Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2013, 02:08 AM
amoe
river

Send a message via ICQ to amoe Send a message via AIM to amoe Send a message via MSN to amoe Send a message via Yahoo to amoe
Synth used for dubnobass era pads
Hi there

I've been re-listening to a lot of the Dubnobass era tracks and am wondering if anyone can identify which synth was used to make the pad sounds?
Particularly I'm thinking of the main sad-sounding synth motif from "Most 'Ospitable", the warm bassy pad surges at for instance 08:16 in "Cowgirl (Irish Pub In Kyoto...)", and the trebly melodic noodling at 06:30 in "Thing in a Book" for instance.

I don't know if these are the same synth but if any gear nerds have any idea, I'd love to hear it...
I've heard that they use the Nord Lead, Yamaha DX7, Juno-106, ARP 2600, but I have no way of telling which is which.

Cheers!
Dave
Old 12-30-2013, 01:52 PM
funkboy3
Just this guy

Re: Synth used for dubnobass era pads
Dave,

I'm afraid I can't answer your question directly, but I can add another possibility to your list:
The OSC OSCar. There's ample info floating around the internet about Underworld's use of it and its virtual cousin, the GForce impOSCar2. (Rick apparently lent his hardware OSCar to the developers to help A/B sounds against to validate their work).

Hope this helps (or at least leads you to some interesting reading).