Dirty Forums > technique.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2009, 12:18 AM
matt
old man einstein

Re: Championees!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
People don't level the same arguments at the Dutch league... why not?
Probably because I don't have Dutch people telling me how if Ajax or PSV were in the Premiership they'd finish in the top 4 whereas I've lost count of the number of deluded Celtic & Rangers fans who make this same claim. To be honest, I don't think either of the Scottish big two could even guarantee winning the Championship let alone the Premier League.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:32 AM
Rog
the fuckest upest

Quote:
. People don't level the same arguments at the Dutch league... why not?
Oh yes they do, try watching it, it is really dire! so are PSV and Ajax at the moment too.......
Old 05-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Ally
Henreeeeeeeeeecat! :)

Send a message via MSN to Ally
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty0900 View Post
Ally, just a joke mate,
Yeah sorry I took it that way - I should've put a wee face to show, like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty0900 View Post
People can mock all they like about Newcastle going down, but I personally don't care. At this moment in time, it was a dead cert they'd go down. Having roughly 5 managers in one season isn't going to help. Big Sam, Keegan, Kinnear, Chris Houghton and Alan Shearer isn't going to get any organisation going at all. Been like this for the past two seasons.

They need to go down and rebuild. Apparantly, Shearer will sign on and help get something going. I expect for Michael Owen to fuck off is anyone is daft enough to buy him alongside Martis/Jonas G/Bassong/Stephen Taylor as they may want better opposition then Norwich and Coventry. They don't do a pissing Leeds as they have players intact at the moment who are experienced and have youth players who have been there for a while. For once, they may have to call on what they which will be good at Championship level, instead of throwing money at people.

Oh and Mike Ashley? He is part of the blame for them to go down. When fat Freddie Shepherd was there, he may have been a crook, but we never went down.
Yeah as a totally outside observer it's apparent that the club's been rocked and ruined from the inside. It's a shame as Newcastle are a great club who deserve to be at the top of the English game, I'm sure they'll bounce right back up and I hope they find the stability needed to start climbing after that.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Ally

Quote:
Ally: the EPL is swimming in cash (un)fortunately. Thats how it goes.Teams either make loads or lose loads. I think Ranger want a slice of that, but if they do they'll have to see how the League of Wales suffers by having Swansea/Cardiff in the English league (tho obviously not to such an extent) because it would harm Scottish football. A victory is still a victory. You won the league. You still have to beat all the others. The Dutch league has been won by PSV/Ajax (except for a handful of years by Feyenoord) since 1981, until this year when AZ won it. Who won it in 81? AZ. People don't level the same arguments at the Dutch league... why not?
Ideally I'd like to see a wholly British league. If Rangers and Celtic ever get into the Premiership, which doesn't excite me all that greatly, it'd probably do both them and Scottish Football good - I say that because I think fighting for 'best in a country' is better than 'best of the rest' and obviously the prizes would be better. Resources would suddenly be more evenly distributed, although overall revenue would drop for a while. As I alluded to both Old Firm clubs have a fanbase and a global appeal easily as big as Manchester United or Liverpool and given time to adjust and match resource and staff quality, would be fighting it out with them.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Ally

Quote:
The Dutch league has been won by PSV/Ajax (except for a handful of years by Feyenoord) since 1981, until this year when AZ won it. Who won it in 81? AZ. People don't level the same arguments at the Dutch league... why not?
I don't watch any Dutch football but I see what you mean. I'd hazard that in England, Dutch football isn't discussed or observed anywhere near as much as Scottish football, maybe you do get tits from neighbouring countries levelling insults at them though.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:19 AM
matt
old man einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
. As I alluded to both Old Firm clubs have a fanbase and a global appeal easily as big as Manchester United or Liverpool and given time to adjust and match resource and staff quality, would be fighting it out with them.
That argument doesn't hold up as
  1. it's not true (Liverpool & Utd have literally millions of fans all over the world)

2. massive fanbase doesn't necessarily equal massive success on the field (or this season Newcastle would have been fighting it out for a Champions league place, rather than being busy getting relegated)
Old 05-29-2009, 02:26 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
That argument doesn't hold up as
  1. it's not true (Liverpool & Utd have literally millions of fans all over the world)
  2. massive fanbase doesn't necessarily equal massive success on the field (or this season Newcastle would have been fighting it out for a Champions league place, rather than being busy getting relegated)

do NUFC have a massive fan base?

no - in Newcastle yes - but in the world NO, I don't think so, partially because they have not won anything of significance for a few years and world wide fans are fickle for successful teams, but Newcastle are just a locally popular club, like Blackburn Rovers are in Blackburn

anyway the premier league has and will for the foreseeable future, much to MCFC, EFC & AVFC's displeasure, be a four horse race to the title - its not that much better than the SPL in that regard, except the battles elsewhere are more exciting - and the chance to get into the league (via the play off final) is considered the most valuable game in club football...

Clubs are not entering it to win the league but to earn the cash... its a harsh world but thems the facts