Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2009, 01:45 AM
ultradave
the doorway boy...

Re: Five Points; Whatever happened to this one
This track is one my faves as well. It would definitely blend in well with some of their current work. Who knows...
Old 06-23-2009, 10:19 AM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Deeper - Orbital

&

Drum Attack #9

Last edited by jOHN rODRIGUEZ; 06-23-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Champiness
Once again the superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
what's shaping up for the sixth album? i haven't heard anything.
Ahem...
Old 06-27-2009, 02:04 PM
undarrenworld
bungalow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champiness View Post
And Five points seems to fit right in with some of the newer material they seem to be leaning towards for UW6 (as I have dubbed it). If I hadn't heard live performances of it from 1999 and they played it in one of their sets today I would have easily associated it with something like YDS or Bamboo. I once listened to an interview the Chemical Brothers did in which they talked about how sometimes they make a track that they really like in the sessions for a new album, but how they just don't see it in the context of the album, alongside material it isn't all that much like. So they'd shelf it for a while, and come back to it when they felt they were working on an album it fit with. Maybe they'd look upon it with new eyes and do a new take, but they never thought of an unreleased demo as unsuccessful, just not ready for audiences yet. The gradual development of demos over the years that we've seen with Underworld leads me to believe they think the same thing.

Very well said
Old 08-03-2010, 06:25 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Sorry for the hellbump but does anyone have a recording of this? It's kind of like a "holy grail" of rare UW tracks and one of the few I can't find anywhere....I really tried so ridiculously hard to find it, but alas it was not available Any help??
Old 08-03-2010, 09:12 AM
stimpee
Administrator

Five Points was part of the 1998/1999 tour. Its available on the RTSR ftp. If you do a search on the five points song on the song database at rowla, and then login to the ftp and go to that gig you'll find it. It was played at the Ahoy, rotterdam in 1998 for example. Personally I prefer Cappe Ffuno, but its a nice jam, quite basic.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:42 PM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
Personally I prefer Cappe Ffuno, but its a nice jam, quite basic.
You and me both! Five Points is enjoyable, but i don't think it's the best unfinished track they've not released. Whereas the Cappe Ffuno passage is absolutely jamming! If they ever mixed that in with the latter part of Cups, it'd be technoheaven.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:22 AM
Lx_Nen
Romford no more

Underworld's working process seems to involve a lot of 'throw 90% of it away and try something radical', do this a few times and it's almost impossible so hear where an ide went. It's almost impossible to hear how (for example) Phonestrap 1 is in any way related to Phonestrap 6, especially if you haven't heard Phonestraps 2-5.

My guess is that 'five points' did become something, but it's so far removed from the original that we don't recognise it. King of snake might be a contender, some of the 'five points' lyrics recently turned up in the iTunes festival version.

Personally, I love the unreleased snippet 'groove with strings' - it's got such an uplifting vibe. If you concentrate on the high strings, perhaps you'll agree with my guess that perhaps it eventually became Kittens?
Old 08-04-2010, 06:30 AM
potatobroth
bungalow

I have a playlist on my ipod that consists of all 5-Points versions. Love it.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:33 AM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
Five Points was part of the 1998/1999 tour. Its available on the RTSR ftp. If you do a search on the five points song on the song database at rowla, and then login to the ftp and go to that gig you'll find it. It was played at the Ahoy, rotterdam in 1998 for example. Personally I prefer Cappe Ffuno, but its a nice jam, quite basic.
I kind of feel the same way, I wonder whatever happened to that track, was it ever played outside of that performance? I mean it's clearly unfinished but I really liked it. For that matter I wonder what happened to that KoS jam in the same show. It was practically a whole new track. I really liked that and hoped they would release like a 20 minute KoS but it never happened.