Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > treatment.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:54 AM
grady
fac321

The Departed
I haven't seen it yet but will be later this evening so lets get the thread going now.

Who is seeing it tonight?

From what it sounds like, this is going to be a good Scorsese picture/film, whichever term you prefer. Kind of hard not to imagine Nicholson not being good in the hands of Scorsese. If only DiCaprio wasn't in the film. I just haven't been impressed with the guy and don't see what Scorsese finds so fascinating about him. Maybe this picture will change my opinion.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:48 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

Re: The Departed
Im planning on seeing it, i love my benefits of free film tickets! Reviews have all been fairly positive to.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:52 AM
grady
fac321

Seems like most American critics have been wetting their pants over the film. Part of this I think can be related to the past two rather sub-par films Scorsese made. With lower than low expectations, one can always end up being surprised.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:35 PM
b.miller
Gentleman Loafer

Send a message via ICQ to b.miller Send a message via AIM to b.miller Send a message via MSN to b.miller Send a message via Yahoo to b.miller
it's really good. It IS a remake let's not forget but the cast and Scorsese make it interesting even if you know the story. It's really good.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:44 PM
kagenaki koe
children are futura

Infernal Affairs was a really good movie. when i saw the trailer for The Departed (the scene where they break the cast), i immediately thought "hey they ripped that off that HK movie!". didnt know this was the US remake.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Kennrr
mouseman

i didn't know this is the hk remake! now i'm more interested in seeing it. the first two Infernal Affairs movie are great.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:44 PM
kid cue
ryooong

just got back from seeing this. i thought the movie was really well done, meticulously balanced. Dicaprio i thought was pretty nice. what was with the 'Chinese govt' officials speaking Cantonese? i loved the whole Boston thing too.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:15 PM
adam
blue

SPOILERS IN THIS POST! (I copied and pasted this from somewhere else; I had posted it while the forums were mislaid)

I saw it last night. The two people I was with did not like it, which always has such a drastic influence on my experience. That's why I started going to movies I really care about alone.

There were some suspension-of-disbelief points that irked me a tiny bit: SPOILERS AHOY! Like, Matt Damon's final scene with Jack Nicholson...how did they get to be alone there? How did Damon find him? Where were the other cops, and why were they not seeming to react to the shooting? Also, the ending with DiCaprio mailing him the CD and asking him to meet rang false. Why would he do that? Why wouldn't he just present his evidence to Alec Baldwin, say, and let him take care of it? That didn't seem like what his character would do...he wanted out, and designing his own sting operation seemed pointless. You could say he wanted to look him the eye or whatever, but really it was just so they could justify showing the psychiatrist listening to the CD and set up DiCaprio's death. That is, I think plot took a back seat to emotional payoffs...here's Damon alone with Nicholson, Damon alone with DiCaprio, DiCaprio getting killed...I don't think those things would have actually played out like that.

That said, that the realism took a back seat to emotional manipulation, it was marvelous emotional manipulation. I love that rare occasion in films when I really care about whether or not a character gets out of a certain situation, and I feel totally uncertain whether or not they will. That is, usually you know either from the plot or, more broadly, from the type of movie that it is, if the protagonist is going to triumph. I love being wrapped up in a character to the point where I'm on the edge of my seat, and I was.

I also thought they played some of their moments with some nice depth. When she asked him if his vulnerability was genuine, and he said, "I think so," I thought that was a wonderful scene. Also, when he tells her to think about whether or not his suicide threat might be real.

Plus I'm totally infatuated with the psychiatrist.

Some of the dialogue was hilarious, too. "Wanna smoke? What, are you one of those health freaks? Fuck you."

I loved it, I just wish they could have found some ways to work in certain emotional payoffs in ways that I found more believable within the plot and characters.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Sarcasmo
apocalypso

Send a message via Yahoo to Sarcasmo
I was blown away. I fuckin' love Scorsese.
You dodged a massive fucking bullet, man. The really huge Super Mario kind with the eyes on the side, where you had to run and duck into the little divot to avoid shrinking. You did that. You got into that divot, and you're still super sized, and you can break blocks with your face. Now get out there and step on some fucking turtles!!
Old 02-25-2007, 11:19 PM
the mongoose
talks to God

Woohoo, best picture, best director, best editing, and best adapted screenplay Oscars!