Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:05 AM
Leon
bungalow

Re: Shoegaze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
of newer stuff autolux's 'future perfect' is brilliant and everyone who i've introduced to it can't understand why they aren't big and the pains of being pure of heart debut lp is good too although at the poppier end of the spectrum
A friend of mine told me about them, i'm gonna check it out. I think I've heard 1 or 2 tracks and it sounded really good. And the not understanding why they aren't big... same applies with Working For A Nuclear Free City in my opinion.

Anyway, a suggestion of my own... I actually kind of forgot about it, but Guitar's "Sunkissed" album has a definite shoegaze feel to it. It's not brilliant and you might not like her voice, but I think the songs are pretty good. In any case, the track Sunkissed (which I heard on Dirtyradio some years back) is amazing. "Feel Flows Free" and "How So Bright Of Universe" are pretty sweet as well.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:09 AM
Flywaver
vision

Without a doubt Curve were a top band.
Check out The Big Pink. Debut album out now
Old 10-06-2009, 11:05 AM
Future Proof
Richard Simmons

I <3 shoegaze, enormously. There's something about the hazy, whirling sounds that really do it for (to) me.

Many of the recommendations in this thread are ace, and I've got a few bands not listed here that are can't-miss acts. But I'll just list CDs and for the harder to find ones, some links to songs to see if you wanna track down the CD or not:

Lush - Gala
Lush - Spooky
Lush - Split
Ulrich Schnauss - his whole body of work

Airiel - The Battle Of Sealand

Love Spirals Downwards - Ardor
http://www.imeem.com/people/IhvHhO/m...ression-glass/

Serena Maneesh - Serena Maneesh
http://lala.com/z7Br

Catherine Wheel - Ferment

Love Spirals Downwards and Serena Maneesh have been big in my rotation lately. The former is almost a bit too mellow and new-agey to be considered shoegaze but their guitarist is amazing and the singer is absolutely ethereal, and pretty much all of their tunes are hugely epic sounding. Serena Maneesh is a newer shoegaze band and I love their self-titled album because most of the songs aren't blurry from start to finish but rather, they start off very focused and then nail you with a wall of guitar, to dramatic effect.

Anyways, hope you find something you like, check back in and let us know what you've found!
Old 10-06-2009, 01:47 PM
stimpee
Administrator

BrotherLovesDub/Biznotic will be along im sure, and Professor loves the shoegaze too AFAIK.

Me? i experienced all that first hand when it came out and loved it. All the introspection

Just where is that MBV box set anyway?

Memory is faded.

I loved the album Erotica by The Darling Buds. poppy shoegaze but excellent stuff. You can tell theyve been listening to Loveless
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erotica..._Buds_album%29
Old 10-06-2009, 02:31 PM
stimpee
Administrator

mmmm had some time to think. bands? Revolver, Drop, Chapterhouse, Moose, Moscow Olympics, Jesus & Marychain, Slowdive, Curve, Lush, Cocteau Twins, Doves, Bark Psychosis, (early) Verve, Bowery Electric, Catherine Wheel, The Werefrogs, Submarine, The Belltower just to name a few.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:21 AM
crank
I'm a big sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Proof View Post
I <3 shoegaze, enormously. There's something about the hazy, whirling sounds that really do it for (to) me.

Catherine Wheel - Ferment

Anyways, hope you find something you like, check back in and let us know what you've found!
No idea how i forgot about these guys... Chrome is a good one too, but more guitary.

Ferment was crucial to my listening experience back when it came out in 89(?) 90(?)
Old 10-07-2009, 12:08 PM
jOHN rODRIGUEZ
SystematicallyDisadsomthg

Please refer to my song of the day, today's date.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:34 AM
Tiger
Freaknik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpee View Post
(early) Verve, Catherine Wheel
as i've said on here before verve's first 3 eps and before they had to add the to their name were works of sonic genius. the 8 minute version of garvity grave is a pyschedlic monster.

loved catherine wheel as a kid, going to try and dig out chrome tonight if i an find it, haven't heard that in years.

one band that hasn't been mentioned is adorable, while not of the same quality their 1st 3 eps were brilliant pop shoegazing records
You take the piss again and i'll remove your iPod from its tiny nano-sheath and push it up your cock. Then i'll put some speakers up your arse and put it on shuffle every time i hear something i don't like - which will be every time that something comes on - i will skip to the next track by crushing your balls.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Jafs
Tells

Just discovering a beautiful album recommended by my official shoegaze dealer:

Chapterhouse - Whirlpool

stimpee named them already.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:18 PM
stimpee
Administrator

Everything that Verve did from 1992-1994 is just epic. I wish they'd get their radio sessions released, especially the Peel session from 1992 and the Hit The North session. I have some badly recorded from radio at the time and they dont sound so good. I think theres an unreleased track on there somewhere.