Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > world.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:30 AM
bryantm3
It's Written In The Book!

Re: Important Message About Sarah Palin
i don't agree with bachmann on a lot, but at least she's not an idiot.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Strangelet
rico suave

I was all keen on giving her a chance, because she's actually politically adept one of the more talented candidates in terms of presidential qualities.

Then she said the reason why she's doing so well is just God's way of validating the feeling He gave her to run for president.

I don't have a problem that she feels God prompted her to run. I do have a serious problem that she remarked as much to the media. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think even Sarah Palin or Huckabee came out and asserted their campaign is by directive from God.

It smells a lot more like politics than it does religious ferver. It's a wink wink, nudge nudge to the christian right: I'm your gal. If God wants me to run then God wants you to vote for me. You don't want to piss off God, do you?

extremely dangerous and completely inappropriate. I hope she tempers that shit quickly.

- Mark Twain

Old 06-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Sean
Where in the world...?

I have to disagree on this leniency being displayed towards Bachmann. She has indeed displayed herself to be an idiot, as well as ragingly dishonest. Most politicians simply spin facts to their benefit, while she avoids facts like the plague. Her Politifact file gives her a rating of 1 "true", 2 "half true", 5 "barely true", 11 "false" and 7 "pants on fire". http://www.politifact.com/personalit...hele-bachmann/

My favorites were: "I find it interesting that it was back in the 1970s that the swine flu broke out then under another Democrat president, Jimmy Carter. And I'm not blaming this on President Obama, I just think it's an interesting coincidence." (it was actually under Ford, a Republican, and of course the implication that any political party caused swine flu is idiotic)

and: "The president released all of the oil from the Strategic Oil Reserve." (it was 4%)
Old 06-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Deckard
issue 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
"I find it interesting that it was back in the 1970s that the swine flu broke out then under another Democrat president, Jimmy Carter. And I'm not blaming this on President Obama, I just think it's an interesting coincidence." (it was actually under Ford, a Republican, and of course the implication that any political party caused swine flu is idiotic)
LOL! Oh boy. You see here, it's not just a mistake, a gaffe, it's not just a matter of getting something wrong. It's the cowardice behind the nudge-nudge wink-wink "I just think it's an interesting coincidence, s'all" type stuff. It's wanting desperately to share her poorly-formed view of the world with someone, but realising she mustn't be too overt about it for fear of it disintegrating in the bright light of rational argument. I'm reluctant to bring another female politician into this, I really am, but it brings to mind Hillary Clinton's "He's not a Muslim... as far as I'm aware" remark during the last election. It's intellectual cowardice, plain and simple.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Deckard
issue 37

Bachmann on hearing of songwriter Melissa Etheridge's cancer:
"Unfortunately she is now suffering from breast cancer, so keep her in your prayers. This may be an opportunity for her now to be open to some spiritual things, now that she is suffering with that physical disease. She is a lesbian... almost all, if not all, individuals who have gone into the lifestyle have been abused at one time in their life, either by a male or by a female."
?!

On homosexuality:
"a very sad life... it's part of Satan, I think, to say that this is gay. It's anything but gay."
I'm not so much offended (in fact I'm not remotely offended) as I am just thoroughly bemused that a grown woman who's reached the heights of American politics still believes in the devil.

It's a little scary.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:17 PM
Deckard
issue 37

Bachmann on why she doesn't agree with the theory of evolution:
"Where do we say that a cell became a blade of grass, which became a starfish, which became a cat, which became a donkey, which became a human being? There's a real lack of evidence from change from actual species to a different type of species. That's where it's difficult to prove."
Lack of evidence? The only thing lacking is scientific education.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Strangelet
rico suave

well put points, sean and deckard. I agree, even when compared to worse options, its important to remember just how bad the not so worse options are.

I'm still for Jon Huntsman Jr. The LDS church has recently instructed all authority members to refrain from any political actions or donations that are done in the name of the church. This when they have two dogs in the race.

Wouldn't it be lovely if the evangelicals had as much self control over their pet world views. I'm hopeful this is a turn around, a mea culpa, an acceptance that you can't outdue the evangelism of the evangelicals, who have done nothing but shovel disdain on the mormons the more the lds church tried to emulate them.

- Mark Twain

Last edited by Strangelet; 06-28-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Deckard
issue 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelet
even when compared to worse options, its important to remember just how bad the not so worse options are.
Yes, I do take that point - as well as Bryant's about her at least not being an idiot. Naturally it's relative. She's a peg up from some. So far she seems more accomplished. More prepared. I suppose a lot of the derision is a response to her catapulting up the news agenda despite past pronouncements that range from ignorant to downright chilling. And while part of that catapulting is the bloodsport of 'Get back in the kitchen' misogyny, there's a large part that's the result of a much more innocent 'Are we going to get our first female President?' - something that's bound to place her under greater scrutiny than the others candidates, as it did with Clinton and (as potential VP) Palin in the last election. Honestly I really wish there was a more credible female candidate. Maybe there is, and they've not reached my radar. I know I was quite scornful of Clinton 3 years ago, largely because Obama seemed at the time to be streets ahead of any President in living memory, and Clinton just seemed determined to sabotage what felt like a very precious moment with her petulence. Yes I know... it's laughable looking back. And a small part of me knew it would be. But the point is - compared to Bachmann and Palin - Clinton is a solid candidate. And as I say, all praise and criticism is relative. Even when it's about Obama. Especially when it's about Obama.

So Huntsman: what chance, do you reckon? (even without the admirable LDS instruction...)

Is it time to split the US in two?
Old 06-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Strangelet
rico suave

Yeah I totally know what you mean about the clinton/obama hindsight problem, and I hope cacophony is around to hear us eat our words so I can reclaim some integrity in the charge of misogyny. Because I too have wondered, since she is the state department, and since the state department is passionately promoting the libya conflict while ignoring any dissent, and since I spent a good chunk of time and money supporting Obama over Clinton, only to find out with the nomination I was voting for the one thing I didn't like about her anyway, the one thing I supported Obama against Clinton most passionately - I have wondered if we shouldn't have gone with Clinton anyway.

Maybe the country would have been better off because she would have been able to traverse the political mine fields more quickly would have been more effective.

Oh well.

Jon Huntsman has a good chance in the sense that he will be the least embarrasing and self sabotaging. Sometimes I think all you have to do is breathe, look good on TV, and remember the name of the president of France and you'll look like God's gift to the oval office this time around.

- Mark Twain

Old 06-28-2011, 07:16 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelet View Post
Maybe the country would have been better off because she would have been able to traverse the political mine fields more quickly would have been more effective.
That's funny. How so?