Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > moments.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:51 PM
Lx_Nen
Romford no more

2015-03-05 Bristol - Hyde and Price
A quick gig report... Sad to see only Pricey and the boy Hyde on stage tonight, Rick being too ill to perform. Get well soon, Mr Smith!

Set list as expected, the album and 3 extra tracks, no surprises or improvs, seemed a little quieter than most gigs, and the crowd wanted things to go on longer, the whole show was about 1h 55m.

A good night, we danced hard and threw our hands in the air at the right points, but it wasn't quite the same without the Welsh wizard... Especially as we were nearly in Wales.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:29 AM
markreed
mouseman

Re: 2015-03-05 Bristol - Hyde and Price
I hope Rick's alright. But my feeling has always been that, if Rick's not there, it's not Underworld. I imagine it must have been strange to see Darren 'playing' Rez alone on stage, if he did it the same way that it was at RFH.

It's not the first time :

Here's a bit of last night that went on You Tube, and sounds awful (bad phone, I imagine!) :

It would be a bit shitty if Darren and Karl came on with no explanation : I'd feel cheated without knowing before they took the stage, to be honest. I understand if they've made it all the way to St Petersburg in Russia, and Rick fell ill there.

I don't buy Price & Hyde as Underworld. It would be like seeing a Smiths gig with someone who isn't Johnny Marr on guitar.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:07 AM
DoctorRad
mouseman

It was great to be down at the front instead of on the balcony at RFH, but I was a little disappointed that they didn't play more material. And why on earth are they not playing Spikee? It's a masterpiece!
Old 03-06-2015, 08:24 AM
BishBash
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRad View Post
It was great to be down at the front instead of on the balcony at RFH, but I was a little disappointed that they didn't play more material. And why on earth are they not playing Spikee? It's a masterpiece!
Spikee indeed. BIrdstar would be good too. Was there a support act?
Old 03-06-2015, 08:32 AM
BishBash
mouseman

I should probably add...Hello!
Long time UW fan here, since the first time I heard Cowgirl on Annie Nightingale's show in the early 90's. Seen em live a bunch of times (including John Peel, Maida Vale 2003). Off to Hammersmith tonight.
I phoned the Apollo, about times/support. They said: Support on at 8 but we don't know who it is. Interval at 8.30. Then UW from 9- 11.

In my expericence the support is often a DJ. But that would be weird to have a DJ from 8 til 8.30, then an interval (when um, music would be played over the PA) before UW at 9pm. Anyone know more than me?
Old 03-06-2015, 08:34 AM
Lx_Nen
Romford no more

To clarify, after a couple of tracks, Karl explained why "his brother" wasn't there, and it sounds like Rick just has a bit of flu rather than anything life-threatening.

Rez was indeed a bit odd as a Price solo track, it was still a crowd pleasing stormer. The arrangement was probably even closer to the vinyl version than it was at the Royal Festival Hall, but the PA was struggling to drown out the crowd noise (at least at the front of the stage) and without hearing two nights in a row, it was impossible to tell how much of the show (apart from guitar & vocals of course) is actually being 'performed' and how much is just a case of 'pressing play'... partly because Darren Price is really good at making sure the show runs smoothly and apparently effortlessly. Minneapolis and Nu Train would have had to be Price solos too, which I suspect is why they didn't get played.

The RFH gig, with it's one-off status, major technical hitch, Rick starting the wrong track, and surprises like Big Mouth and Minneapolis and (semi) unsuspected outing for Born Slippy at the end was a seriously amazing night... Bristol by comparison was only really, really good.

Anyway, here's a few gig photos from my iPhone - for the gear-heads on there, I think this is the first time for a long while I've not seen any iMacs on stage?

Old 03-06-2015, 08:54 AM
Spooky Shoes
Sole Man

I was hoping for Spikee but there was no Minneapolis either, possibly due to Ricks absence (Get well soon btw). I got the impression Karl was missing Rick most notably during M.E.

The overall vibe seemed a bit muted compare to RFH, people were actually seated for the duration.

Not disappointed though, it was a good night.

Cowgirl... (Video still processing at time of post)

Dark & Long to follow.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:41 AM
BishBash
mouseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky Shoes View Post
The overall vibe seemed a bit muted compare to RFH, people were actually seated for the duration.
And the support act was?...
Old 03-06-2015, 10:52 AM
Spooky Shoes
Sole Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishBash View Post
And the support act was?...
I don't know who it was as I was not there at that time, but I can direct you to the information about what it was...

https://www.facebook.com/underworldlive?fref=ts
Old 03-06-2015, 11:08 AM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

I heard that is was Steve Hall of JBO doing the support DJ'ing.