Now playing on dirty.radio: Loading...

Dirty Forums > underworld.

Old 11-04-2019, 03:58 PM
Cadevil
exilio

Re: Drift Ep. 4, Part 6 - Border Country
Of the 3 Phase tracks, I put Give Me the Room tops, but I would guess that Border Country has the most mainstream appeal.

The Phase songs are really interesting collaborations...I feel like it gives the Underworld sound an element of "danger"--maybe dare I say "emerson"-ish sounds.

Not that these are my favorite Drift songs, because they aren't, I just find them to be an interesting experiment.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:19 AM
dubman
BigColor&Excited4SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadevil View Post
Of the 3 Phase tracks, I put Give Me the Room tops, but I would guess that Border Country has the most mainstream appeal.

The Phase songs are really interesting collaborations...I feel like it gives the Underworld sound an element of "danger"--maybe dare I say "emerson"-ish sounds.

shhh, you'll jinx it.

Give Me The Room really soured on me over time. i think it's one of the weakest karl selections of the bunch. "Sanctify" is... not an interesting thing to navel-gaze 50x over about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentingalea View Post
I for one I'm gutted that this made it on the Sampler vinyl release but not Dexter's Chalk which is imho one of their strongest tracks in like ever!
Although I really like DC.... it has both the best and worst of the lyrics! making "a ring, a pinky... if you break the bargain then you go to hell" sound all intense and dark like that, it's nonsense
Old 11-05-2019, 04:58 PM
jetpig
LoveyouLoveyouLoveyou

BC is absolutely my favorite. These collabs with Ashley definitely give UW that dark driving clubby edge that has been missing since Emerson left. Though, I also feel like that sound kinda fell out of favor for a while, until the likes of Gesaffelstein and Daniel Avery brought it back in the middle of the decade.
Old 04-27-2023, 07:38 PM
TheBang
Admaxistrator

We knew the video for Border Country had been kicking around for a while, because before being the music video for BC, the visuals were used as part of the projections at the pre-show for Alexandra Palace's Surreal Carnival Experiment gig in 2017.

However, I found its ultimate genesis here, back in 2011, an unused creation of Simon Taylor and Jan Urbanowski for an installation in Hong Kong:

https://vimeo.com/30784950
Old 04-28-2023, 06:48 PM
aphasein
ping!

Send a message via AIM to aphasein
Interesting that the early version of that BC graphic featured a Coil track - was this odd frission while watching it of recognizing the song and assuming was something from an Underworld soundtrack score until it slowly realigned as Coil.