Am I the only one who didn't know?
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...-orders-demise
Old 05-05-2007, 06:45 AM
dubnobasswithme
koob!

Re: RIP New Order?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crank
yeah, i saw this yesterday. i think that i'll wait to believe this until i hear it from bernard or at least in a more formal announcement!

uw0006
Old 05-05-2007, 08:03 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

I don't know about this one...

I mean - I remember reading something to that effect a while back, like after they played a gig in South America. I was soooooo pissed, b/c I've never been able to see them live, as well - they've done like maybe 12 shows in the US over the past 12 years? (and basically just on the coasts)

but then - a few days later, Hooky took it back

I can't imagine that they'd 'break up' just before the Ian Curtis movie comes out... which - they (NO) seem to keep going back & forth about wether or not it'll be a good film (and their influence on it)

that all being said.

sure it would've been great to hear some of the older songs played live (and completely ruined) but on the other hand, I pretty much disliked the majority of "Waiting for the Siren's Call"

and three albums in ~12 years - two of which weren't that great (Republic + Waiting...) ... I mean... maybe it's not that bad if they really have broken up?
Old 05-05-2007, 08:22 AM
undarrenworld
bungalow

Im sad if its true
Old 05-05-2007, 10:31 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

the bottom line is Bernard doesn't want to tour and doesn't get along with Hooky. they both want to be the top banana, a conflict that reaches way back to the early days of New Order. it's for the best really. their stage show is 1 step removed from Vegas act and their last album was as close to a masterpiece as they'll ever get. there are a handfull of additional tracks they recorded for the Sirens Call sessions, plus a live session they recorded for iTunes that never got released, the Joy Division tracks they recorded for the Control soundtrack, Joy Division Reissues etc. New Order are my fav. band without a doubt and i'm not sad to see them split. i wouldn't bet against them reforming or working together in the future but another tour is def. out of the question. Bernard sucks live, there's no way around it and he doesn't enjoy it. Hooky, on the other hand, thrives on stage. Viva Hooky! and good for Bernard for donating his time and energy to help needy kids in Salford/MCR.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:50 AM
joethelion
needing Diet Mountain Dew

BLD - yea, I'd say that pretty much explains the whole situation perfectly.

when I finally got around to really 'appreciating' NO - I started collecting live bootlegs & recordings...

...and then swiftly stopped. I mean, it's one thing if a band goes onstage a bit drunk & whatnot... but Bernard was basically just unprofessional. What's funny, is that I don't think he ever really liked playing live - beyond having some sort of perverse entertainment in singing / performing worse than the night before

just an example; changing the lyrics to "the Perfect Kiss" to "I got a cock bigger than the M1" (or something to that effect)... or basically yelping the lyrics to Atmosphere w/ additional "Whooo"s added (on recent tours)
Old 05-05-2007, 02:43 PM
mmm skyscraper
fac123

It's 1993 all over again

Bring on Blue Monday '07
Old 05-07-2007, 11:37 AM
big screen satellite
Still Number 1

well - at least we still have their recorded musical legacy - which is much more important than their dodgy tours / live shows - although i did like seeing them live, if not for the fun of seeing Barney try and dance and 'ruin' many a good melody

i'd never say never on this issue, but for the medium term i'd agree this is probably a good as any point to stop, i mean they have been through a lot over the past 30 odd years... take a break lads enjoy your earnings from that multi million selling 12"

(oh hang on... what do you mean it cost you money???....)

now where'd we park that tour bus?
Old 05-07-2007, 12:18 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Making up sex is always the best. Metaphorical application with this senario.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Scott Warner
delicious candy taster

Send a message via AIM to Scott Warner
Good time for them to do it. They were going out with a whimper. Arguably they should have parted post 'Technique'.