Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:15 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Re: Live Here Now shows available in Shop
For my money, Rez/Cowgirl on the Oblivion Ball is one of the all-time great performances of that song
Old 12-17-2010, 04:23 AM
froopy seal
amazinglytogetherpinniped

Send a message via ICQ to froopy seal
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
For my money, Rez/Cowgirl on the Oblivion Ball is one of the all-time great performances of that song
Now you got me all the more excited. Does it come anywhere close to Reading '96 (<-- pure, hair-on-the-neck-standing-on-end epicness)?
Old 12-17-2010, 07:59 AM
unwound floors
power before passion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysugarboy View Post
I totally agree - one of my fav live versions! The bit where Rick cuts off all the rythms one by one and then BANG! - hits the melody button - it's an arm-dislocating-punch-the-air moment!
The spoken-word samples are what make it for me. "Bad boy in a red padded elevator..." So good!
Old 12-20-2010, 09:08 PM
swift
suave. swell. swindle.

i found the 14 discs on my doorstep two days ago. when they turned up in the shop i hesitated, because 90 quid is a lot of money and i already owned two of the discs (rotterdam and amsterdam, which i attended)... but i felt iwould be sorry if i did not use this opportunity to have a complete and unique document of a tour...

and i am completely happy now. i decided to listen the concerts chronologically, and i just got at the end of glasgow. which is great.

but i also got curious about the oblivion ball version of rez/cowgirl, which was advocated here as the best version ever. since rez/cowgirl is probably the best song i have ever heard in my life, i could not resist. i listened. before i got through birmingham, glasgow, and two roundhouses, preceding tokyo..

and god damn, it is. jesus christ, i don't know what led rick at that moment, but this version totally elevates the song above what it already was. (dirties: if you do not alrealy own it, buy the japan cd — it is one of three left in the shop, but for this song alone i would have paid the 90 quid).
Old 12-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Troy McClure
I'm the Spoonman

Totally concur with the Oblivion Ball version of Rez/ Cowgirl...

but, the San Diego 10/30/2010 version of Rez/Cowgirl came awfully close in my book....just my 2 cents.

Jason.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:17 PM
lowbit
future pundit

The Oblivion Ball version of Cowgirl / Rez is definitely a different take, with an extended length (16+ minutes instead of the usual 12) and added Spoonman lyrics. I just listened to it back to back with the version played at Reading '96, and while the two are similar in length they take a very different approaches to the song. Reading builds the track up slowly, allowing each element its moment in the sun before the next is eased in and working toward the ultimate crescendo bliss; Oblivion has a more languid, stretched feel, with greater emphasis on the vocals and lyrics.

Though Oblivion is more interesting, I slightly prefer the Reading version for the way it just sort of amplifies what's always been great about hearing Cowgirl / Rez live, but IMHO they're both very much worth a listen.

(Okay, reading this back I now feel like one of those obsessive Deadhead tape fanatics, endlessly comparing the bridge on the July '76 version of Dark Star with the August '78 version or something. Ugh.)
Old 12-20-2010, 10:18 PM
saintrik
temperature drops

Amen!

Rez/Cowgirl San Diego 10/30/10 was a mind blower. Rick and Darren were on fire that night...
Old 12-21-2010, 01:56 AM
froopy seal
amazinglytogetherpinniped

Send a message via ICQ to froopy seal
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbit View Post
The Oblivion Ball version of Cowgirl / Rez is definitely a different take, with an extended length (16+ minutes instead of the usual 12) and added Spoonman lyrics. I just listened to it back to back with the version played at Reading '96, and while the two are similar in length they take a very different approaches to the song. Reading builds the track up slowly, allowing each element its moment in the sun before the next is eased in and working toward the ultimate crescendo bliss; Oblivion has a more languid, stretched feel, with greater emphasis on the vocals and lyrics.

Though Oblivion is more interesting, I slightly prefer the Reading version for the way it just sort of amplifies what's always been great about hearing Cowgirl / Rez live, but IMHO they're both very much worth a listen.
Oh boy, this is gonna be a real treat. Can't wait to come home for Christmas (for all the family business, of course ).
Old 12-21-2010, 01:57 PM
khouri
khondo dweller

I really regret not just buying the lot as soon as they went up in the shop. Now the set is incomplete again. Sigh.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:06 AM
mat
Bypass

I just got the fourteen Live Here Now CD's, great packaging so far, I just miss a box to put them all in.

Anyway, I noticed something: in the Brixton Academy's live (01.11.2008) I have got twice the CD1 in the CD case. Am I the only one with 2 CD1?