Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > static.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:39 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Re: fucking itunes blew away all my music
you deleted your music by using command line without know wtf you were doing. iTunes doesn't just delete shit. You were wrong in your syntax or steps. iTunes is the best media organizer/player available . You cannot name a better one. Since you're such a power user, i'm sure you had your music backed up anyway, so no big loss right?
Old 11-30-2010, 01:58 PM
froopy seal
amazinglytogetherpinniped

Send a message via ICQ to froopy seal
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherLovesDub View Post
You cannot name a better one.
But I can, even multiply so: J.River Media Jukebox, Guayadeque, Rhythmbox, Amarok, Winamp... In fact, name any player with basic library functions that doesn't forcibly reorganise your music collection in a shitty way, and you have a 'better one'.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:13 PM
bas_I_am
vision

Quote:
you deleted your music by using command line without know wtf you were doing. iTunes doesn't just delete shit. You were wrong in your syntax or steps. iTunes is the best media organizer/player available . You cannot name a better one. Since you're such a power user, i'm sure you had your music backed up anyway, so no big loss right?
Hey asshole. . . fuck off. . my syntax was exact. Trust me. . I tested my command line before executing it. I watched it work in a test scenario with a couple of folders before I pointed it at my real library. And it worked appropriately. . . first I manually copied some folders from my library into the add to itunes folder, and it imported the folders just fine. Then I tested my command line against a temp folder and watched it work fine. Then I pointed the command line at my main library, I watched the folders move from one folder to the "Automatically Add To iTunes Folder" . . . and then watched as ITunes deleted them . .

It got in a state where it would delete them even if I manually copied to the folder (my intial test).

No. . I dont have my music backed up. . I only back up system state and my active directory. I've never had a drive fail in a manner that I couldn't get my data out of it.

I expected iTunes to work.

I am kicking myself in the ass because I forgot about winamp.

crApple sux as does shItunes

Last edited by bas_I_am; 11-30-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:36 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by froopy seal View Post
But I can, even multiply so: J.River Media Jukebox, Guayadeque, Rhythmbox, Amarok, Winamp... In fact, name any player with basic library functions that doesn't forcibly reorganise your music collection in a shitty way, and you have a 'better one'.
You have to check Keep Music Folder Organized for it to reorganize your music. User error again. If you don't want iTunes to organize your files, you don't have to.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:39 PM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

Rhythmbox is an iTunes clone "inspired by iTunes" as they say on their website.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:40 PM
bas_I_am
vision

shiTunes does a half assed job organizing files. . . half of the tracks I moved from my ipod were not renamed according to their tags.

Winamp plugin did it perfectly.
Now to clean crapples shit out of my machine.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:58 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas_I_am View Post
No. . I dont have my music backed up. . I only back up system state and my active directory. I've never had a drive fail in a manner that I couldn't get my data out of it.
Wow, that sounds incredibly dangerous. I've had several drives fail in manners where the data was unrecoverable, even by DriveSavers.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:51 AM
bas_I_am
vision

ive got raid on my important stuff
Old 12-01-2010, 05:53 AM
bas_I_am
vision

and just checked the drive that siTunes had an error writing to. nothing wrong with it.

I guess crapples developers don't know how to properly implement asynchronous IO.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:18 AM
froopy seal
amazinglytogetherpinniped

Send a message via ICQ to froopy seal
Quote:
You have to check Keep Music Folder Organized for it to reorganize your music. User error again. If you don't want iTunes to organize your files, you don't have to.
I have to admit, the last time I tried iTunes was a few years back. Now, since I'm not adept at it, I always have trouble finding things when I use it on other people's machines. Just don't find it intuitive (which might be different for Mac users).

Quote:
half of the tracks I moved from my ipod were not renamed according to their tags.
That's one of the things meant: Last time I had a look at it, the synchronizing/copying from iTunes to iPod resulted in a massive disorganisation, which prevented me from finding certain music files on the iPod.

For clarification: I accept that Apple makes decent products - hardware as well as software - which 'just works'. Great for people who want that and nothing more. But for me as someone who likes to have control over small details of organisation, files and software, Apple usually is too restricting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
Wow, that sounds incredibly dangerous. I've had several drives fail in manners where the data was unrecoverable, even by DriveSavers.
Totally agree. Same here. Luckily, mostly unimportant data was concerned. It was a shock, however, and made me reconsider my backup strategies regarding important data. Still haven't found the ultimate solution but my personal stuff is quite safe.

Quote:
ive got raid on my important stuff
RAID 1 (or 10), I hope?