damned. And I guess that makes him stronger that the rest of the characters as he is someone that cannot be bought or controlled.
i think it's odd that you "rooted" for chigurh. i don't know that any of the characters were presented in such a protagonist-like role. i think the point with chigurh is that he was inexplicable, unfathomable, and set on his path with an inevitability that even he didn't seem capable of explaining. if i felt anything for chigurh, i felt pity. it was as if his obsession with coins illustrated that he could comprehend nothing but the inevitability of the way coins travel. and even that comprehension was tenuous as illustrated by his confrontation with carson wells, who questioned whether chigurh understood how truly crazy he was.