Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > headset.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:27 PM
adam
blue

Plaid - Double Figure
I'm in love with this album.

I found out about Plaid at a Squarepusher show. They were opening for him years and years ago in Vancouver. We were outside the venue, lined up and stoked, when they came out and told us Squarepusher didn't make his flight, and we could get a full refund or a partial refund and still see Plaid.

We weren't sure what we wanted to do, so me and my two friends ate the pot cookies we had brought and went over to a nearby pub to have a couple of beers and discuss what we should do for the night. I had heard good things about Plaid, and we ended up deciding to check them out. We went back to the venue as the cookies got on top of us.

We pushed our way to the center of the floor and I think all three of us stood motionless for the entire set, mesmerized. They had a big screen with things like loops of birds flying and the cookies were very intense and the show was just marvelous. I was spellbound.

So, I have Double Figure on vinyl, but for many months I was going to sell my turntables, and I didn't have them hooked up. I recently set them up again, and regained access to that album.

I'm in love, as I said. This album, has, for me, aged so well. Whereas some of the Warp kin sounds quite dated, and, in fact, as does some of their other work, this album still sounds incredibly fresh to me. Wonderful, lush, sweet little sounds. Go listen to it.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:22 PM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Re: Plaid - Double Figure
i sold it because i thought it was painfully boring. like it was purposefully trying to counter the excess of glitchery and noise that the warp regulars were spewing out by making a normal, well-written album. unfortunately it had no energy and little to redeem itself past just sitting there, existing, helping and harming no one.
imo.

except i couldn't sell it because i left it laying around so much it got all scratched up.

fortunately i rescued zamami along with a couple other ones and saved it to my computer because that one is really REALLY beautiful
Old 10-07-2006, 09:42 PM
kid cue
ryooong

i thought they were totally boring live, but i love their best-of album, whatever it's called. there are moments on Rest Proof Clockwork that i find nostalgic to listen to, but the music seems pretty hollow at the end of the day. to me.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:38 AM
adam
blue

hollow? that strikes me as an odd sentiment. can't really argue against it, but i certainly don't think of it in those terms.

as for the boredom factor, i've seen them more than once, and i did think they were boring on one occasion. i would like to think they were other factors than the pot cookies, but i'd be pretty foolish to claim so with any certainty. the sound certainly was better the first time, and i liked the album they were touring for then better as well.

plus, the less interesting time, they played with Chris Clarke, who sort of blew everyone else out of the water. i should pick up his new album....
Old 10-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Eikman
a life less extraordinary

"double figure" left me rather cold, but there is some great stuff on their earlier albums (especially "rest proof clockwork"). i guess it is rather cool when you're stoned tho....

Old 10-11-2006, 07:11 PM
DeJackyl
mouseman

I own all the plaid on vinyl except Parts in the post, but it goes

Not for Threes
Spokes
Rest Proof Clockwork
Ep
Double Figure
Trainer

They do have a bit of that St. Germain accessability issue about them for some of their earlier work, but I am a guy who revels in melancholly tinged music and they do it as good as any other.

Their live shows are gold purly for the Bob visuals, met the chaps at a small show in Hamilton that was quite nice for the atmosphere. Saw the Clark tour where he opened up as well, and well it is true that he just owns.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:54 PM
adam
blue

The song New Family is the one that rocks my world. I wouldn't describe them as melancholic, myself, but I understand what you mean.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:33 PM
mmm skyscraper
fac123

Plaid did the soundtrack for Tekkon Kinkreet, an anime film by Studio 4ÂșC.

Trailer:

International release in May.