Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:44 AM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

Re: O2 Wireless in London
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd View Post
Well... outside in the dark visuals would work. But this moms 'n pops festival was at midday!
You're just jealous cos you weren't there - ner ner ner ner ner ner
Old 07-06-2008, 12:19 PM
suicidalpenguin
Dubnobassinmyshed

Have to say marks out of 10 for Wireless - bout 1.5
festival itself was great but why on earth were underworld in a tent which was far too small.
Whoever suggested 8-9000 people in the tent was talking rubbish, looked as if it could hold 4000 max. The tent was far too small, and nothing compared to some at other festivals. Even if it could hold 8-9000 this is still too small considering the vast majority of people were coming to see Underworld & Fatboy slim & there were NO other stages!
I saw one poor girl getting trampled just before they got on stage, by which point security had given up. I gave up after 15 minutes as although Underworld sounded great I could not be bothered with fighting my way in and being severely crushed for 60 odd minutes.
At the same time some band no one had heard of were on the main stage - Great festival planning!
Laptop slim as he will now be known as was poor and he spent most of the time walking round the stage grinning like a cheshire cat whilst his trusty laptop churned out the tunes. Not suprised he was smiling, probably thinking about the fat boy paycheck he has coming to him for that piece of work. When he did some mixing, it wasn't great either - think he'd
Basically, Underworld should have been in a bigger tent (let alone on first stage instead of a band no one knew). Ironically Laptop slim would have been better suited to the tent environment.
Sorry for the rant but still fuming after a day -
I'll catch UW next time but still absolutely gutted
Old 07-06-2008, 12:20 PM
suicidalpenguin
Dubnobassinmyshed

sorry so busy ranting, i accidently posted twice
Old 07-06-2008, 12:34 PM
BeautifulBurnout
MadMinistrator

I'll delete one of em

I agree that the tent capacity was about 4-5000 but I seriously reckon there were at least 2-3000 trying to get in when it was already full to bursting point.

And as for FBS, it was such an anti-climax after the banging UW set. Huge great big stage, little bloke and laptop at desk shaking his arms about from time to time and putting on his headphone now and again to look like he was cueing something up. No entertainment value at all, frankly. He has lost his edge, no doubt about it.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:50 PM
suicidalpenguin
Dubnobassinmyshed

Thanks

Will just have to look forward to the next show they do - hopefully it will be before Wireless next year

They did sound good from outside though
Old 07-06-2008, 01:23 PM
whatmakesustick

Sorry for 'talking rubbish'....i must have counted some of the heads in the crowd twice - I'll be more careful next time before posting. My estimate was 7 to 8 thought, not 8 to 9.....

Obviously you did not have a great night and I'm sorry for that, I guess festival gigs can be a bit hit and miss. I remember a few years ago seeing them at Global Gathering on the main stage and that was poor - the sound was not good, the lights did not match the sound and the atmosphere was not that great and I missed the beginning because of the huge queue outside. But when its not an Underworld gig, things are more unpredictable.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:21 PM
crazysugarboy
pants

(currently listening to the amazing "pg" at the 1996 gig posted by phaseblue)

Anyways, been reading this thread with interest as I was meant to be there, but thanks to a mega bug I was in bed . I was very dissapointed at not going cos I just love the whole music fest experience and I wanted to meet up again with Janie and the other dirts - however, the rammed condition of the tent sounds horrendous - that is something I really cannot handle. Plus, I agree with...err...re Global Gathering - a humungously long queue for the police search and then a very poor sound. But hey ho, it's not always alright on the night. Let's hope for sunny weather, cool sound, and space to breath at creamfields
Old 07-06-2008, 02:28 PM
super-saint
river

Agree with most pionts on here.

I was about 1/2 way back about an hour before UW took the stage & even at that point you could hardly move but with everyone else pushing through it became unbearable...me & my mate eventually gave up & stood at the very back & even then there was far from enough room,

Gotta disagree with most about Norman though...I thought his set was great - when he dropped 'Jump Around', the audience went mental

5 out of 10 from me
Old 07-07-2008, 12:49 AM
suicidalpenguin
Dubnobassinmyshed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatmakesustick View Post
Sorry for 'talking rubbish'....i must have counted some of the heads in the crowd twice - I'll be more careful next time before posting. My estimate was 7 to 8 thought, not 8 to 9.....

Obviously you did not have a great night and I'm sorry for that, I guess festival gigs can be a bit hit and miss. I remember a few years ago seeing them at Global Gathering on the main stage and that was poor - the sound was not good, the lights did not match the sound and the atmosphere was not that great and I missed the beginning because of the huge queue outside. But when its not an Underworld gig, things are more unpredictable.
Sorry, I could probably have phrased that better & like most things, only realised once i'd posted it (twice). - did not mean anything by it, unfortunately was still wound up by it all & needed to vent somewhere.
Calmed down a bit now though but I agree unfortunately thats the way it goes sometimes.
I was at the GG gig too - queued for 4 and half hours but got in 3 mins before UW got on stage so I guess sometimes, its just luck.
What irritated me was that it just appeared to be a monumentous cockup on behalf of the organisers to have such a small tent for, lets be honest - joint headliners. When most people were there to see two acts, which did not clash timings-wise they at the very least should have have had in bigger arena to accomodate the thousands outside.
Anyway, never mind, look forward to the next one & apologies to whatmakesustick
Old 07-07-2008, 02:00 AM
dirty050505
mouseman

Pretty good set I thought. Took about 10 minutes just to get in the tent but thought there was more room to dance about compared to wild in the country last year. Was hoping to hear Parc and Ring Road but thats the way it goes at festival shows. Nice little improv between Crocodile and Spoonman had not heard before. Most up-for-it crowd i've seen them play to well done everyone that was there had a great time!