Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > treatment.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Skie
river

Re: Star Trek XI
Wrath of Kahn, Voyage Home, and Undiscovered Country were the best of the Star Trek films. I preferred the TNG series, but the only TNG film I'd rewatch is First Contact. I haven't seen Nemesis, but it sounds like it was another lack-luster TNG film..?
Old 01-23-2008, 06:00 PM
kid cue
ryooong

i'd be happy with just-above TV budgets if they'd use them on a DS9 film
Old 11-18-2008, 03:21 AM
Jafs
Tells

First "real" trailer is now online:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/startrek/

Will this be the first really entertaining (not only I hope) ST movie ? It seems well started...
Old 11-18-2008, 05:26 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

well it certainly looks action packed. Still I think it all depends on how the characters are developed. Not sure what they're doing with young Spock for instance. The trailer has him looking quite...emotional. Isn't he supposed to have no emotions?
Old 11-18-2008, 06:22 AM
myrrh
a small-minded madman

It looks like it may have potential, depending on the story etc. I am more interested in seeing Earth because that is something that we never really in the old ones.

But to be honest, I don't think it is going to touch Battlestar Galactica, which right now is probably the best Sci-Fi out there. I am totally hooked on it, and I think it blows the whole Star Trek storyline out of the water.

Of course, this will all change when the Star Wars TV show stars. Even still, after watching BG, they have a high standard to match.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:37 AM
holden
collateral damage

Send a message via MSN to holden
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Snake View Post
Not sure what they're doing with young Spock for instance. The trailer has him looking quite...emotional. Isn't he supposed to have no emotions?
i think he was half-Vulcan, half-human, so it's probably a daily struggle for him to stay "logical"
Old 11-18-2008, 06:51 AM
Jan
vision

Most Star Trek movies have been great... First Contact is one of my favourite movies of all time.
But this looks more like a mindless action movie than a Star Trek movie. Of course, action is very important for Star Trek, but characterization, humor, dialoge and plot always had priority... First Contact was perfect in this regard.

However XI will suck... telling from the trailer, the major themes are ridiculous: "You can get it if you really want"? Spock's Human-Vulcan conflict? As if we hadn't seen those before... Even JJ Abrams admitted that it will be a action movie for the masses.
The bad CGI and the 'modern blueish' look that already destroyed DH4 won't help either...
And then this guy at the end of the trailer proclaims "the wait is over!"... This is even worse than the fucking CGI-mole that opened Indiana Jones 4.

I'm going to see it, but I'll expect nothing so I can't be disappointed.
uw#0523
Old 11-18-2008, 09:47 AM
Jafs
Tells

I just take trailers for what they are. This one is, like others, made to bring people in theaters.

Nemesis was already more on action (if I remember well...), but was empty of everything. I thing no one wants that.

You're right about First Contact, that's a good movie, and maybe the best from ST, but there was this little something missing to make it "a great movie". But if I'm right, this is the only movie speaking about the discovery of human going distortion . That's a very good point !
Old 11-18-2008, 10:45 AM
King of Snake
smoking on the airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrrh View Post
But to be honest, I don't think it is going to touch Battlestar Galactica, which right now is probably the best Sci-Fi out there. I am totally hooked on it, and I think it blows the whole Star Trek storyline out of the water.
+10000

have been rewatching BG for the past couple of months, almost at the end of S3 now and very much looking forward to season 4!
Old 11-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Jafs
Tells

I can't do nothing but agree about BSG Seen that the 4th season will come in 2 packs, THIS is not so great.

But hey, stay realist, how can a stand alone movie can beat a series so well constructed than BSG