Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:02 PM
34958hq439-qjw9v5jq298v5j
blue

Big Sister Appreciation Station
Lately for the last week or so I've gotten into this sort of ritual. Before I go to bed I put on Riverrun 3 ("I'm a Big Sister...") and after Mowed Path, switch off the lights and fall asleep. It's such relaxing music! When I'm awake, everytime I listen to the second half ("Showlder"/"Wedge") I always kind of feel like I'm in a trance or something. This is the kind of music where I can't think straight if it's playing. It's kind of like being high I just love the keyboard tones on these songs. They sound like they come from another world. I gotta say, if the Riverrun project is going to result in more stuff like this, bring it onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!

Come on who agrees!?
Old 04-29-2008, 10:24 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

Re: Big Sister Appreciation Station
I gave it to my co-worker, along with Ansum, Thing in a Book, and 215 Miles for him to listen to on his iPod with waterproof case while he's paddling out to surf. He says they're perfect for just chilling out on the ocean.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:58 PM
gillenium

Big Sister is a release that came along at a turning point in my life as an Underworld fan. Before AHDO, I knew Underworld only as a dance-hit band with weird lyrics. After AHDO, I really started to take notice, learned more about Karl and Rick, appreciated their music. The first two Riverruns really piqued my interest, but I'm a Big Sister was the first Underworld release I was really really dying to hear. I transfered it to my mp3 player and listened in bed in complete darkness.

After entering what could only be called a 30-minute ambient trance state, I snapped back to consciousness and said "Emerson be damned," and I've been in love with the band ever since. Peachtree will always hold a special place with me.

I listened to OBW the same way last year (although I added my strobe light to the darkness) and I plan on doing the same for every upcoming Underworld release.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:58 AM
Bargo
pants

Big Sister is my #1 listened-to track on last.fm, which is quite an achievement given that it's almost thirty minutes long. I think that, as a whole, it's one of the best things they've written in a long time, and once I start listening I can't stop until the very end. The way it ends with that refrain from the Breaking and Entering soundtrack is just beautiful. Oh, and when that wonderful "these are the weeds.. that live in the cracks.. at the back of the world" sample comes in, it's just sublime. In fact I think I'm going to have to listen to it again now.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:47 AM
jose m
pants

i'm in full agreement.underworld have been doing this stuff for years and its often overlooked imo.loved counterpoint hang and from the past puppies.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:17 AM
BrotherLovesDub
barking dog

completely agree. Big Sister is my most listened to RRP. still loving Breaking and Entering too on a nice sunday morning.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:12 PM
crazysugarboy
pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysugarboy View Post
Does anyone else agree with me that this is one of the best tracks u/w have released? It is from the Misterons live broadcast and is now on their myspace page. I cannot stop playing it! Not only is "Peach Tree" one of my fav u/w tracks - it is also from the utterly sublime "I'm a Big Sister.." ep - a piece of music that takes the listener on a journey from a very dark and sinister pine forest with too many memories, along a crystal encrusted river, and finally to the enchanted forest and out into the light - and indeed beyond, to the other place "the back of the world" (does anyone else remember the bbc 1 series of programnes "Tales from Europe" - magical, surreal, dark, and scary fairy tales?) This is such a faaaantastic version, with Karl playing guitar like the legendary Steve Hillage while Rick and Darren add improvs and drum fills - wonderful!!
I submitted the above to the forum recently-ish in response to r&k making the "peach tree jam" from the misterons live broadcast available on their myspace page. I'm quoting it on this thread as it describes my love for the "I'm a Big Sister.." ep