Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Mike
born013

Re: New UW song tomorrow: High Contrast ft Tiësto & Underworld - The First Note Is Si
I once bought a latte in Starbucks but it tasted too much like coffee to me.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:44 AM
SappysCurry
can you feel this bass?

Re: New UW song tomorrow: High Contrast ft Tiësto & Underworld - The First Note Is Si
I concur with the other Sappys Curry. I've come to accept Scribble for what it is and will always prefer the original better.

Now on to this...uhm....well, I don't know what the hell this new track is. I think if I heard this in a club I'd be heading to the outdoor patio for a cigarette, and I don't smoke. As I was walking out, I'd say to myself, "Weird, that voice sounds like Karl..." and then I'd be outside.

Barking hasn't settled in well for me, with the exception of a few tracks (Moon in Water first and foremost. LOVE that.) But I figured it was just a "phase" they were going through. Get some big room play to a changing crowd of clubbers who demanded something different in their music...something those of us who are slightly older (and wiser?) did not. Personally, I despise what I'm hearing in clubs overall, but that's another matter altogether.

Hearing this now. I'm beginning to fear for the future of Underworld and if I have any part in it. I love these guys. They have made some of the most thoughtful, emotional, incredible, gorgeous music I have ever heard and it has been a veritable soundtrack to the last 12 years or so of my life. Cliche but true.

But the shit that's being played today is soulless and gutless noise. That's all it is and I fear that Karl, Rick and Darren are getting sucked into the vortex of it. I sincerely hope not.

Jesus, what I wouldn't do for something that even hinted at another Riverrun Project.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:48 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

i don't want to listen to this ever again. Initial reaction/feeling is that I'm watching an MTV showed aimed at 16 yr olds.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:18 AM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

I've always felt that UW have been pretty good at hitting the mark for all electronic genre's. I highly doubt this will be a segue into what we'd all fear as older fans.

For me UW has been highly experimental and creative and I think they will continue in that direction. Right now it seems like they're in a collaborative stage and for what it is, I think Barking was a great album. The funny thing is - my least favourite track is Moon in Water..

So we all have our favourites and least favourites.

Last edited by ultradave; 09-21-2011 at 11:19 AM. Reason: in.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:21 AM
testudo
JunkiesCriminalsFugitives

Location: The international territory and the mighty infamous
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatobroth View Post
i don't want to listen to this ever again. Initial reaction/feeling is that I'm watching an MTV showed aimed at 16 yr olds.
WATCH as Underworld RACE TO THE BOTTOM!

Honestly, I thought they learned/knew (remember 80s) that pure-pop (hyperbole) is not for them. I blame Rick, he has always been the one who wants to get mass appeal.

Reminds me of this post, by the infamous God(in) on the Top 40 and the Grateful Dead

Last edited by testudo; 09-21-2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: added shots
Old 09-21-2011, 06:30 PM
unwound floors
power before passion.

Pretty average, I think. It's fun but disposable. Heh... Tiesto.

In case anybody's interested - I did an interview with London Elektricity last night (I'm a music journalist), and he told me that this is going to be released on his imprint Hospital Recordings in a month or two.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Sappys Curry
mouseman

I really don't think UW are going to latch unto this "Barking sound" for too much longer. They did something different with Barking; in part what was so different was the number of collaborations, and apparently, they still want to do some more collaborations that have a pop sound to them. But I think they will move on from these things for their next album, or even before that if they do a spiritual successor to the River Run releases. Barking has its own unique flavor, but I really don't think they will just "stick to that from now on", or even that much longer.

As for Barking, I was originally underwhelmed by it, although I liked more than half the tracks on it. But I figured I'd like it more if I gave it more time. I was originally underwhelmed by AHDO, but some years later, I found myself liking it a lot more than I did when it first released. I figured the same would happen with Barking and I was right. I now like every song on the album, whereas at first I didn't. I had to warm up to it more. Honestly, I've been listening to Barking quite a lot lately, ever since late August. I like the album, but of the six studio albums (electronic albums) from UW, I'd still rank it last. But at least I came to like it more.

Last edited by Sappys Curry; 09-21-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:57 PM
//\/\/
slogging it out

pony.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:32 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Please remember that this is High Contrast featuring Tiesto/Underworld. Not the other way round. The main songwriter here is High Contrast.It sounds like the beats are High Contrast, some of the melody Tiesto and the vocals from Karl. It is what it is. If you like this sort of thing then good for you. Its a bit too poppy for me but I actually enjoyed it more than Scribble (see my previous comments on Scribble )
Old 09-23-2011, 04:50 AM
Dirty0900
Only £50 a show,book now.

just played on Radio 1.